JDM Right side drive Bugeye - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on JDM Right side drive Bugeye within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 Hmm. I'm looking at the site my ex used to import cars to the USA and ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    Hmm. I'm looking at the site my ex used to import cars to the USA and they still show 04 as a bugeye unless it's a typo
    Only the Americas got a bugeye as late as summer 2003. The rest of the world got blobeyes in 2003, not 2004.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    zomg... this thread is full of fail.

OP... While you're over in okinawa or iwakuni... you should trade that one in for a bugeye STi. You could make a really good profit on one of those here in the states.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Some light reading...

Vehicle Importation and Certification Requirements

Quick Overview of Vehicle Import Requirements | Importing Vehicles and Engines | US EPA

I dunno, I'm really curious how the OP got all of this worked out. How did you get emissions approval and safety ratings? The DOT says that even if the only difference is RHD compared to a US-spec car (and that isn't the only difference between a JDM and USDM bugeye), they still need either crash data, or a letter from the manufacturer.

I'd really like to know how the OP worked it all out. I travel to Japan regularly, so if it's even remotely feasible to completely legally pull off, I'd definitely look into bringing back a JDM subie. Everytime I try to untangle the web of import laws, I just get confused and sad.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    Hmm. I'm looking at the site my ex used to import cars to the USA and they still show 04 as a bugeye unless it's a typo
    Yeah, typo.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

With me transferring to san Diego and luckily for me I'm not in iwakuni or Okinawa! I'm in atsugi makes this a lot easier, all I have to do is add it to my pack out and make sure all hazmat is out of the car, ie. engine oil diff and trannfy fluid, coolant etc etc etc

Bugeye STIs are hard to come by out here I've been here two years and have yet to see one. This is the first bugeye ive seen that's NOT RICED OUT.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Ralph!!! View Post
    With me transferring to san Diego and luckily for me I'm not in iwakuni or Okinawa! I'm in atsugi makes this a lot easier, all I have to do is add it to my pack out and make sure all hazmat is out of the car, ie. engine oil diff and trannfy fluid, coolant etc etc etc
    Ok, that explains the easy part, what about registration once you're stateside?

Sent using Tapatalk
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

To Rambo
    I just did weeks of research called the DMV then they gave me some phone numbers to call, from there I called those numbers along with importers to see what I had to do and done the only major differences with safety features are doors glass airbags and bumpers, so I tracked those down on eBay ordered them and had them sent to me. That was the hardest part. Once that was done, all I had to do was get the tuning done. That'll have to wait til I transference to the states. When I spoke to some of the importers on the west coast they insisted on replacing the ECM, but I know for a fact that they can simply be retuned to a us dot spec WRX and that would save a good chunk. A buddy of mine took an r33 gtr back to the states and he also walked me through on what he did. He had no problems with customs. Another we around all the hassle is to take the car and tear it apart add to my pack out and then put it back together when I get it.

As long as it passes emissions and meets US DOT regs I can legally register it as a dd

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Ralph!!! View Post
    As long as it passes emissions and meets US DOT regs I can legally register it as a dd
    To be honest, I don't think the car will pass U.S. Emissions Regulations. Subaru had a hard time passing U.S. emissions regulations when bringing the EJ205 to the U.S.A. I don't believe that the rest of the world received 3 catalytic converters, TGVs, and EVAP system IIRC, and this would be the reason USDM WRXs received this equipment.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

To Zax
    I appreciate the input I wasn't aware of that! I'll have to get a jump on getting all of that squared away. I wonder if I can simply continue to purchase and swap emissions system parts. Then again what if I just go with all after market performance parts??? Then tune it? That's what people do nowadays.

Or the few scooby guys I have met in the past had all upgraded aftermarket parts. Idk I've got a full year to work this out.

excuse my noobish-ness, but arent you just taking a JDM bugeye (granted with low mileage) and basically turning it into a RHD USDM bugeye with all the aftermarket/USDM parts you are putting on there and then worrying about importing, etc, correct? wouldnt it just be cheaper and probably easier to get a LHD USDM and convert to RHD?

edit: i do understand, of course, that saying you have a JDM bugeye is probably cooler than saying you converted your bugeye to RHD, but still
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Personally...I wouldn't have "wasted" time on this with a Subaru. I would have went right for the R33 or R34. But, it's a cool story to follow. Hope it works out!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

The skylines out here such as r-32s r-33s run up to 15-20k r-34s cannot be imported unless you purchase multiple for crash testing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.