I want 400WHP!!! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on I want 400WHP!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Welcome to the forum. Just because I don't think anyone else picked up on this, the Cobb stg2 map calls ...

Welcome to the forum.

Just because I don't think anyone else picked up on this, the Cobb stg2 map calls for a catted downpipe. That map won't work well with the catless invidia you mentioned. Also, (may just be a typo on your part) you should be running the stg1+AEM tune, not just stg1 right now. May be why your target boost was off.

If you really want to keep the catless dp, then my advice would be to sell the ap and take the money from that and buy a pro-tune.

Cobb's Map Notes for stg2+AEM:

Stage2+AEM 93 MTv300 - Intended for an otherwise stock 2009-2011 Subaru WRX MT vehicle running a turboback
    exhaust with a high-flow catalytic converter and AEM Cold Air intake system. 93 or 94 octane fuels. Boost
    Targets: ~18.2psi peak boost pressure tapering down to ~13.5psi by the 7000 RPM redline, +/- 1psi.

Stage2+AEM 91 MTv300 - Intended for an otherwise stock 2009-2011 Subaru WRX MT vehicle running a turboback
    exhaust with a high-flow catalytic converter and AEM Cold Air intake system. 91 or 92 octane fuels. Boost
    Targets: ~17.0psi peak boost pressure tapering down to ~13.0psi by the 7000 RPM redline, +/- 1psi.
    Last edited by xFalleNx; 12-07-2011 at 08:57 AM.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    If that is your hope then don't even consider a turbo swap. Until you are willing to do all the proper supporting mods then don't even consider it. FMIC has absolutely no reason to go onto your car now or in the near future based on your mods and plans
    Good to hear about the FMIC. What would you consider "proper" supporting mods for a conservative turbo upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Just because I don't think anyone else picked up on this, the Cobb stg2 map calls for a catted downpipe. That map won't work well with the catless invidia you mentioned. Also, (may just be a typo on your part) you should be running the stg1+AEM tune, not just stg1 right now. May be why your target boost was off.

If you really want to keep the catless dp, then my advice would be to sell the ap and take the money from that and buy a pro-tune.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear - the AEM intake is on its way in the mail along with the DP, i.e. not on the car yet.

Hmm, guessing I should return the DP. Really would like to keep the AP.

Thanks - Ben

Quote Originally Posted by bbrock171 View Post
    Hmm, guessing I should return the DP. Really would like to keep the AP.
    Oh, sorry for the confusion. In the end it's all up to you. May I ask why you decided to go with a cat-less dp?

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Oh, sorry for the confusion. In the end it's all up to you. May I ask why you decided to go with a cat-less dp?
    Sounded like a good idea at the time. I asked around a bit and was told that a map made for a high flow cat would work fine with no cat and that worst case scenario I'd have to use my AP to clear a check engine light for O2.

The part about the ap clearing the code is true, but the map won't work "fine" with the catless dp.

IMO you have two options:

a) keep the AP and return the DP and get a catted one, then run Cobb's STG2+AEM map
    b) sell the ap, take profits from that and get a protune for the catted dp and enjoy

You seem to be in the same boat as me and want to keep your AP for ease of use. I went with a catted DP and Cobb's stg2 tune and eventually plan on getting it protuned with the AP.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

The part about the ap clearing the code is true, but the map won't work "fine" with the catless dp.

IMO you have two options:

a) keep the AP and return the DP and get a catted one, then run Cobb's STG2+AEM map
    b) sell the ap, take profits from that and get a protune for the catted dp and enjoy

You seem to be in the same boat as me and want to keep your AP for ease of use. I went with a catted DP and Cobb's stg2 tune and eventually plan on getting it protuned with the AP.
    Thanks for the advice. Yes, I definitely like the ease of use and data-logging and map-switching and everything I can do with the AP, especially since I go on a lot of road trips and would like to test out the economy map. I will probably end up getting a protune with the AP. Thanks again - Ben

Np man. Good luck with everything!

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I running catless and noticed a few things.

It will run rich. The tips are ALWAYS black. And I don't mean black from road grime. It takes serious cleaning to clean off. You will also notice the exhaust smell. Which may bother you. I dot mind too much. But I am going to take my invidia catless into the exhaust shop in town and have him drop a small core cat on it eventually.

Also it was the reason I had to run the HWG Cobb tune. I eventually went to the TP OTS tune. Eric was able to get some 3rd gear pulls and take care of the boost issue. I am hitting roughly 18.9-19.2 PSI now. The tune is fairly more noticeably aggressive than the Cobb one was.

Just a few words on the catless DP.

If you want better flow, stay away from the FMIC as others said. Go get a bigger TMIC. You will pick up some HP and not have to retune from the stage 2 tune. Maybe take a couple data logs to ensure though.

Enjoy the new whip!!

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.385687,-79.194903
    2011 OBP WRX::Invidia Catless DP::Cobb CAI::TP 93 STG2::KB STS::Perrin Sways::

Where are you getting the info that you don't need to get a tune with a TMIC? I've never heard anything like that at all.

Edit to add a little info:

Most I've read is that you can run it without a tune, but there's a good risk of it not running good at all or throwing a CEL. I just personally don't see the point of spending your hard earned money on a mod and not get the most out of it i.e. catless dp with OTS map, TMIC without tune. I just don't really get it. You spend all your money on it, why not get the most out of it.

Here's some other info I found:
    "The car will just run more consistently and safer. TMICs in and of themselves do not provide an HP increase, they don't provide any additional airflow. They let car run more consistently since heat is dispersed throughout the larger area which keeps air cooler, longer. some tuners like to push a bit more boost because of this but that's up to you.
    Dyno measurements that show hp increases with ICs usually show the increase simply because of the cooler air from a cool IC that enters the combustion chamber. As temps increase, you will notice that the largest benefit is more consistent power even on longer runs."
    Last edited by xFalleNx; 12-07-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by SRTSamb View Post
    I running catless and noticed a few things.

It will run rich. The tips are ALWAYS black. And I don't mean black from road grime. It takes serious cleaning to clean off. You will also notice the exhaust smell. Which may bother you. I dot mind too much. But I am going to take my invidia catless into the exhaust shop in town and have him drop a small core cat on it eventually.

Also it was the reason I had to run the HWG Cobb tune. I eventually went to the TP OTS tune. Eric was able to get some 3rd gear pulls and take care of the boost issue. I am hitting roughly 18.9-19.2 PSI now. The tune is fairly more noticeably aggressive than the Cobb one was.

Just a few words on the catless DP.

If you want better flow, stay away from the FMIC as others said. Go get a bigger TMIC. You will pick up some HP and not have to retune from the stage 2 tune. Maybe take a couple data logs to ensure though.

Enjoy the new whip!!

---
    I am here: Google Maps
    All good things to know. Thanks. Will it still run rich even with the AEM intake? I was under the impression that tends to make it run leaner. Also, where would be a good place to start looking for OTS AP maps?

Where are you getting the info that you don't need to get a tune with a TMIC? I've never heard anything like that at all.
    I mean outside of the stage 2 tune. the tuners I spoke with said maybe doing 3rd gear pulls and data logging to ensure, but a stage 2 OTS tune should suffice for a a TMIC

Again, just info I have been given. Is that not true because that would e good to know before buying one!

Quote Originally Posted by bbrock171 View Post
    All good things to know. Thanks. Will it still run rich even with the AEM intake? I was under the impression that tends to make it run leaner. Also, where would be a good place to start looking for OTS AP maps?
    The tune will account for the AEM

I used Torqued Performance, but a lot of guys also love the Cobb maps

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SRTSamb
    I mean outside of the stage 2 tune. the tuners I spoke with said maybe doing 3rd gear pulls and data logging to ensure, but a stage 2 OTS tune should suffice for a a TMIC

Again, just info I have been given. Is that not true because that would e good to know before buying one!
    The amount of money a worthwhile TMIC costs would make it a waste to run on a base map. You should be able to pick up 15-20hp with proper tuning, as well as a broader powerband.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The amount of money a worthwhile TMIC costs would make it a waste to run on a base map. You should be able to pick up 15-20hp with proper tuning, as well as a broader powerband.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    +1 See link in my sig for graph. After adding the PW TMIC and GS EBCS, I gained more than 30whp over Cobb's Stage 2....and got rid of some knock.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.