Hopeful owner from NY. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hopeful owner from NY. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone. I know I disappeared from here for quite some time but my wrx search has continued! I was ...

Hi everyone. I know I disappeared from here for quite some time but my wrx search has continued! I was too busy with renovating and other moving projects to devote much time to the search the past few months but I've recently stepped it up again. Another prospect is one the horizon, a bit more in my price range this time It's an auto, but at this point I'm not going to be too picky about it. Hopefully going out this weekend to drive it again and maybe talk turkey. Until then I'll continue to lurk here!
    Last edited by Pandapocalypse; 04-05-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: no longer applicable

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey everyone, still in the hunt for a wrx (I'm very picky lol). Question for you experts. My latest hopeful is a 2002 wagon with 91k on it. Everything is stock etc. It's located a couple hours away from me so I've been talking with the dealer quite a bit. Eventually I brought up having compression and leakdown tests down and he didn't go for it, anything beyond inspecting normal wear items would have to be done out of my pocket. My question is how important are these tests? The car is a great deal otherwise but I don't really want to shell out $200 (his price for the tests), nor do I want to buy a ticking time bomb.

Do I suck it up and pay for the tests or buy it and do them myself later on with fingers crossed?

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandapocalypse View Post
    Hey everyone, still in the hunt for a wrx (I'm very picky lol). Question for you experts. My latest hopeful is a 2002 wagon with 91k on it. Everything is stock etc. It's located a couple hours away from me so I've been talking with the dealer quite a bit. Eventually I brought up having compression and leakdown tests down and he didn't go for it, anything beyond inspecting normal wear items would have to be done out of my pocket. My question is how important are these tests? The car is a great deal otherwise but I don't really want to shell out $200 (his price for the tests), nor do I want to buy a ticking time bomb.

Do I suck it up and pay for the tests or buy it and do them myself later on with fingers crossed?
    Very important. IMO, it's better to shell out the money for the tests because if the car ends up being a dud, you're only 200 bucks in the hole rather than thousands. If it's at a dealership I'd would work hard to get them to do the tests for free. If they don't find another place to go. $200 bucks to satisfy a customer is a minimal cost and will only cut into the comission of the sales person. If they don't want to do it for buyer peace of mind, go elsewhere, you'll get better service. I'd also ask about the timing belt and when the last dealer service was completed.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking that would be the consensus, I'm just getting tired of looking and a little desperate lol. I think their issue was that the car is only $7900 And I don't think they want to bother with it for such a cheap car. Still I agree that they should be willing for my peace of mind.

Eh, even if it's a "cheap" car they should still provide good customer service. A compression test will really help you determine the health of the engine. That being said, a stock bugeye with relatively low miles on it is also not something to throw away lightly. I would maybe offer to pay for half of the test cost and see if they go for that. Otherwise it'll come down to just how tired you are of searching. You may have found a winner, and as Drews said that would certainly be worth the $200.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Thanks for the input CB. I called them back tonight and told them the tests were a non-negotiable condition of me buying the car, and I took your advice and offered to pay for some of the cost. Even as I think about it more myself, I guess $200 is a petty amount to ensure the health of the car, and bugeye wagons are my favorite I'd be crushed to let it slip away.

Additionally, out of the whole wide world of Calvin&Hobbes comics your avatar comes from one of my favorites Top form.
    Last edited by Pandapocalypse; 04-05-2012 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You're one of the few that actually listen to our advice. As we both stated, 200 bucks in the grand scheme of things is nothing. If it's the car you want and you're planning on keeping it a while, it's better to shell out two Benjis rather than spend 4k on a rebuild right away.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I hope it works out for you, bugeye wagons are teh bestest!
    - Will

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    You're one of the few that actually listen to our advice.
    Why join a forum to ignore the advice of experienced owners? Well, it's been a couple days, no return phone call, and they're not answering my calls. Could be coincidence but I'm starting to think they know something is off with the car:/ Ah well, the hunt continues; with all applicable testing!

Update time! Finally think I found a buyer for the Honda, now I have to decide between 2 cars.

Choice 1: the 2002 bugeye wagon previously mentioned.
    Pros-Black, all stock, 91k miles
    Cons-No service/maintenance records, dealer is kind of a tool

Choice 2: 2005 saab 9-2x aero 108k miles
    Pros-cold weather package (seat heaters to keep my rump toasty), original owner (subaru tech) with all maintenance records and receipts. Timing belt service already done as well as water pump and brakes/other misc. repairs. About 2.5 hours closer distance wise.
    Cons-Silver, higher price, modded. It's got lowering springs/struts, catless up-pipe, downpipe, sti catback and air intake pipe. On the one hand the mods might be nice, save me money down the road and they were all professionally installed, on the other hand I just never feel right buying a modified car, you don't add go fast parts to drive a car gently imo.

Just thinking out loud here going to look at them tomorrow, I might finally be a legitimate member here by the weekend!

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeeaaah buddy! Both cars sound great honestly. There is nothing wrong with mods if the car was taken car of.

The only thing I'd ask on the Saab is how he tuned it. If he acts like he doesn't know then walk. If he sounds knowledgeable about it then it shouldn't be a problem
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I know I haven't stopped talking about them all day lol. Actually I think my choice was just made for me, Saab guy never tuned the car:/ we had a bad connection in our initial phone call and I could've sworn he said he tuned it. Anyways there's no way I'm touching an untuned modded car so bigeye here I come!

I Support ClubWRX
    A Subaru Tech who didn't tune for those mods?!?!? Never go to the shop he works for lol

BTW don't forget how much we love pics!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Yeah my thoughts exactly. He tried to tell me that it didn't need tubing b/c it was a stock turbo. I said yeah I don't think that's how it works and hung up. If I actually buy it there will be a deluge of pics don't worry!

Thumbs down to that subaru tech! Unbelievable.
    - Will

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast