Complete newb!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

This is a discussion on Complete newb! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone! I bought an 02 WRX this past saturday and currently I have gotten a new timing belt change ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    8

    Complete newb!

    Hi everyone!
    I bought an 02 WRX this past saturday and currently I have gotten a new timing belt change as well as water pump, all the other belts changed, oil change, new spark plugs, and thermostat. I'm really excited about this car and I upgraded from a 95 civic hatch to this amazing car! And I'm completely new to subarus and the turbo and everything! So I'm going to need a lot of help!

    As for now I want to keep it mostly stock bc I am a full time student. However I read that the cat in the uppipe can break and damage the turbo. I would def want to invest in a new uppipe but I live in ca and the smog laws are very difficult. So my question is, will gutting out the cat in the uppipe ruin my chances of passing smog legally or will I have to buy another cat and put it somewhere else? Right now this is My main concern as this is going to be my daily and I spent more money than I ever had to buy this car. So I need advice from my Cali people! And I want to keep it smog legit.. At least for now lol

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User Monk_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    550
    It's definitely a reason they could use to fail you... whether or not they would catch it would be the bigger question. I'd say pass smog then replace it and save your stock one to put back on when you have to pass smog again.

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    It's definitely a reason they could use to fail you... whether or not they would catch it would be the bigger question. I'd say pass smog then replace it and save your stock one to put back on when you have to pass smog again.
    Ya I could do that but I heard it was a pain in the butt haha.. Do u have a stock one on urs? And if not do u pass smog without having to change it?

  5. #4
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,627
    I Support ClubWRX
    Gut the stock cat. Take the up pipe off, then take a screw driver, then dremel to the inside, breaking apart all of the catalyst element. then dremel it smooth, then reinstall it. Cheaper than an uppipe, will pass the visual smog inspections, and you'll get a bit of a power gain.
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

  6. #5
    Administrator TheJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bro do you even live in the Dirty South
    Posts
    17,888
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Gut the stock cat. Take the up pipe off, then take a screw driver, then dremel to the inside, breaking apart all of the catalyst element. then dremel it smooth, then reinstall it. Cheaper than an uppipe, will pass the visual smog inspections, and you'll get a bit of a power gain.
    Yep.

    Welcome to Club!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:


    "It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

  7. #6
    Registered User Monk_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by lendo_21 View Post
    Ya I could do that but I heard it was a pain in the butt haha.. Do u have a stock one on urs? And if not do u pass smog without having to change it?
    I'm only in Tahoe for school, my car is registered in Colorado and they don't test emissions back home. So it's a non-issue for me.

  8. #7
    Registered User jd92677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,136
    Legally you would not pass, but even with that converter non-functional, you should still run clean enough to pass a smog test.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    I'm only in Tahoe for school, my car is registered in Colorado and they don't test emissions back home. So it's a non-issue for me.
    haha lucky!

    Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Legally you would not pass, but even with that converter non-functional, you should still run clean enough to pass a smog test.
    Ok cool, so if I gut it I can pass the visual and the emission part of it..

    Another question, If I gut out the cat on the up pipe will the sensor give me a CEL? and If it does how can i avoid that or delete the code or whatever so I don't get into probs with the smog?

  10. #9
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,709
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lendo_21
    Another question, If I gut out the cat on the up pipe will the sensor give me a CEL? and If it does how can i avoid that or delete the code or whatever so I don't get into probs with the smog?
    It will trip a CEL, but that's disabled by replacing the EGT sensor with a resistor.

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  11. #10
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,627
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    It will trip a CEL, but that's disabled by replacing the EGT sensor with a resistor.

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Yup... a 2.2k ohm resistor if I remember correctly. Like 80 cents at radioshack.
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

  12. #11
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,709
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister
    Yup... a 2.2k ohm resistor if I remember correctly. Like 80 cents at radioshack.
    1/2W, I believe

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Last edited by EJ257; 12-06-2011 at 10:24 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  13. #12
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,627
    I Support ClubWRX
    2.2k Ohm. I win

    2.2K Ohm Resistor Mod

    edit... googled 2.2k ohm resistors, and found that they were all 1/2 watt. Alright. We both win.

    (but 1/2 watt doesn't = 2.2k ohm. OP... make sure you get a 2.2k ohm, 1/2 watt resistor)
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

  14. #13
    Registered User jd92677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,136
    But if you're gutting the cat, you can leave the EGT in, can't you? Therefore it wouldn't throw a CEL
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

  15. #14
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,627
    I Support ClubWRX
    You're correct. My apologies. But the EGT sensor is only there for the cat... so might as well remove it, plug the hole with a bung plug, and not have anything in the pathway of the exhaust.
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

  16. #15
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,709
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister
    2.2k Ohm. I win

    2.2K Ohm Resistor Mod

    edit... googled 2.2k ohm resistors, and found that they were all 1/2 watt. Alright. We both win.

    (but 1/2 watt doesn't = 2.2k ohm. OP... make sure you get a 2.2k ohm, 1/2 watt resistor)
    Someone PMed me a while back asking whether to get W or W versions, which is the only reason I specified. Maybe they only make W ones...

    Quote Originally Posted by jd92677
    But if you're gutting the cat, you can leave the EGT in, can't you? Therefore it wouldn't throw a CEL
    It may still throw the CEL, not sure.

    Either way, remove the sensor.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •