New Subaru Owner (Finally!) - Help with Lights!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Subaru Owner (Finally!) - Help with Lights! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello ClubWRX, My first post after lurking for a few months and getting my first Subi a couple of weeks ...

New Subaru Owner (Finally!) - Help with Lights!

Hello ClubWRX,

My first post after lurking for a few months and getting my first Subi a couple of weeks ago. What I did notice (and was warned) is that the lights are TERRIBLE on the WRX and I really need something better driving around Denver and into the mountains. Outrunning the lights is way too easy. I actually have not driven with the high beams on yet because it's been all city, but I want something bright that is not a high beam for regular driving.

I have read a ton of threads on driving lights, HID kits, retrofit HID upgrade, and I'm a little overwhelmed. I'm considering, as a first step, of just wiring some Hella 500FF to the OEM fog light holder (with either Kartboy or homemade bracket), but I'm worried that will do little or nothing for actual night visibility due to the position low on the bumper. Also, since I have a base WRX, I am not certain how hard/easy it is to create a separate on/off for just those lights. Again, since I am not looking for better performance with high beams for now, just low beam improvement, I don't want to wire it into the high beams. So this is why it sounded to me like a HID conversion (with retrofit) is the way to go.

That being said, I'm looking for advice. I want greatly improved night visibility under non-high beam conditions and would prefer something that turns on with my regular headlights. I'm willing to go with street-legal lights mounted on a rally bar or something like that as well. Give me your ideas!
    Last edited by kukusz; 12-19-2011 at 05:23 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I am strongly considering this kit now, 330 bones seems like it's worth it.

Morimoto Retro-Fit Kit

After reading this thread:

2011 WRX Bi-Xenon Retrofit

I just did the lightwerkz hid retrofit on 2011 wrx. I cant believe how much of a difference they make! It looks like the kit you are looking at is very similar to the lightwerks kit, so I would highly recommened the change. One thing, make sure you have plenty of time to complete the project. The disassembly of the lens took longer than I expected. I baked the headlight for 7 minutes at 275 and it was still slightly difficult to pull it apart. Also, the middle mount on my 2011 was no bolt, it was a ball in a tight pocket mechanism and I ended up having to pop it out. Be prepared to get glue on yourself and your tools too!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Thanks - I reached out to lightwerkz to give me a quote for a kit for my 2012 (should be the same as 2011).

When you say you can't believe how much difference it makes, any way to quantify it? I don't mind spending the money and time to do this, but compared to stock, how much better is driving at night?

IMO the retro-fit would be your best bet for the best quality results, but if you don't want to drop the $330 or whatever it is for the kit, check out the H11-H9 modification. I just did it on my car and am more than happy with the results. The bulbs are inexpensive and the modification to the H9 only takes about 5mins.

oh, and welcome!!
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    IMO the retro-fit would be your best bet for the best quality results, but if you don't want to drop the $330 or whatever it is for the kit, check out the H11-H9 modification. I just did it on my car and am more than happy with the results. The bulbs are inexpensive and the modification to the H9 only takes about 5mins.

oh, and welcome!!
    So something like:

H11 to H9 conversion. DIY with temps - NASIOC

Seems like there could be an issue with the wires overheating, but it seems like it's ok? Also, is driving at night improved a decent amount with the H9s?

Thanks!

The wires are fine.

The H9s put out 2x the ammt of lumens as the H11s. Yea, driving at night is 100% better.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by kukusz View Post
    Also, is driving at night improved a decent amount with the H9s?
    Answered my own question:

Difference between H9 and H11 bulbs?

Seems like the H9s are significantly brighter.

Edit:

H9: 1760-2240lm
    H11: 1100-1400lm
    Morimoto HIDs: 2850-3100lm

So the HIDs are definitely brighter still but the H9 might be almost 100% brighter than the stock H11. Should be good enough. Anyone know how long the H9 runs in the subi since it runs hotter and harder (that's what she said?) than the H11? The HIDs are rated at 2500 hours, which is a pretty long time.
    Last edited by kukusz; 12-18-2011 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kukusz View Post
    Thanks - I reached out to lightwerkz to give me a quote for a kit for my 2012 (should be the same as 2011).

When you say you can't believe how much difference it makes, any way to quantify it? I don't mind spending the money and time to do this, but compared to stock, how much better is driving at night?
    So its not the best picture but here is the end result

I dont have a before picture, but u can compare to what u have now. That is a wall at approx. 20 feet. I have also noticed things lighting up to the sides of the vehicle that none of my cars have done before, such cross street signs

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    The wires are fine.

The H9s put out 2x the ammt of lumens as the H11s. Yea, driving at night is 100% better.
    Thanks again - does it matter what brand of H9s I go with? I might try this out and see how it goes and if I'm still not happy I can bling it up with a full retrofit later.

Ok last question (maybe) - It looks like I should get an OEM H9, however I am not sure on the 2012 whether the DRL use the low beam or high beam. I would like to disable them if they use the low beam since the H9 filament life is significantly shorter.

I Support ClubWRX
    The DRLs are the high beam.If you look in the thread in my sig there is a description on how to disable them in post #56
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    The DRLs are the high beam.If you look in the thread in my sig there is a description on how to disable them in post #56
    The point being, though, I don't need to disable them for any of these options since I will not be touching the high beams. Cool, yeah I think if memory serves the DRL relay is behind the front bumper on the right I've been reading a lot of threads lately, this is addicting. I think I pulled the car out of the lot and was already thinking about upgrades.

Looking at these.

Piaa H9 Bulb Xtreme White 19665 - PIAA - 19665

Hella H9

Do they count as safe for the H9 conversion?
    Last edited by kukusz; 12-18-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Turns out the Autozone down the street has the German made OSRAM H9 for $15 a pop, so I couldn't wait and got a pair of those. So far I did the left light and I'll wait until dark to plug in the right light so I can compare the before and after.

Edit: It looks much better than the stock Philips H11s. Still might have to eventually go with a HID retrofit, though
    Last edited by kukusz; 12-18-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast