Hoping to buy a WRX, but i have a few questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Hoping to buy a WRX, but i have a few questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying a wrx and wanted to know what you guys thought I should know before ...

Hoping to buy a WRX, but i have a few questions

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about buying a wrx and wanted to know what you guys thought I should know before shopping for one. What are potential problems with the car? What should I look for when test driving one. I don't have a huge budget, but do you feel $10-$15k is enough to get a reliable one. (04 -05 model). I have a 2004 Rx8 and although the thing is a blast to drive, its been a headache. (Please mazda fix the apex seals and improve mpg... its all we ask!) Given my budget all the cars I'm finding are about 100k miles plus. Would it still last me about 5 years? Would it be reliable? Any tips you can give me would be great. Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rx8.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	101157

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, I am currently looking for one myself. I would say that you can find a good one in your price range. But, try to look for one that is stock and was never modded. You can't trust other people and their mechanical skills.
    - Nicky -
    2006 WRX Steel Gray
    23:4--3:6--27:1

Go into the newbie room and there are faq's like the ones your asking on there answered

Check out the buying subforum, I have a sticky thread there (I'm pretty sure there's a link in my sig), and there are a couple of other sticky threads certainly worth investigating.

There is no reason why an unmodified, unabused WRX can't go 300-400k miles on all the original stuff.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by DerTrommler View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm thinking about buying a wrx and wanted to know what you guys thought I should know before shopping for one. What are potential problems with the car? What should I look for when test driving one. I don't have a huge budget, but do you feel $10-$15k is enough to get a reliable one. (04 -05 model). I have a 2004 Rx8 and although the thing is a blast to drive, its been a headache. (Please mazda fix the apex seals and improve mpg... its all we ask!) Given my budget all the cars I'm finding are about 100k miles plus. Would it still last me about 5 years? Would it be reliable? Any tips you can give me would be great. Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rx8.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	101157
    Impossible to answer questions like these because they're so subjective. Sure a 100k+ mile car will last 5 years if you drive it 10 miles a week, but not if you drive it 1000 a week. Do you drive aggressively 24/7? Are you going to baby it? Did the original driver take care of it?

Subarus tend to hold up very well in general, but a WRX is definitely going to require more love than a base Impreza. If you suck at driving stick you're probably going to have to buy a clutch unless you can find one that already had it replaced.

There are tons of posts like this on the board and you won't find many solid answers because the best one is "it depends".

Thanks for all the responses guys!

I checked out the buying a wrx post and it did answer most of my questions. As for the driving I'll be doing I have to drive my car for work and I'm a traveling sales rep. My territory isn't that big, but I usually log anywhere from 1,500 - 2,000 miles a month. Obviously I don't drive hard at work, do you think this car would hold up well with that kind of mileage monthly or should I look at something else?

Your biggest issue will be gas mileage...honestly you'd be best with something that gets you 30+ on regular as opposed to having to fill up with premium 2 or 3 times a week.

But there's no reason why a WRX in good shape that has been taken care of by the previous owner(s), wouldn't last another few years + as long as you stay on top of the maintenance and take care of it yourself. The biggest issue is finding one that has been unmodded with a good documented history of maintenance.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

It has been tough to find one bone stock, but I agree with you I'm not touching anything that's been modified.

Gas mileage obviously is something to consider, but as I mentioned in my op I currently have a Mazda Rx8. That means right now I'm getting an average of 18 mpg. There's no way the wrx is quite that bad and yes the 8 takes premium too. You're right tho a 30+ regular gas car would be more practical, but that can be said for every one of us here. We all have our way of justifying what we want tho right? ;-)

valid point...I drive an STI which I don't see better than 20mpgs considering I don't drive all highway...and I drive 40 miles a day

Going stage 2 can actually improve mileage one or two mpgs...so there's my justification for wanting to do that soon
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

It has been tough to find one bone stock, but I agree with you I'm not touching anything that's been modified.

Gas mileage obviously is something to consider, but as I mentioned in my op I currently have a Mazda Rx8. That means right now I'm getting an average of 18 mpg. There's no way the wrx is quite that bad and yes the 8 takes premium too. You're right tho a 30+ regular gas car would be more practical, but that can be said for every one of us here. We all have our way of justifying what we want tho right? ;-)
    Ive got a 2011 WRX and average about 16. I live in the city so its traffic driving. When Im on the highway only and cruising at 75 I get about 22

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

I like the way you think bro

From what I'm finding on this site seems like the WRX would be reliable although the claimed 20/27 mileage may be a bit of a stretch. Hopefully I can find a good one and I'll be joining you guys. Thanks for all your help!

I do a lot of highway and I still get 18 =/. Rx8s are horrific for mileage tho. I expected the wrx to be much better than my car, but seems its just barely better.

Also keep in mind that mileage will also be determined by your right foot...big difference between boosting and not boosting, but then again, what fun is that

I do a lot of highway and I still get 18 =/. Rx8s are horrific for mileage tho. I expected the wrx to be much better than my car, but seems its just barely better.
    over the last 5K or so I've averaged 23.3 MPG's, it just depends how you drive it and the conditions (I live in Iowa so not much traffic), once snow starts falling my MPG's will go down a little bit (can't help myself - it's too fun to drive in the snow) but I've taken road trips and averaged around 24.5-25 on the interstate and I've managed 28+ on the highway (55-60mph when the kids are in the car). I have a 2010 stock (except SPT CBE).

I got an '05 with 100k miles at at a Toyota dealership with 2 year aftermarket warranty for 14k. All the maintenance done at a neighboring Subie dealership and no mods. So it is possible to find one at that price range. Then again I looked for 8 months =/

And like Jlninnell, I too have been averaging about ~23.5 miles per gallon and thats driving like an ass-hat half the time(80/20 Fwy/street).
    Took a trip with the family up to the snow last weekend. Broke the hit 300 miles before the gas light turned on. And this is having fun on twisty mountain roads and going 75-80 on the interstate.

Honestly, if I were you and was getting 18 miles per gallon average with mostly freeways miles. The WRX would be a god send to me.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.