I didn't get a wrx...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on I didn't get a wrx... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys, I made a few posts a while back with some questions about the WRX. Due to the unavailability ...

Smile I didn't get a wrx...

Hi guys, I made a few posts a while back with some questions about the WRX. Due to the unavailability and other reasons, I decided it wasn't possible for me to get a WRX within my price range. I contacted almost every single dealerships in the state and they'd either have STIs or loaded Preimum/Limited models. The dealerships that had the ones I was interested in were pretty much jerks so I decided to look at another brand. Here's what I got:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-01-04 10.35.40.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	101457

I have never driven a RWD nor anything over 220ish hp so this is a BIG step up for me. Not trying to start any flames wars but I would definitely recommend it if you don't need AWD or a sedan. I was skeptical at first because I know there are a lot of mustang owners and one of the reasons why I wanted a Subaru is because how rare it is in my area. But the car looks WAY better in person. I actually wanted to change the wheels but I really think it matches the car perfectly. Also I was a little worried about the issues some people have been having with the manual transmission in the '11 and '12 mustangs. So far none.

Btw, my AWESOME girlfriend got me the Zaino Total Protection Show Car kit for christmas!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-01-05 00.52.41.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	101458

I never knew there was a difference between Polishing vs Waxing but Zaino is non-abrasive polishing materials so it works out perfectly! Right now the only problem is getting used to the manual transmission...I am having a hard time shifting smoothly...this car is def a monster.

Anyway, I hope I can still a part of this Subaru community
    I was really looking forward to giving thumbs up or waving at other Subaru owners, back when I thought I was getting a Subaru.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats on the purchase. Not my cup of tea but still looks good.
    12/27/11 - Ordered
    01/16/12 - Received
    2012 WRX Hatch World Rally Blue

I Support ClubWRX
    congrats

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Congrats on the purchase! I could tell you about my 2006 Mustang GT, but I don't want to come off as uber negative towards the Mustang platform and Ford since I have a hate-hate relationship with Ford in general. Let's just say I am so happy to be out of my 2006 Mustang GT and into a 2012 Subaru WRX.

In all seriousness, if you want to know the corners Ford cut and what problems you may encounter, send me a PM because many of the issues still exist even though Ford tweaked the S197 platform. They aren't that bad or that expensive, but I can tell you what to look out for.

The first mods for your car that I would recommend would be to replace your rear lower control arms, rear upper control arm, and install a Fays2 Watts link. The next series of mods should be front k-member, a-arms, and strut mounts. That about covers all the weak points on the car where Ford cut corners to keep it at a lower price point and those mods will significantly improve handling. Only after addressing those issues should you consider a cold air intake and a tune since they assist in getting the power to the ground.

Word of caution on the cold air intake and tune. Ford sent out a TSB basically telling the dealership to look for signs of ECU access regarding warranty repairs. Basically, if they reasonably suspect that you tuned the car, you may have a fight regarding any warranty work if the engine pops or the transmission goes.

Sorry, went off on a tangent, and I hope I wasn't too negative...
    Last edited by gunz4me; 01-04-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Be careful of those pesky driveshaft failures. Other than that, congrats to you.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Be careful of those pesky driveshaft failures.
    I thought that was only on the V6 stangs?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
    I thought that was only on the V6 stangs?
    Right you are! It's the entire transmission that's the problem on the 5.0's.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Right you are! It's the entire transmission that's the problem on the 5.0's.
    Yet another corner cut to keep the vehicle at a specific price point. To me, it seems out of place to have a Mustang GT without a Tremec transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
    Congrats on the purchase! I could tell you about my 2006 Mustang GT, but I don't want to come off as uber negative towards the Mustang platform and Ford since I have a hate-hate relationship with Ford in general. Let's just say I am so happy to be out of my 2006 Mustang GT and into a 2012 Subaru WRX.

In all seriousness, if you want to know the corners Ford cut and what problems you may encounter, send me a PM because many of the issues still exist even though Ford tweaked the S197 platform. They aren't that bad or that expensive, but I can tell you what to look out for.

The first mods for your car that I would recommend would be to replace your rear lower control arms, rear upper control arm, and install a Fays2 Watts link. The next series of mods should be front k-member, a-arms, and strut mounts. That about covers all the weak points on the car where Ford cut corners to keep it at a lower price point and those mods will significantly improve handling. Only after addressing those issues should you consider a cold air intake and a tune since they assist in getting the power to the ground.

Word of caution on the cold air intake and tune. Ford sent out a TSB basically telling the dealership to look for signs of ECU access regarding warranty repairs. Basically, if they reasonably suspect that you tuned the car, you may have a fight regarding any warranty work if the engine pops or the transmission goes.

Sorry, went off on a tangent, and I hope I wasn't too negative...

No!! I really appreciate your insight...this is just my DD. Do you think those mods really be necessary? Do they void the warranty and how much?

I actually did think about getting a 87 tune because I heard it has many benefits but didn't want to void the warranty. At least for now, I don't feel the need to increase hp. My understanding is until the engine is properly broken, you'll get about 350ish hp (I forgot how much torque) and after 1-2k miles and with good gas, it'll reach its full potential. So far I have less than 400 miles...I can't imagine having 50+ more hp lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ihavefat View Post
    No!! I really appreciate your insight...this is just my DD. Do you think those mods really be necessary? Do they void the warranty and how much?
    Necessary, no BUT as the factory parts fail over time when your warranty is up, I'd suggest replacing the flimsy factory pieces with the stronger and lighter aftermarket pieces that are available. The thing I like about the watts link is it was more predictable than the panhard bar when it came to re-centering the rear axle in turns and curves. I won't say it improved the ride though because there was a complete Ford Racing suspension that on the vehicle when I purchased it used in October 2007.

Speaking of Ford Racing, those are parts that you CAN have dealer installed on your car and NOT void your warranty. So that is something else to consider.

I Support ClubWRX
    i approve!! i want to get a new 5.0 to go with my 88 5.0 lol. Go Mustangs!
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice car! I've rented the newer model Mustangs, and while it's not for me I can see where it would appeal to a lot of people.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ihavefat View Post
    The dealerships that had the ones I was interested in were pretty much jerks so I decided to look at another brand.
    You know the dealer doesn't come with the car, right? Most dealers aren't too fond of me by the time I get done haggling them. Sorry, but I just don't approve of this choice.
    Greg
    Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Cute.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    Congratulations.

What was your price range for the Subaru & how much did you get the Stang for?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast