New to Site, Buying an STI, Have some questions!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to Site, Buying an STI, Have some questions!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Whats up guys, (possible) future 2007 STI owner with a few questions about the used car I may buy. 1. ...

New to Site, Buying an STI, Have some questions!!

Whats up guys, (possible) future 2007 STI owner with a few questions about the used car I may buy.

1. Car is a low mileage car with about 13-14k miles on it, the hood scoop is a little loose. I'm 99% positive by the look of the seats and interior, as well as the exterior that it really only has that much miles on it.

2. Rattle in the rear passenger door.

3. Condensation buildup inside the cabin, don't know if its just because the car wasn't started for a while or what, Its pretty cold and humid where I am (NY). Not a huge amount, but something I noticed. Trunk and doors seemed all to close just fine.

4. Ill post a picture for everyone to see, but it seems as if the previous owner swapped the shifter, its sitting very low in the shift boot, could it be a short throw shifter?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Get a carfax to try and verify the mileage for sure. The hood scoop being loose could be just a loose screw or a bad fitting aftermarket unit or a damaged hood. What do you mean by condensation buildup? Can you be more specific? Yes it could be a short throw, if you unscrew the knob and pull down the boot and take a picture we can probably tell which one. I would ask for any service history, a list of modifications, carfax and most importantly the asking price.

If you post pictures try and get detailed ones. Interior, exterior, engine bay (especially in downpipe area) exhaust, suspension components etc etc
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

2007 Subaru Impreza WRX Sti, $22,995 - Cars.com

looks too good to be true, actually test drove the car today, it seemed to run good. but some things just didn't seem right.

The fact it doesn't seem right to you is a red flag to me. So is this:
    ONLY AFTERMARKET PART IS A HKS BLOW OFF VALVE

Not a safe mod for these cars unless tuned for it, which I assume this car hasn't been.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I've only driven one other STI in my life, and it was 3 years ago. I remember loving the hell out of it, this one did not seem as exciting. I think I am going to pass up this one, the rear door rattle, and condensation I mentioned seems to be a leak in the trunk, seeing as how the cardboard under the carpet happened to be missing...leading me to believe it was water damaged...

The water condensation, to elaborate more on, was buildup on the inside of the rear window of a water haze when all the windows were closed. Didn't seem right, alot of WEIRD things with this car for 13k miles.

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Ya i'd pass.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I just bought a 2012 base for $25K, granted the dealer came down to work with my trade but wouldn't a 12' base be as interesting as a.07' STI to drive? Pardon my ignorance but is an STI that much more care to go 5 years old for the same money?

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I actually have never understood the used STI market. I see 07 STIs up here for 28K with the miles you were looking at. I agree with BluToyz, once you are paying that much for an out-of-warranty-what-did-the-last-guy-do-to-it situation, I would rethink the WRX vs STI thing, or keep saving for a new STI.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

No offense but, that wasn't what I was asking.

I personally dislike greatly the look of the 2012's, which is why I don't consider them, and I doubt a base is anywhere near as exciting as an STI.

Thanks for the responses about the other used car guys, I'm going to keep looking.

I personally was looking for an 07 STi limited before buying my car but my budget was $25k and if I found one that was clean with low miles they wanted around $30k. I also learned STi's are very risky to buy used as they are abused, poorly maintained, and incorrectly modded most of the time by young kids with wealthy parents.

In the end I went with a brand new 2011 wrx base model which fits my needs perfect for a fun daily driver.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX Sti, $26,500 - Cars.com

Going to check this one out today. I also left out the fact that I have access to a full shop, father is a mechanic and I know a thing or two so minor repairs, upgrades can be done. Spoke to the guy he wants at least 25 for it, with only an exhaust put on the car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by drant22
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX Sti, $26,500 - Cars.com

Going to check this one out today. I also left out the fact that I have access to a full shop, father is a mechanic and I know a thing or two so minor repairs, upgrades can be done. Spoke to the guy he wants at least 25 for it, with only an exhaust put on the car.
    They're out of their mind for even asking that. I won't even click the link...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by drant22 View Post
    No offense but, that wasn't what I was asking.

I personally dislike greatly the look of the 2012's, which is why I don't consider them, and I doubt a base is anywhere near as exciting as an STI.

Thanks for the responses about the other used car guys, I'm going to keep looking.
    Your dime and if you don't like the look you wouldn't be happy.

Good Luck with your search

I Support ClubWRX
    I lold at that price.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

It's actually really clean looking and was clearly not a daily driver. $22-23k would be a more reasonable asking price considering it's 7 years old.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast