You bought a wagon???
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on You bought a wagon??? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys, Been reading this forum for a while now and wanted to share some pictures of the 2006 WRX ...

You bought a wagon???

Hi guys,

Been reading this forum for a while now and wanted to share some pictures of the 2006 WRX I just picked up. It has 103k miles on it and in great shape. Had the timing belt replaced at 94k miles, along with the belts, pullies, water pump and some other maintenance items.

I've had the car for less than a week and am pretty happy with the purchase. I had an RSX Type S before (now for sale) and this is quite a change. I really missed mid-range torque.

The previous owner installed a few very light mods:
    SPT Intake
    Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines
    Stoptech Slotted Rotors
    Hawk HPS Pads
    ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid

As of right now, the plans for the car are to throw on a set of snow tires (with either steelies or a used set of 16"s if I can find them), get a headunit and enjoy it.

I want to improve the shifter, steering feel and sound and need to do some research to figure out exactly which parts will work the best for me.

Here are some cell phone pics, I'll try to get some more with an actual camera sometime soon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Very nice, and a nice set of mods. If you get 16's for winters make sure they clear your brakes as that can be somewhat tough to find
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Welcome - that looks like a great wagon!

I'd say mod-wise, you seem to be pretty level-headed in terms of what you want. For shifter improvement, go to turninconcepts and check out their selection of shifter bushings and such. There are two front bushings, one rear, and one set in the linkage itself to replace, and if you want you can also get a short-shift lever. For steering feel, there's one bushing you can replace, then you're into more intense mods like steering rack replacement. EDIT: nearly forgot steering mods from the suspension side of things. HIGHLY recommended: get fender braces. From there, consider strut bars, and if you want to go so far, bigger swaybars (that last one should be done with caution - not too big on stock springs. It'll mostly help keep you flat, not so much turn-in and such.

Other mods I can suggest: if your brakes still feel a bit mushy, for about $100, you can get a master cylinder brace which will give you that last bit of support (gives great brake feel even for driving around town). It's good to see that all the other good brake mods are taken care of for you.

There are also some other bushings related to your drivetrain and suspension that you can replace - cheap bits of rubber that give you amazing results as long as you don't mind a NVH increase. Again, shop around TiC.

And, although it seems like you aren't thinking power right now, I can strongly suggest getting either a protune or a stage 1 map for your car. This will just help out normal things like drivability (fixes your DBW map, changes how your car goes into open loop fueling, and will give you a much beefier torque band - plus some extra power for your effort). Yeah, there's also stage 2 and such beyond that, but without that complication, a tune will help very much.

Anyway, for now, just focus on the tires/wheels and whatever is important to you. Those are just a few suggestions based on where you seem to be heading.

EDIT: And always, check out Unabomber's Manifesto for some more information about these and other great mods.
    Last edited by poly_poly-man; 11-24-2011 at 12:17 PM.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I Support ClubWRX
    Great find! I have the exact same set of brake modifications, and it was a big improvement. Looks like you found a real gem.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    Very nice, and a nice set of mods. If you get 16's for winters make sure they clear your brakes as that can be somewhat tough to find
    That's what I'm finding. Unless I can find a set of used RS wheels (or some other 16 that fits), I'm probably gonna pick up a set of steelies from Tire Rack. It's tough to argue with $56 per wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    Welcome - that looks like a great wagon!

I'd say mod-wise, you seem to be pretty level-headed in terms of what you want. For shifter improvement, go to turninconcepts and check out their selection of shifter bushings and such. There are two front bushings, one rear, and one set in the linkage itself to replace, and if you want you can also get a short-shift lever. For steering feel, there's one bushing you can replace, then you're into more intense mods like steering rack replacement. EDIT: nearly forgot steering mods from the suspension side of things. HIGHLY recommended: get fender braces. From there, consider strut bars, and if you want to go so far, bigger swaybars (that last one should be done with caution - not too big on stock springs. It'll mostly help keep you flat, not so much turn-in and such.

Other mods I can suggest: if your brakes still feel a bit mushy, for about $100, you can get a master cylinder brace which will give you that last bit of support (gives great brake feel even for driving around town). It's good to see that all the other good brake mods are taken care of for you.

There are also some other bushings related to your drivetrain and suspension that you can replace - cheap bits of rubber that give you amazing results as long as you don't mind a NVH increase. Again, shop around TiC.

And, although it seems like you aren't thinking power right now, I can strongly suggest getting either a protune or a stage 1 map for your car. This will just help out normal things like drivability (fixes your DBW map, changes how your car goes into open loop fueling, and will give you a much beefier torque band - plus some extra power for your effort). Yeah, there's also stage 2 and such beyond that, but without that complication, a tune will help very much.

Anyway, for now, just focus on the tires/wheels and whatever is important to you. Those are just a few suggestions based on where you seem to be heading.

EDIT: And always, check out Unabomber's Manifesto for some more information about these and other great mods.
    Thanks for the recommendations.

As tempted as I am to just start throwing money at parts, a wise friend of mine once told me to drive a car for a while and evaluate what really needs improvement before spending your hard earned money.

The stereo is a must. I drive 25k miles a year and have an hour long commute each way to work and back. Being able to use my ipod and have clear, crisp sound will pay off when im stuck in traffic and on the many trips out of state I take.

It's not the fastest car in the world, but I think power-wise the stock WRX is pretty good. Having torque again is a welcome change and it has plenty of passing power on the highway. A tune is in the plans for down the line, but there are other things to address before that.

I'll admit that I don't know too much on fender braces. Checked out a few reviews online and they seem like a great upgrade. Definitely worth some more research.

I'll be sure to check out the Unabomber's Manifesto.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Great find! I have the exact same set of brake modifications, and it was a big improvement. Looks like you found a real gem.
    Thanks! The brakes are great on this car. Pedal feel is great, the pads grab really well and there's no fade that I can feel.

Car overall is in great shape and I'm quite happy. The only thing that I'm not thrilled with is fuel consumption, i'm getting somewhere in the low 20s right now. I'm going to try and stay out of the boost while cruising on the highway and then just have to learn to deal with it I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt_Underpants View Post
    As tempted as I am to just start throwing money at parts, a wise friend of mine once told me to drive a car for a while and evaluate what really needs improvement before spending your hard earned money.
    ^^ This right here is probably about the wisest thing a new owner has ever said on here :P

Definitely drive it for a while. You'll feel what you need to fix (and the harder you drive it, the harder you'll need to mod it to keep up).
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I Support ClubWRX
    Your car looks great! Just wondering about the title of this thread. Did someone say that to you or are you surprised you purchased one?
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

When I went out in search of my wrx.. this is what I was looking for.. ended up with a 2010 hatch. I still think they should have stuck witht the hawk eye front end and updated the driveline like the 09+

Either way, wicked ride man.. looks great. Enjoy!

fyi, Check out Turninconcepts for the turning/shifting goodies. Give em a call if you have questions, they'll not steer you wrong. I'm not affiliated, just a happy customer.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

that is a one nice and clean looking car!
    2011 WRX WRB HB, 2011 FORESTER SSM AWP Premium.

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.
    Kurt Cobain

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    ^^ This right here is probably about the wisest thing a new owner has ever said on here :P

Definitely drive it for a while. You'll feel what you need to fix (and the harder you drive it, the harder you'll need to mod it to keep up).
    Much appreciated, thanks. I'm just excited to finally have a car I'm excited about again. This car is a blast. I don't think I've been this excited for snow since I was in grade school.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Your car looks great! Just wondering about the title of this thread. Did someone say that to you or are you surprised you purchased one?
    Thanks! It was the reaction from one of my friends and frankly I was bit surprised myself. I've always liked wagons but never saw myself buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    When I went out in search of my wrx.. this is what I was looking for.. ended up with a 2010 hatch. I still think they should have stuck witht the hawk eye front end and updated the driveline like the 09+

Either way, wicked ride man.. looks great. Enjoy!

fyi, Check out Turninconcepts for the turning/shifting goodies. Give em a call if you have questions, they'll not steer you wrong. I'm not affiliated, just a happy customer.
    I've gotten a lot of recommendations for Turninconcepts, it seems like those guys are really well liked/respected. Spent a good amount of time over the past few days going over their site and I need to contact them soon. I want to get some recommendations from them once I've done some more reading.

Quote Originally Posted by jamir22 View Post
    that is a one nice and clean looking car!
    Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.