New Member with a new to me 02 WRX

This is a discussion on New Member with a new to me 02 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey whats up! I just go my 02 bugeye I have been wanting for a while and I love it! ...

New Member with a new to me 02 WRX

Hey whats up!
    I just go my 02 bugeye I have been wanting for a while and I love it! It is perfect for here in Colorado.
    I have a few questions in anyone can help me on??

1. When I get on it a little getting onto a highway I feel it pulling then it seems to lose it like it wants me to push the pedal more. My mechanic buddy that I bought it from said it has a #3 miss fire and we are doing the tune up this weekend so will that fix it or is it the turbo??

2. I am getting a after market header kit that comes with the up pipe. can I install this or do I have to have the matching after market down pipe at the same time?

Thanks For any help you can give!
    Big D

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    1. If you have a misfire, park the car. You're only going to damage the vehicle if you continue to drive it. A tune up might fix it, it may not. Are there any modifications to this vehicle? How many miles are on it?

2. You can install it yourself, but you should get a tune for it right after you do so, otherwise your car will not perform optimally and you can actually damage your engine.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The uppipe is preferrable but generally aftermarket headers are not. I'd install the uppipe but not the headers.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

That is what my mechanic told me but there is no warning light code coming up when I drive it. He said the code is what he pulled up before i purchased it. It is stock with no mods but I just put a muffler on it for that nice boxer sound. It has 95k miles on it as of today.

Ok I will get a tune ASAP then. Since the car came from sea level and it now is at 8000ft should I get a tune for that or will the car adjust on its own?

Thanks!
    Big D

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by HeislerRacing View Post
    That is what my mechanic told me but there is no warning light code coming up when I drive it. He said the code is what he pulled up before i purchased it. It is stock with no mods but I just put a muffler on it for that nice boxer sound. It has 95k miles on it as of today.

Ok I will get a tune ASAP then. Since the car came from sea level and it now is at 8000ft should I get a tune for that or will the car adjust on its own?

Thanks!
    If you want it to "learn" on it's own you'll need to reset the ECU. Just disconnect that battery and pump the brakes ~10 times. A tune would definitely make your car run the best at that elevation, which is probably what is causing it to hesitate.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    If you want it to "learn" on it's own you'll need to reset the ECU. Just disconnect that battery and pump the brakes ~10 times. A tune would definitely make your car run the best at that elevation, which is probably what is causing it to hesitate.
    Wow I didnt know that, thanks for the help I will give that a try!
    Big D

Quote Originally Posted by HeislerRacing View Post
    Wow I didnt know that, thanks for the help I will give that a try!
    Hey Drews,

Thanks that brakes pump to relearn made it feel a lot better. Its like smoother now!!! Thanks again!
    Big D