Bugeyes, talk to me

This is a discussion on Bugeyes, talk to me within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just bought myself an 02 wrx. The engine is still stock the only aftermarket parts are a 3in. exhaust with ...

Bugeyes, talk to me

Just bought myself an 02 wrx. The engine is still stock the only aftermarket parts are a 3in. exhaust with a magnaflow muffler and it has some konig rims that i'll be replacing when i can get the money.

I heard that the bugeyes had some transmission problems, i never got my hands on the TSB/recall and i was wondering what exactly about the trannys were bad? I work in a shop so you can talk "tech" with me ei; synchros, input shaft, throw-out bearing, etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't know a ton about it, but I know that the 02's had the weakest tranny. I think 2nd gear is the most common to break. From everything I've ever heard though as long as you aren't putting out massive power levels or driving like a moron you should be just fine.

The tranny overall in your model and later WRXs up to 2008 aren't the strongest thing Subaru has ever made. In general, failures due to high TQ are going to be in the gears themselves, but other failures in syncros and other things are well-known.

Does the car have a tune for the exhaust? I assume when you say it's a 3 inch exhaust that means it's a full TBE. You don't need a tune for a DP in your model year, but you also won't really get much power out of the exhaust without one, just increased sound.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Allright so i shouldn't be too worried about my tranny going kaput on me, cool. Idk if the car has ever had a tune it still has the 30 day tags on it. I've been wanting a subie for a long time now and i finally found one that suited what i was looking for. Something basically stock that is. And the exhaust is just a cat back.

My plans are still building in my head so far i've thought about upgrading the turbo, FMI, headers, TBE, fully adjustable suspension, etc etc. this thing wont be street legal by the time that i die trust me. Oh and a full 6 speed drivetrain swap. Too many ideas to list.

Another question though, what are some of the smaller upgrades that might require a tune? See idk if something a small as a bov or a cold air intake would mess with the oem tune. Im still not so sure as to how finicky turbo cars can be.

I Support ClubWRX
    With a catback exhaust, no tune is needed, so you're fine for now.

Please refer to these sections for all starting modifications:

Do's and Don't of First Modfications

Unibomber's Manifesto

Cliffnotes:
    *Skip the headers, buy a catless uppipe pronto.
    *Yes, a BOV and CAI will mess with OEM tune. A protune can fix issues with a CAI (but it won't add much power on a bugeye). No protune can fix issues with a BOV, just don't buy one.
    *The silencer delete mod is free and will give you much the same turbo induction sound as a CAI, and won't cause map issues.
    *Best start? After the uppipe, get a downpipe and either an Accessport or Tactrix cable and upload a Stage II map.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Thanks for the links. They answered my questions to the T.

If i have any more i'll be sure to post them.

I Support ClubWRX
    No problem, and welcome to the Club!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Yea man its been a long time coming. those things they call jobs really helped me out.