Newbie, Considering getting a wrx, or sti - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Newbie, Considering getting a wrx, or sti within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yes, walk away from that 07'. I have a 2011 with a few mods that have put power around 330@ ...

Yes, walk away from that 07'. I have a 2011 with a few mods that have put power around 330@ the wheels. I love my WRX but, having said that, I have reached the limits of some the cars major components ie. the 5 speed tranny. If your budget will allow it I'd get the STI! If your not concerned with going crazy fast and if a more harsh ride than you're used to isn't your thing then go with the WRX.
    2011 WRX DGM hatch Cobb DP, Inv. Q300 CB, AEM intake, DW 1000cc's, DW 300 lph pump, AP w/ custom E85 tune, STS w/bushing, 3M clear bra, and tint for now...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I got a chance to get a good deal on this 2006 wrx with 73k. How much would it cost to swap a sti tranny into it? Has anyone done this? How much is a sti engine, tranny, drivetrain?

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mbfinatic View Post
    I got a chance to get a good deal on this 2006 wrx with 73k. How much would it cost to swap a sti tranny into it? Has anyone done this? How much is a sti engine, tranny, drivetrain?
    it costs way more than its worth if your buying right now. You would spend less money just buying an STI. Tranny swap is ~4-6k and you can't just swap the whole motor easily, it takes a ton of extra work. All said and done your looking at well over 10k not factoring in labor and you still wouldn't have the STI interior/exterior bits. If you need the 6 speed, your better off buying an STI to start.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Ok just wondering cause I got a chance to get a killer deal on a 06 wrx..

I Support ClubWRX
    Get the car if you want an 06 WRX. Don't get a car you don't want as is, out of the box, with the intent to modify it, because it's cheaper and more efficient to just buy the car you really want in the first place.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

So I decided that im going to get the 06 wrx. Its in great shape and by the condition of the paint appears to have been garaged kept. It has 73k miles on it and some minor mods. The mods include, STI turbocharger, STI intercooler, Defi boost gauge with defi link control unit II, SPT intake, SPT short throw shifter, Samco intercooler hose, Invidia 3" straight pipe, Invidia downpipe, Invidia test pipe, Roat G force 18" rims, Brembo front calipers, Slotted rotors, Upgraded xenon headlights, Also just got serviced, belts, battery, brake pads, oil.
    Last edited by mbfinatic; 11-25-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Any idea what my whp would be? The boost gauge shoots up to about 23psi.

Any idea what my whp would be? The boost gauge shoots up to about 23psi.
    You better hope thats just a boost gauge not reading correctly. No way should they be boosting a vf turbo on stock motor to 23 pounds
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

It seems to be pretty accurate.. Im taking it to a subaru expert shop on monday to fully check it out. There could be some other mods that I do not know about..

It seems to be pretty accurate
    Based on what? My .02 - a "great deal" WRX running potentially 23 psi on what I'm assuming is a VF39 is something I would have already walked away from
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Well im not the expert thats why im posting here. Whats the highest level of boost to run safely?

Most people only run Vf39's in the 19 range. Its not that its necessarily unsafe it just seems fishy. I truly suspect its a boost gauge misreading. What boost gauge is on the car? What brand? Electric or mechanical? Also, what elevation are you at?
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Make sure the downpipe in that 2006 is a catted pipe (from your description, it sounds like it isn't). The 2006-2007 engines are prone to boost creep with catless downpipes, which might explain the high boost reading. Since the gauges are Defi, I doubt it's inaccurate, unless it was plumbed wrong.

Personally, I would walk at any price based on your description, but the decision is yours.

My advice? It sounds like you want the six speed, so wait a bit and find a nice stock, clean STI. It will be well worth your wait.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

my apologies for missing that its a Defi gauge. If its reading 23 psi it is very likely either boost creep or a crappy tune
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    If its reading 23 psi it is very likely either boost creep or a crappy tune
    Agreed, and either one of those is a VERY good reason to stay away.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast