Possibly soon to be new to the WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Possibly soon to be new to the WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys, if I got a WRX, I'd be new to the WRX scene. I own a jeep right now, ...

Possibly soon to be new to the WRX

Hi guys, if I got a WRX, I'd be new to the WRX scene. I own a jeep right now, and am going away to school next fall, and need something more fuel efficient for the traveling. If I went with a WRX, I'd most likely have to sell my jeep (which I DON'T want to do), and I'd want to get the WRX because it's AWD. On that topic, how do they go in the snow? Where I live, we can get a bunch of snow, so that's why I'd need AWD. I've also heard of people putting STI parts on the regular WRX, so, do they just bolt right up? Also, if I got one, I'd probably be getting the 02-03 style. Are there any major problems that I should know about with them? Thanks in advance!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i have a 2011 WRX STi, and my friend just got a brand new jeep wrangler sport 2011, and when we got a few inches of snow 2 or 3 weeks ago, my STi was running circles around his jeep in the snow. personally, if a jeep wrangler had the Subaru AWD system it would be better in snow. only reason jeeps are so well-known for snow is they do have a very decent 4wd system, but also lots and lotssss of clearance height, even on the base models, but a WRX awd system will handle much better then your jeeps does now, but up against massive amounts of snow, the jeep mite be better off.

I mean, we don't get massive amounts of snow like Colorado or something, but six to ten inches is not uncommon. I've got a 93 Wrangler, so it doesn't have all the electronic stuff the 2011's do...it's just a lever through the floor to the transfer case.

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    WRX/STIs are very good in the snow, as long as you get a set of all season or winter tires for them. If it only has summer tires on them, as many do, they are outright dangerous (it has more to do with summer tires in cold weather than anything else). With winter tires the Subies do very well in bad weather, often better than most 4WDs because of weight and height issues.

As far as STI parts bolting up, that is not often the case, but there are tons of aftermarket parts available for the WRX models, so it shouldn't be an issue.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

I Support ClubWRX
    A WRX is not really a "fuel efficient" car. It typically gets mid-20s on premium fuel.

An 02/03 is almost ten years old, so expect typical wear and tear, as well as atypical wear since they aren't often babied. Many of them will be modified (or formerly modified).

A car has less ground clearance than an SUV, but when driven properly and equipped with proper tires, as said, is very capable in inclement weather.

Some STI parts are interchangeable, some aren't.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Is that mid-20s highway or city? There's a guy that lives around here with a WRX and says he gets 31-33 on the highway. I'd be mostly doing highway driving with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRex View Post
    If it only has summer tires on them, as many do, they are outright dangerous (it has more to do with summer tires in cold weather than anything else). With winter tires the Subies do very well in bad weather, often better than most 4WDs because of weight and height issues.
    Big D is right...winter tires are a MUST!!!
    2011 WRX DGM hatch Cobb DP, Inv. Q300 CB, AEM intake, DW 1000cc's, DW 300 lph pump, AP w/ custom E85 tune, STS w/bushing, 3M clear bra, and tint for now...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by fishsniper
    Is that mid-20s highway or city? There's a guy that lives around here with a WRX and says he gets 31-33 on the highway. I'd be mostly doing highway driving with it.
    Overall.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    There is a mileage thread What kind of milage are you actually getting on your 2011 WRX?

I have had the car for a year now.My driving is mainly on parkways.I don't pay much attention to the mpg calculator,but I average 21-22 mpg.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    18-20 mpg here.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

What rpms do you guys typically shift at when you're just cruising along?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by fishsniper
    What rpms do you guys typically shift at when you're just cruising along?
    Until the oil is up to operating temp, 3K. After that, 4K.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Typically, 3k...ish.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Do you have to use the premium 93 gas, or can you get away with the mid grade 89?

Use 93
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast