New member and New owner of a 2003 WRX

This is a discussion on New member and New owner of a 2003 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So basically I am a new member here. Never owned a WRX in my life. But I have recently purchased ...

New member and New owner of a 2003 WRX

So basically I am a new member here. Never owned a WRX in my life. But I have recently purchased an 03 WRX with the bova exhaust, perrin fuel rails and a few other fun mods. But I had one question about this car. I bought it from a private owner who said that the turbo itself was on there before he bought it, but the dummy installed a a turbo timer on there. Is this is any way an indicator that this guy was either an idiot or found out that the turbo was aftermarket and needed the T.T? Reason I am asking is bc I dont want to look like the 17 yr old rich kid out in the driveway waiting for this damn thing to stop so I can set my alarm and go. I as of right now do this just to make sure that if it is needed it dont mess anything up. What should I do here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It could be either or. You can remove the turbo timer either way because the turbos used are oil cooled and water cooled as well.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

I Support ClubWRX
    just remove the turbo timer.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

If there is a turbo timer then he either was being safe to properly cool down the turbo OR he ran it hard and didn't want to kill the turbo after running it and forget to cool it down. Either way you look at it at least he made sure the turbo was cooled no matter what! You can adjust the timer to shut off sooner so just look up the brand and model on the web and it will tell you!
    Big D

Awesome, much appreciated on the info!

welcome to the forum and congrats on the bugeye

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by HeislerRacing View Post
    If there is a turbo timer then he either was being safe to properly cool down the turbo OR he ran it hard and didn't want to kill the turbo after running it and forget to cool it down. Either way you look at it at least he made sure the turbo was cooled no matter what! You can adjust the timer to shut off sooner so just look up the brand and model on the web and it will tell you!
    No. Turbo timers on water-cooled turbos are unnecessary and a waste of fuel. Coolant continues to flow through the turbo even when the car is off. A turbo timer on a WRX is usually indicative of the owner not understanding the car or not doing research before modding. This may become an issue if the owner performed other modifications without first researching.

Anyway, OP, congrats on the Bugeye. Just remove the Turbo Timer; it isn't necessary.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

welcome and congrats on the bugeye!

Yes, bugeye love

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Awesome! Well I did a little more research here on the forums and found that it is the stock turbo on the car and so tomorrow I am ripping that dang thing out. Not needed paper weight. Brand new though! Just put it in the box of uneeded car parts.

Finally some pics to post of this beauty

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WRX(1).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	101647Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WRX(2).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	101648

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

Not sure what kind of weather you deal with there, but many people use turbo timers as an alternative to remote starters to warm their car up before driving.

If it's not causing an issue, I wouldn't bother removing it; you're not going to get much money selling it. If you don't want to use it, turn it off or reduce the time.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Well it gets cold in the winter but for the most part in the summer it gets hot in Kansas. I might just end up leaving it on there and see if it helps with anything in the cold season. But seeing as I will be moving to texas here soon I might not need it.

congrats on the bugeye! looks good... i too have a wrb bugeye. say.. wanna get rid of that wing? lol

2003 WRX- Newbie
    1997 S-10 zr2- work/quad hauler
    1991 crx si-r- all motor B16
    1989 crx si- beater

"It looks like Scarface sneezed on you car!"

Thanks, and as of right now no. Seeing as I have not even been able to get ahold of this thing very much and do anything with it. I am currently in afghanistan right now and have had my brother messing with it. Seeins as he is a mechanic and is currently going through to make sure everything on it is how it should be. I will have more time once I get home to play around with it and do some things that I already know are wrong with it.