2012 WRX is back with 1,200 miles (Help)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX is back with 1,200 miles (Help) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everybody, I just passed the break in point and started think a lot about modifying a tiny bit. Please ...

2012 WRX is back with 1,200 miles (Help)

Hello everybody, I just passed the break in point and started think a lot about modifying a tiny bit. Please help me with silly questions I have.

1st: COBB shift knob: if anybody used/uses it please share comments pros/cons
    2nd: COBB Tuning SF Intake: Is it really worth $300? I heard it gives nice sound, but is it safe without tuning (is AP necessary?) Does it increase power even a TINY bit?
    3rd: COBB Adjustable short throw shifter VS Kartboy shifter? If anyone used any of these please help me out with which one to go with. Is stock shifter bushings ok to swap?
    4th: COBB Exhaust VS SPT Exhaust? is COBB exhaust gonna void the warranty?

I know I have bunch of silly questions, but please try to help me as much as possible. If ya'll think I'm trying to do unnecessary mods feel free to correct and offer other things I don't know! THANKS EVERYBODY

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zopal View Post
    Hello everybody, I just passed the break in point and started think a lot about modifying a tiny bit. Please help me with silly questions I have.

2nd: COBB Tuning SF Intake: Is it really worth $300? I heard it gives nice sound, but is it safe without tuning (is AP necessary?) Does it increase power even a TINY bit?
    3rd: COBB Adjustable short throw shifter VS Kartboy shifter? If anyone used any of these please help me out with which one to go with. Is stock shifter bushings ok to swap?

I know I have bunch of silly questions, but please try to help me as much as possible. If ya'll think I'm trying to do unnecessary mods feel free to correct and offer other things I don't know! THANKS EVERYBODY
    1st: can't speak for the shift knob but not sure why that would be your first mod. Short Shifter would make more sense.

2nd: You will need a tune. Read up on Cobb AccessPort. I think that should be your first mod. Intake is probably not worth it as a first wave of mods IMO. Your stock airbox can handle significant power. Some people have gone with Stage 1 and the SF intake and have seen nice gains though. Might want to look around for people who just have a tune and the SF intake.

3rd: It's buyers choice as they are both good products. I would definitely recommend upgrading all of the shift bushings, rear stay, front stay, etc. Takes away a lot of the slop that the mushy OEM bushings have. Bushings and SS would be my very first mod if I was in your boat.

4th: Are you talking just a catback or a full turbo back which would be your DP, midpipe and CBE? Cat back will give you no gain in power but will sound nice. COBB vs. SPT quality wise is up for debate. If I was going to spend that kind of cash I'd probably go with COBB. Look at Invidia Q300 also as that's a nice quality exhaust. About the warranty: if a part you put on the car causes a failure, and they can point to it and say that it is the cause, they will not cover your repair under warranty. That being said, a cat back exhaust is very unlikely to cause a failure. If you do the complete turboback exhaust, without a proper tune, you are much more likely to see a failure.

Cliffs Notes: I think you should figure out what your goal is with the car. If you want to do performance and are new to Subaru's and/or performance mods, start reading about the COBB AP. That is a great first mod. Then look at both the SF intake and the cat back. I would not do a down pipe until you are out of warranty but that's just me. SS and bushings are also great early mods. Also keep in mind, while COBB does have quality parts, you will pay a premium for them because of COBB's reputation. There are other manufacturers (Invidia being one that I mentioned) making great parts as well for a lot less if you're into a budget.
    Last edited by Ying; 11-30-2011 at 08:25 AM.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zopal View Post

1. No.
    2. No.
    3. Yes. I have one it's nice. See if you can find a MODE racing short throw, it's the same thing but 40 bucks cheaper. The bushings are one of the best bang for your buck mods out there IMO. There are cheaper alternatives to the COBB ones though.
    4. No, they sound about the same and don't do squat anyway.

In short, COBB stuff is nice but on the steep side of pricing. There are other companies out there that offer similiar quality parts that perform just as well. Shop used, it saves money.

1. Love my Cobb Shift knob. Looks greats feels even better.
    2. I have the Cobb SF intake. Makes the best noises too. I read a lot that you need an AP but I got mine for a good price. (300) so I would go on the safe side. Also the AP is a big upgrade on its own. Big power increase.
    3. An adjustable shifter seems kind of sketchy. I am thinking about getting the kartboy one. The there are 2 types of pivot bushings, wide and narrow, If you have a factory short throw uses wide and the stock shifter uses narrow. Idk what the Kartboy one uses. Ill have to look it up. Front and rear stay bushings are a very good upgrade.
    4.They can't VOID your warranty. They can only deny claims and that's if the after market part you installed was the direct cause of the failure. ex You put a huge turbo on it and blow the engine. (not covered) But you have an intake and you window stops working (covered) there is a law about that. If i ever had a problem that might be caused buy my intake or anything else I would just take it all out and reinstall the stock stuff and act like I had no idea what happened. I'm looking between the SPT and invidia q300. I have a 20% off coupon for an accessory so it would make it 800 and then that would also be covered by my factory warranty because it's a factory subaru part. I heard that the Cobb exhaust is really loud. If your going for that just a Crawford gymkhana exhaust. LOL

Thanks everybody for the help, So I'll do Kartboy short shifter with bushings and get the Cobb Intake with AP together. (Whenever I can afford the AP). Does it come with the Stage 1 map or I have to install it? I heard Stage 1 map will fit with COBB Intake. Exhaust is after I do all these, thinking of just a Catback. Now will debate between Cobb, SPT, and Q300. THANKS AGAIN

The AP will come preloaded with several maps, including Stage 1 and Stage 2.

The AP doesn't come preloaded with a map for the intake. You need to download that. The map that comes preloaded is meant for a car with a stock intake.

I'd go with the AEM intake myself. It's a true cold air intake and doesn't use an oiled filter so no MAF issues.

If you just want an exhaust for the sound, why spend all the money on one of those? Get a Nameless instead and save yourself a lot of dough.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.