car worth getting 141k miles?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on car worth getting 141k miles? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well This is my first post and i am currently looking at a 2004 Wrx Wagon from a local subaru ...

car worth getting 141k miles?

Well This is my first post and i am currently looking at a 2004 Wrx Wagon from a local subaru dealership for $5500 (trying to get it for 5k). I checked out the carfax and there was 3 owners. The first owner had the car from new till 24k miles. The second owner had it from 24k miles up to 115k and the current owner has it now. The current owner is a subaru dealership owner and had the timing belt done at 115k miles (i confirmed with service department). The 2nd owner had all maintainance done to the car as the carfax said. 32k miles, 55k miles, 70k, 77k, 82k, 100k 115k, 130k. I dont know if the clutch has been done yet but i do the know the timing was so im guessing they also did the waterpump and thermostat.

My main questions are:

How reliable would this car be if all maintanance was done being it has 141k miles? I looked at all 04-05 wrx and they want 12k+ for ones with 60k miles or less so i figure wouldnt it be cheaper to buy this car for 5000 then if i had to put 4k into a motor in still at less than what they cost. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, it's an older car, but I have a similar car with all the maintenance done and I would not hesitate to drive it across the country tomorrow. On the other hand all my receipts and parts and maintenance and care won't guarantee the car won't blow up before I leave my own driveway. Getting a used car with a full service history is the best way to go. You're still getting a used car. Have a mechanic look it over and go from there. Nothing you've said would exclude the car from consideration in my view.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Well, it's an older car, but I have a similar car with all the maintenance done and I would not hesitate to drive it across the country tomorrow. On the other hand all my receipts and parts and maintenance and care won't guarantee the car won't blow up before I leave my own driveway. Getting a used car with a full service history is the best way to go. You're still getting a used car. Have a mechanic look it over and go from there. Nothing you've said would exclude the car from consideration in my view.
    yes i understand exactly what your saying. Even if someone gets a brand new car things can break. Does the price of 5k seem legit? I have a mechanic who is very knowledgeable and charges me next to nothin to have motor work and everything done. If the motor went and i had to rebuild it, How much in parts do you think it would cost? Im planning on keeping this car atleast 3-5 years. I guess i just get nervous buying a used car with no warrenty. I guess the good thing is the 2nd owner had all maintanance done and the car is stock so hopefully it wasnt beat. I just feel like why would the owner of a subaru dealership buy a car back in 09 with 115k miles on it if it wasnt a good enough car for himself? Then i also think to myself well then whys he selling it. Sorry for the rant.

I Support ClubWRX
    The price seems low but they vary from region to region. Try to find out why and definitely have the mechanic look it over thoroughly. Gearboxes are suspect also, not just motors, and they are much harder to predict. See the how-to-buy-used threads in the purchasing forum.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The price seems low but they vary from region to region. Try to find out why and definitely have the mechanic look it over thoroughly. Gearboxes are suspect also, not just motors, and they are much harder to predict. See the how-to-buy-used threads in the purchasing forum.
    I did check that. I am going to have him look it all over. I guess im just nervous to buy one bause i dont want have to dump another 4k into it if i don have to. although it will be cheaper then having to buy a low mileage one. If everything runs fine, shifts fine, good oil, and maintainance has been done, do you personally think its worth trying to grab for $5000. I am in MA. All the ones on auto trader are 12k with 60k miles on it. The ones that have 115k+ miles are still selling for 10k+. The owner is bringing it to auction come end of this week. He owns a big subaru dealership around here and they dont even have this car on the inventory because they said they dont usually sell cars with that high mileage

I Support ClubWRX
    The miles themselves are not as large a concern as the history and current state. The price is such that you should be able to sell it as parts and make up the money, provided you have the time and patience to dismantle it if necessary. See why it's low, and if it's just the mile, well... you're still making a $5K bet but you can minimize your risk by listening closely to your mechanic, and your instinct.

I Support ClubWRX
    I paid 4,000 for my 02 with 189,000 miles on it and all service records.. I replaced the valve cover gaskets, stage 2d the car, lowered it, put some grid knock offs on it, drove it around for a year then sold it for 8,000 in 3 minutes of posting it on craigslist...

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.