Bugeyed Noobie

This is a discussion on Bugeyed Noobie within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone. I'm online a lot and am a huge fan of WRC, but have just recently become fanatical over ...

Bugeyed Noobie

Hello everyone.

I'm online a lot and am a huge fan of WRC, but have just recently become fanatical over learning about car things after trading in my '01 Eclipse GT on an '02 WRX a couple months back. I discovered this forum while searching for means to change the tranny fluid and have just been sucked into learning every little detail about my car. This community seems very helpful and very chill, so I hope I'll be at home.

I had a couple questions about my car. The previous owned had installed a CAI, Magnaflow (eugh) exhaust, and a TurboXS boost controller, which he had turned up WAY too high. I now know it was probably a stupid idea to go through with the purchase, but all I could think was "Scoobiescoobiescoobie rallyrallyrally unghunghungh." I was very unaware of the transmission problems of the '02 or the WRX in general, and extremely ignorant to the driving technique required by an AWD. My old Eclipse was just so darn abuse-resistant, I thought I could drive this one any way I wanted.

If tl;dr, this is the important part.
    After feeling the fuel cut in third gear with it hammered, I decided to take a look at the boost controller. While my boost wasn't topping out the 15psi gauge, it still concerned me that it was set to as high as it could possibly go. I don't know what the exact boost level was since it was just a screw mechanism, but I backed it down to low boost pressure, I noticed my clutch slipping badly and my transmission grinding with a terrible noise. Not a week after I bought the car, the clutch completely burnt up. Completely. $900 for an OEM Luk brand clutch at a local tranny shop that doesn't really know how to work on my car, but the only one that did was about an hour away and the car was going nowhere. My questions are A) is it possible that all the extra torque generated by the excess boost tore my clutch apart and B) if I were to just take the boost controller off, is there supposed to be some sort of stock controller there already? My clutch is fixed and works, albeit somewhat strangely, and the transmission grinding noise is louder than the sound of the engine from inside the car.

Thanks in advance for any help! <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

pics just to show off.

Also, could someone identify my wheels?

I would work on getting it as back to stock as possible. Try finding a stock air box and removing the boost controller. I'm not to sure what to tell ya about the boost controller though...I never had a manual one...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I know this sounds so damn stupid, but the aesthetics of the cold air plus the cost of even more parts makes me hesitant to switch out the intake. I'm most concerned about the boost controller. Is there supposed to be a stock one, or is it just a straight vacuum hose? I have a stepdown that I could put in its place, but I'm not sure if there has to be a controller there.