is it borla? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on is it borla? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by EJ257 Only one guy locally had the Borla and its been a few years since I heard ...

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Only one guy locally had the Borla and its been a few years since I heard it. Not sure if you've heard one recently, is it about as loud as mine?

ELHs on a Subaru sound awesome, IMO. It will quiet the exhaust a bit, and make it sound more like a Porsche than Honda.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    I have a Borla on the LGT...it's quiet but sounds nice.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

All the borla's that I've heard in person are deep and rich toned but over all pretty quiet. About same db as the spt but the sound tuning is much much better.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    All the borla's that I've heard in person are deep and rich toned but over all pretty quiet. About same db as the spt but the sound tuning is much much better.
    Much, much better. I love it sounds almost stock at idle...then you get on it and fly by people who think it's just a mom car (the LGT that is). With an estimated 293 whp/305 wtq it's nothing to sneeze at And Borla still sounds mean at WOT.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Thanx everyone for your help. I made my choice and order the borla exhaust.i should have it a week or so. After installation i will post a vid. I know its not gona be the same but at least will give an idea

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman_ny View Post
    Hi to all wrx lovers. "Recently" i posted a thread about swaping my 2006 wrx automatic to 5 speed. After reading all opinions i decided not to do it.So i traded my 06 wrx for 2011 rally blue wrx sedan. I love it!!!! I just installed invidia dp on it and looking for some good and loud exhaust.So far everything comes up to Borla. Never heard it on the street but after some research looks like its the only one that will work for me.its kind of pricey but hopefully worth it.Any suggestions? Thank you for any advise.
    I did a bit of research on Borla exhaust. I heard that it's pretty subtle and stock-ish around town, but but comes alive a WOT with the stock downpipe. Another thread I read, the OP initially had it on a stage 1 tune and liked it. Then he installed a cat-less downpipe and it became obnoxiously loud and he uninstalled it (I hear most CBE become very loud and raspy with cat-less downpipes ... anyone can correct me if I'm wrong). Also, if you're thinking of a Borla CBE, I would not get an Invida downpipe ... they don't mate very well with out additional modification which may lead to some problems down the road (Invida 3" and the Borla made to mate with stock so 2.5")

I decided on a Borla and will be receiving it on Monday. I liked the engineering behind it ... with the multicore design which produces zero drone with out the need of a resonator and it's quality. Plus, I got it through my brother at an unbelievable deal. I will be installing it with a Cobb catted downpipe. Once installed ... I'll let you know what I think.
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman_ny View Post
    Thanx everyone for your help. I made my choice and order the borla exhaust.i should have it a week or so. After installation i will post a vid. I know its not gona be the same but at least will give an idea
    The best way (which is still not great, as you found) to give people an idea of exhaust sound through internet vids is to do a before and after comparison. It still won't give a good idea of how it sounds in person, but at least there can be some comparison with stock.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wussola View Post
    I did a bit of research on Borla exhaust. I heard that it's pretty subtle and stock-ish around town, but but comes alive a WOT with the stock downpipe. Another thread I read, the OP initially had it on a stage 1 tune and liked it. Then he installed a cat-less downpipe and it became obnoxiously loud and he uninstalled it (I hear most CBE become very loud and raspy with cat-less downpipes ... anyone can correct me if I'm wrong). Also, if you're thinking of a Borla CBE, I would not get an Invida downpipe ... they don't mate very well with out additional modification which may lead to some problems down the road (Invida 3" and the Borla made to mate with stock so 2.5")

I decided on a Borla and will be receiving it on Monday. I liked the engineering behind it ... with the multicore design which produces zero drone with out the need of a resonator and it's quality. Plus, I got it through my brother at an unbelievable deal. I will be installing it with a Cobb catted downpipe. Once installed ... I'll let you know what I think.
    This thread is 6 months old...

On mating a 2.5" to a 3" that's very easy. They sell flanges to make it fit perfectly. The only issue can be the length of putting the extra flange in there and the exhaust length not quite fitting correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    The best way (which is still not great, as you found) to give people an idea of exhaust sound through internet vids is to do a before and after comparison. It still won't give a good idea of how it sounds in person, but at least there can be some comparison with stock.
    See above our friend drug up a thread that's 6 months old.....
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    See above our friend drug up a thread that's 6 months old.....
    Whoops!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Regardless of age, I'm interested, lookin.g at same dp and exhaust setup. Please post results and impressions when you have them.

This thread is 6 months old...
    Ops ... my bad.

On mating a 2.5" to a 3" that's very easy. They sell flanges to make it fit perfectly. The only issue can be the length of putting the extra flange in there and the exhaust length not quite fitting correctly.

I spoke to a guy who recently installed a Borla on his car with an Invida downpipe. He said that he had purchased a flange, but still had to cut something off the Borla exhaust to make it mate and it sounded like he was talking about the connection; however, maybe he meant what you said above. Not exactly sure what he did or why he did it. Either way, sounds like a lot of extra work and if you're cutting and re-welding ... that doesn't sound like the best idea especially when you can buy a down pipe that will mate perfectly ... that's my 2 cents.

I'll let you know what I think of the exhaust combo once it's installed.
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

I installed the Cobb Catted downpipe and Borla ATAK CBE last week. The install was very straight forward and easy. All I have to say about the Borla is that it is LOUD and has a huge amount of drone, especially on the highway. I will be un-installing it next week once I get the new gaskets for my stock CBE in the mail.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12