New to the club
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to the club within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, I just thought I would introduce myself... My name is Angela. I just bought a 2008 WRX two ...

New to the club

Hey everyone,

I just thought I would introduce myself...

My name is Angela. I just bought a 2008 WRX two weeks ago. I came from an '02 WRX (that I loved) but I was rear ended and the insurance company decided to total the car because the frame was bent in a several spots from the impact. Sad day. Anyways, I would love to buy an STI but they are a bit out of my price range at this point in my life. In a few years time I will definitely upgrade but in the mean time I am pleased with my 08' WRX.

The car is basically stock (for now). As far as I can see, the only mods it had when I bought it were an SPT cat back exhaust and an adjustable rear sway bar. It also came with 2011 WRX wheels. I wondered if there would be an issue with the width of the wheels being that the '11 WRX wheels are significantly wider, but there seems to be enough room... if anyone has any thoughts on the wheels I would love to hear them!

Also, I have been thinking about getting an AccessPORT but I don't know that it would be worth it considering I would be running stage 1 maps for a while until I decide to do some other modifications. Any thoughts on that?

Hope to hear from you guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-3.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	101550

my new one

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	281432_2101877100160_1042417818_32417413_1567032_n.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	101551

and heres the old girl. excuse the poorly taped number, I was in a rush
    Last edited by am115995; 01-08-2012 at 07:24 PM.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome and congrats. If you are looking to buy an STi, I would not spend the money on the WRX. If you are planning on tooling around for a while, then an accessport might be a good start. A better start might be a Tactrix cable + opensource tune. What mods were done to your Bugeye?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Thanks!

Yeah I am on the fence on whether to spend the money on the 08 WRX. I'll probably end up buying the STI in a year or two...

The bugeye had a cold air intake, turbo back exhaust, and a tune. It wasn't the fastest car ever but it was fun to drive. I guess everyone probably gets attached to their first subi.

Why do you suggest the tactrix cable and open source tune over the accessport? Cost?

Sorry to hear about the old ride meeting its end and Congrats on the new ride!

I agree with Zack... if a new STI is looming in the future then leave the 08 alone and save more to put down on the new beast. That said though, keeping mods very simple with a ap and stageI or ap and downpipe for stageII will make the car quite a bit more fun (tolerable? ) and keep your interest up for the oncoming STI purchase. Esp if its going to be a few years. There's no sense in suffering while waiting if you can have some fairly inexpensive fun while you wait.

both the tractix cable and the ap are simply interfaces for tuning, however.. you pegged it with cost. I choose to run a ap and use atr for my tuning purposes but everyone has different reasons for choosing the method they choose. I didn't want to have to need a laptop around for basic monitoring or to quickly change a map (say if I was on vaca or buiz trip and had issues with one of my tunes) without needing a laptop handy. Open source can do all the things (if not more?) than a ap and atr software can.. but its not quite as simple as the ap. Part of what you pay cobb for is their support and a well engineered simple tool. You wont quite have the same with open source but if you're mildly computer savvy its a very cost effective way to get the job done.

bottom line, how much ya wanna pay and how much effort you wanna put forth to reach desired end result?

Also, the 11 wheels fit just fine on the non widebody cars (08-10). I've had them on my 2010 for a little while now and no issues what so ever. Aaaannnddd.. wider rubber that fits is never a bad thing
    Last edited by mangostick; 01-08-2012 at 09:27 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.

2011 wheels is good.2011 stock tires in the snow is a BIG no no.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

You can pick up a used ap for 400, and get a fast and easy tune.
    You'll still be able to use it on a future STI, or sell it later.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Welcome.

2011 wheels is good.2011 stock tires in the snow is a BIG no no.
    Totally agree. That picture was taken the day I got the car, there are definitely snow tires on it now. Summers are terrifying in the snow haha

I heard if you buy a used ap you have to make sure it's not "married" to another car? Is that true and how do you tell?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by am115995 View Post
    I heard if you buy a used ap you have to make sure it's not "married" to another car? Is that true and how do you tell?
    Yes, it is true, and you can ask the seller to send you a picture with the initial connection screen, which is only shown when the AP "unmarried". If they can't or won't, walk away.

You can have Cobb unmarry an AP for you for a fee (its not cheap), but that's a hassle and added cost.

Or you can go opensource for half the price of a used AP, and someone with more familiarity with that can fill you in.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

I prefer OpenECU to Cobb, but that's my own preference.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Welcome and Congrats!
    2011 WRX WRB HB, 2011 FORESTER SSM AWP Premium.

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.
    Kurt Cobain

Sounds like I'll have to do a bit more research and decide whats better for me...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by am115995 View Post
    Sounds like I'll have to do a bit more research and decide whats better for me...
    That's the best plan. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, and like you said, just research both and decide what suits your needs and budget best. I'm happy with my AP, but I also live very close to a Cobb protuner, so that was a factor in my decision to go with Cobb.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

i bought my 08 rex last year about this time, and like you, i want an STi, but don't have the funds to make it happen yet, so i went stage II on mine with the cobb AP (picked it up used for 375 shipped) and its OK. i say OK because at my elevation (7600) the stage II tune is no where near perfect. I'm gonna get protuned by theboostcreep as soon as my tax return gets in. Harvey is in longmont, so I'd look into having him protune you if you go stage II.

FWIW though, the car runs MUCH better than it did stock, so until i can make it up to longmont my current tune will suffice.

edit: if you ever want to get rid of the '11 wheels hit me up. i love them
    Josh
    Blue 08 WRX Limited-Cobb AP Stage 2-AEM CAI-Perrin Short throw/bushings-Turbosmart BPV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast