Wrx problems. Need help
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wrx problems. Need help within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone, My dad just bought a wrx for himself. Its a 2006 and has about 73k on it. He ...

Wrx problems. Need help

Hi everyone,

My dad just bought a wrx for himself. Its a 2006 and has about 73k on it. He was told it has some mods by the previous owner but it doesnt seem like anything crazy (Im not that familar with these cars). I do see a sti intercooler, boost gauge, straight piped. When we start to give it 75% throttle the check engine light flashes? Anyone have this problem before? If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you lose any power when the check engine light comes on? When I got my 05 STi and gave it full throttle the check engine light would come on and I would lose power. Come to find out the peddle stop had come off my throttle. I would check that to see if it is loose or missing.
    Alex
    2005 STi
    1968 AMC AMX
    1964 Chevrolet Corvair
    Blobeye Syndicate #479

When you say straight piped, does that mean the exhaust from the turbo back?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I will double check on power loss but I dont think so.

Just under the car I didnt see a cat or resonator. It still has the stock muffler though.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    if there is no cat, even if it has the stock muffler, it probably has an aftermarket downpipe which HAS to be tuned for.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    if there is no cat, even if it has the stock muffler, it probably has an aftermarket downpipe which HAS to be tuned for.
    ^^^ make sure ASAP! My guess is the CEL is bc of this as well. Which means he needs to contact the previous owner ASAP!
    2011 OBP WRX::Invidia Catless DP::Cobb CAI::TP 93 STG2::KB STS::Perrin Sways::

Well now the check engine light is always on if we are cruising or giving it more throttle.. I checked and we have a bad battery. I think its more to that though.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would still find out about the tune and exhaust.... A bad battery (I don't think) would cause the CEL to come on only when approaching WOT.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    X3
    2005 WRX "Yosh Yosh"
    ** The Blobeye Syndicate ** #442

How do you remove the shift knob on this 06 wrx?

Quote Originally Posted by mbfinatic View Post
    How do you remove the shift knob on this 06 wrx?
    pull down on the boot where it fits to the knob, and hold it. and twist the knob. a lot. It will pop right off.
    2011 OBP WRX::Invidia Catless DP::Cobb CAI::TP 93 STG2::KB STS::Perrin Sways::

I got it. thanks

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    warning... my stock shift was easy to get out. My kartboy short-throw was a bear to get back into the socket. I felt like I was having to force way to hard.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

It could be the tune (if it is tuned ) or I have an idea that it good be the crank position sensor but I'm not sure that's weird .... Good luck

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Uh...flashing CEL means misfire. Park it until you find the underlying issue and correct it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.