I want 400WHP!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I want 400WHP!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just kidding guys. I hear that is the norm for a noob like me. What I'm really looking to do ...

I want 400WHP!!!

Just kidding guys. I hear that is the norm for a noob like me.

What I'm really looking to do is get a feel for what I should be doing first as far as inexpensive (<$500) power mods to get the most bang for the buck. I am new to WRXs and even to turbo cars for that matter, so bear with me please...

I have a 2011 WRX with about 12,000mi on it, and I have an Accessport currently running the Stage 1 93 octane map (the HWG version because I wasn't hitting target boost). I have a AEM CAI, and Invidia catless DP in the mail, and I'm just wondering what else you experts out there would be looking to do as far as cheap and easy power mods. I'm not looking to build a monster; otherwise I would have started with an STi. Just looking to make my daily driver as fun as possible without investing buckets of cash.

Before the lectures about brakes and suspension start rolling in, I already have done a couple minor things in those areas and looking to do more as money (read: my wife's patience) permits.

Thanks,

Ben

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Buy a used turboback exhaust and flash a stage 2 map with your AP... Welcome...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Buy a used turboback exhaust and flash a stage 2 map with your AP... Welcome...

Great advice, thanks. Didn't think about trying to find a used exhaust. Definitely flashing the stage 2 as soon as my DP comes in.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    As for the 400whp... I want each cowboy cheerleader to pull train on me.. Hell.. Figured since we were wishing...

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Love the title of the thread. Trolling from the start hahaha! Welcome to the forum
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Lol, -trollolololl- However good advice on the tune and exhaust.. I dunno how much bhp I'll eventually go for but for now I'm all about turning and burning, breaking and turning are on my to do list.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

welcome :]

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Haha, thanks for the warm welcome all. Sorry for the title...I just got a bit of a chuckle reading some of the past newbie threads and thought I'd follow suit.

Quick follow-on questions: I'm guessing a hybrid BPV/BOV is just for sound and doesn't really have a positive effect on performance. Is this true? Also, would a boost controller be redundant since the AP already raises boost? Thanks.

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrock171 View Post
    I'm guessing a hybrid BPV/BOV is just for sound and doesn't really have a positive effect on performance. Is this true? Also, would a boost controller be redundant since the AP already raises boost? Thanks.
    Yes, and yes.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Since you already have a DP on the way get a protune.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    Yes, and yes.

Thanks.

Also, would a boost controller be redundant since the AP already raises boost? Thanks.
    Not necessarily. A 3 port electronic boost controller does a better job at regulating boost, but will require a custom tune. I would say that you wouldn't benefit much from one now but something to think about if you continue modding
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    Since you already have a DP on the way get a protune.
    Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Not necessarily. A 3 port electronic boost controller does a better job at regulating boost, but will require a custom tune. I would say that you wouldn't benefit much from one now but something to think about if you continue modding
    Thanks guys. I'll look into getting a protune once I decide what additional mods I'm willing to make. FMIC kits seem to be about the same price as a turbo! Internals are pretty much out of the question, so I'm not sure what else that leaves me with. Might consider doing a turbo swap if I can avoid having to make a bunch of supporting mods. Thoughts?

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Thanks guys. I'll look into getting a protune once I decide what additional mods I'm willing to make. FMIC kits seem to be about the same price as a turbo! Internals are pretty much out of the question, so I'm not sure what else that leaves me with. Might consider doing a turbo swap if I can avoid having to make a bunch of supporting mods. Thoughts?
    If that is your hope then don't even consider a turbo swap. Until you are willing to do all the proper supporting mods then don't even consider it. FMIC has absolutely no reason to go onto your car now or in the near future based on your mods and plans
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast