Newbie, Considering getting a wrx, or sti - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Newbie, Considering getting a wrx, or sti within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by mbfinatic Is 73k miles not good for a clutch? How long should it last? you have to ...

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mbfinatic View Post
    Is 73k miles not good for a clutch? How long should it last?
    you have to remember the car is not stock & the previous owner probably raced it/launched it/etc.

a stock/lightly modded car with non-abusive driving should last way more than 73k IMO

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ok thank you for the info.

I Support ClubWRX
    Under normal circumstances, the clutches can last twice as long as that, but like Dez said, this car has probably been abused pretty badly.

My car is stock, and wasn't beaten to death when I bought it. The clutch lasted 90k miles. Thankfully, since I had $6k in auto body work done there, the local Subaru dealer offered to replace the clutch for me at parts cost, so the replacement was under $600 (for stock clutch, flywheel, and bearings). I did call up my local Subaru tuning shop and they quoted me about $1300 for Stage 1+ clutch parts and labor. Not a bad deal, but more than I wanted to spend.

Based on what the shop sees when they change the clutch, I'd start saving for a transmission rebuild.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I was talking about doing a sti 6 speed tranny in the future..6 . The shop was telling me it would cost about 4500. Idk if I want to go that route however.. It sounds like I shouldnt keep this car. Its a steal though. I can get it for about 13,5...
    Last edited by mbfinatic; 11-27-2011 at 07:57 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds more like a gigantic piece of ****.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Not worth the price? thanks for the input.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry man, it has 73,0000 miles on it. my 07 had a quarter of that and I let it go for 18,000. Yes that is 4500 more but it had 25k, pristine and ran great with correct mods.. You can find a much better car for the same price or a little more

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    My dad already bought it and I already made the committment to trade my car for it. If its something serious than I can back out.
    My dad purchased the car for himself and we talked about trading cars. I have not bought the car. I was going to trade my car for this car but now from your guys information I will keep my car and continue searching
    . It sounds like I shouldnt keep this car. Its a steal though. I can get it for about 13,5...
    I'm so confused. Does your dad already have it? You're saying you can get it for 13.5 but then in your other post you said you were trading your car for it, not buying it.

desiree

Ok well he bought the car about a week ago. My dad bought it. Than I drove it and I started talking to him about trading. He said If we do the trade he is going to sell my car and that would cover the price of the car. He said he has about 13,5 in it now. I guess now it needs a new clutch and engine coolant..

Somehow I don't think this kid gets it.....

Despite repeated attempts from very knowledgeable people all telling you the car is a piece of junk to stay away from, you keep talking about how great it is and what a good deal it is.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    you can lead the horse to water...

desiree

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    you can lead the horse to water...
    And Chuck Norris can make it drink.

13.5 is a terrible deal. For reference my car is an 06 and has 52,XXX miles on it. When I bought it in July of 08 it was 18k and completely stock and still under warranty for ~10k miles.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I have taken great consideration into what you guys said. My dad is kind of pushing to do the trade.. I think my best bet is to just sell my car (C55 AMG) and wait for a good deal on another wrx. I dont think I will be able to afford a sti...

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I have taken great consideration into what you guys said. My dad is kind of pushing to do the trade.. I think my best bet is to just sell my car (C55 AMG) and wait for a good deal on another wrx. I dont think I will be able to afford a sti...
    "Good" is a relative term. To me, a good deal is a used WRX that is still under warranty and completely stock for a decent price. "Decent" being the relative term.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Well I think you need to push back...

How old are you and how many cars have you owned? You have a C55 AMG right now? I'm guessing that's really your dad's car correct?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast