Limits of WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Limits of WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all. I am currently in the process of researching cars, and have narrowed it down to two leading contenders. ...

Limits of WRX

Hello all. I am currently in the process of researching cars, and have narrowed it down to two leading contenders. The WRX and the Outback. Obviously these are two different cars, and obviously they're each built for different things. My question is where do the limits of the WRX lie? The Outback is the more rugged vehicle of the two, and the off-roader, but I want to know at what point would a WRX say conditions are too bad for it to do it's thing. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome Joe

If you have the stock tires on it, any snow is treacherous. Below 40 degrees, things could get slippery if you're driving aggressively. If you have snow tires, ground clearance is your only obsticle. If you're talking off-road abilities, the WRX is not made for that but in some dirt or sand, as long as you have clearance, it handles fairly well.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    They differ in ride height, spring rates, and damping. The Outback will do better on uneven surfaces in winter out of the box, since the WRX comes with summer tyres fitted.

If you are interested in speed on warm paved surfaces, higher fuel consumption, and higher insurance rates, the WRX is your best bet.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Depends what you want to put them through. What are your reasons for wanting the Outback? And reasons for wanting the WRX? Do you want more utility or more sportiness? The WRX will handle poor conditions very well on the roads, but its not as good as a standard Outback for crossing rough terrains...I'd say the biggest limit of the WRX compared to the Outback is the ground clearance. Its lower...so it won't handled as deep of snow or offroad conditions as well...

You are familiar with the Outback 2.5XT right? Turbo'd Outback...best of both worlds
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The limit is in your pocket. How much money you you have will ultimately be your limit no matter what vehicle.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

well I have had both, you can toe a boat or small trailer with the Outback plus more room for stuff. Look at getting a 2.5 turbo Outback. I like the sporty drive of the WRX but I some times wish I had the Outback back for trips it is more of a multi purpose car. Good luck D
    STAGE 1 IS MORE FUN BUT STAGE 2 THERE'S MORE TO DO

Or find a WRX Wagon.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

So what I gather is simply that the WRX, with adequate tires, can handle a good bit of snow and some unpaved roads, as long as they're loosely considered to be roads.

What attracted me to each is the awesomeness that is the Outback's outdoorsman compatibility with it's ground clearance, cargo space, and accessories, and the WRX's sheer awesomeness with regards to good scores on the car enthusiasts' checklist. I find myself to be both a performance enthusiast AND an outdoor sports kinda guy, so each car appealed to a different element of my mind, and it seems that now I'll have to pick which I favor more if I want to buy new.

Thank you all for your help,
    Joe

Joe, I'm in the same boat. I love to be outdoors fishing and whatnot, and have a jeep right now. I need something to travel back and forth to school that's easier on gas than my jeep, which is why I'm looking at a WRX, and if the back seats fold down, I can fit a fishing rod better in the WRX than I can my jeep. I also love performance cars, so like you, the choice is tough for me. Good luck in your decision!!

I Support ClubWRX
    There is a lot of people adapting the WRX to the suspension of an outback or forester.. Just so you know.. Obviously it isnt going to have amazing handling capabilities anymore but itll go like hell on a dirt road..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Have you driven both of them yet? If not, that's what you should be doing before posting questions.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Have you driven both of them yet? If not, that's what you should be doing before posting questions.
    I have driven both at a dealership, which is what has me leaning towards the WRX, and that's why I want to know what the limits of the WRX are, because I want to know how much I will be hampering my outdoorsiness for the sake of appealing to the enthusiast in me. It must be noted that I live in South Florida and don't know anybody here with either of those cars, so I can't really drive them in snow or on anything that isn't flat, hence my questions here.

I Support ClubWRX
    That's one hell of a drive to any snow..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    That's one hell of a drive to any snow..
    Indeed, but my job may have me moving westward to the likes of Utah, Washington state or Colorado. If this is the case my FWD Civic may be a wee bit sketchy.

If you're going to be moving to anywhere with high altitudes like CO, and you like performance, then you're definitely going to want something with forced induction.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.