can hear turbo venting?? :confused:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on can hear turbo venting?? :confused: within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just like it says, if i'm driving and shift at like 3-3.5k (i usually shift at 2k) or let some ...

Unhappy can hear turbo venting?? :confused:

Just like it says, if i'm driving and shift at like 3-3.5k (i usually shift at 2k) or let some boost build up, as soon as i go off throttle and on the clutch i hear a "PPFfffffffffwhoosshh" kinda sound, kinda sounds like a cheap BOV but it's all stock, so i thought "hmm it recirculates not vents, do i have some sort of air leak some were?" . and frankly i have no idea how to find it and, atm kinda short on money to take it to a mechanic, and tips or suggestions, is this bad or will it be fine if i leave it? its an o8 wrx sedan thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    It could very well be the normal sound. Yes the stock valve recirculates back into the intake but you can still hear that. It very well could be a leak though. Check the BPV and its recirc hose to see if there are any noticeable leaks
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

all right thanks, and i've been driving it for bout a month now and it's just the first time i've heard it, so i was worried, but yeah, thanks

Do you have the stock heatshield on still? I don't have one since I have an aftermarket downpipe and I get a similar sound when I shift at high rpms

thats weird, I have the same thing. I have an '02 and its all stock except for the cold air intake. I was told that it was just the BOV releasing the pressure. I assumed thats what it was because Im pretty new so I obviously dont know a whole lot about them.

Quote Originally Posted by eacooperusmc View Post
    thats weird, I have the same thing. I have an '02 and its all stock except for the cold air intake. I was told that it was just the BOV releasing the pressure. I assumed thats what it was because Im pretty new so I obviously dont know a whole lot about them.
    With an intake there is a good chance it is really just you hearing the BPV releasing pressure, intake will make that sound much more pronounced
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    Do you have the stock heatshield on still? I don't have one since I have an aftermarket downpipe and I get a similar sound when I shift at high rpms
    yeah, everythings stock

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    With an intake there is a good chance it is really just you hearing the BPV releasing pressure, intake will make that sound much more pronounced
    Ok, thanks. Reading this had me thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by nitefrost View Post
    Just like it says, if i'm driving and shift at like 3-3.5k (i usually shift at 2k)
    My question is why are you shifting at 2k? I dont know about WRXs but in my STi its darn near impossible for me to shift it at that low RPM without getting some lugging. Granted I am new to manual transmissions and there may be something I'm missing at shifting that low.
    Alex
    2005 STi
    1968 AMC AMX
    1964 Chevrolet Corvair
    Blobeye Syndicate #479

My car doesn't like it much either (03 WRX). I'll usually shift at or a bit above 3k if I'm driving chill around town.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkySTI88 View Post
    My question is why are you shifting at 2k? I dont know about WRXs but in my STi its darn near impossible for me to shift it at that low RPM without getting some lugging. Granted I am new to manual transmissions and there may be something I'm missing at shifting that low.
    Bahaha you think it's bad on your STi? Try driving a Bugeye... the 2.0L puts down almost zero torque until the turbo spools at ~3500 RPM (stock).
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by ArkySTI88 View Post
    it's just the way i was taught, and it's my first stick as well, i consider it my first REAL car, but anyways i double clutch in, like i hit neutral first, rev a bit, then shift, and i do so at 2k to try and save gas

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Bahaha you think it's bad on your STi? Try driving a Bugeye... the 2.0L puts down almost zero torque until the turbo spools at ~3500 RPM (stock).
    Haha I can only imagine!
    Alex
    2005 STi
    1968 AMC AMX
    1964 Chevrolet Corvair
    Blobeye Syndicate #479

Quote Originally Posted by nitefrost View Post
    but anyways i double clutch in, like i hit neutral first, rev a bit, then shift, and i do so at 2k to try and save gas
    Thats completely unnecessary, you have synchros for a reason.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

The only time I rev match is when I am downshifting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast