Need Some Advice
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Need Some Advice within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My son, who he/wife are not in same city as me, has been told he blew his engine and about ...

Need Some Advice

My son, who he/wife are not in same city as me, has been told he blew his engine and about 8-9k to replace. Apparently thermostat went and he had to drive too far before able to get off road and engine overheated--hard lesson

2003 Subaru WRX with 38k miles

His mechanic, that he feels is trustworthy, helped him get it towed back to Cleveland, even though he was 60 miles away

Mechanic said he could fix or help him sell it

He now, in a week, has a buyer for my son's car for 1200

Obviously the buyer will install engine himself, or may be a friend of Mechanic, who will help. I don't know

Is this a fair offer or seems fishy

Car is at Mechanics and he doesn't really want to tow all over city getting quotes

I think it is all about trust and he ultimately needs to make that decision

Any comments appreciated, I am not mechanically inclined, just trying to help a little

Thanks

Ken

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The car is worth more than $1200 parted out; whether they want to go through the effort of parting out the car and selling parts is up to them.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thanks EJ for fast reply

My "wife" actually suggested that, not sure how to go about it though. And, if he does want to go thru effort. Will pass it along--

A new engine is $3500 plus about $1000 to install. $8-9k? Wow that's a ripoff! That guy needs to trust a different mechanic...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Thanks for reply teflon_jones,

I looked at a company in Colorado that seems to be the only source and it said 4800. Maybe that was with shipping. I know 10 to 15 hours at 60 to 80 dollars and hour. There may be more things needed, not sure. He should get detailed breakdown from mechanic though.

Ken

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah that quote is real steep. Sounds like they want his car. I'd take it to a dealer and pay their $100 assessment fee. Even if the motor was not salvageable, and it needed a new turbo, the work performed at a Subaru Dealer would be in the $6500-$7500 range with brand new factory parts.

Chances are a lot of the parts are salvageable, a reputable private shop could perform the work for $3000-$5000.

If that car is clean title and in good shape, with those miles around here it's worth $8000-$10000 depending on condition.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

They just want your sons car
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

where in cleveland did your son take this car?
    oh and when you say overheated do you know if the coolant just leaked out, burned, did the engine stop running any other details?
    It seems kind of strange that the thermostat would just all the sudden stick closed and then overheat.
    Last edited by Scottyb0119; 11-18-2011 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002_wagon View Post
    They just want your sons car
    I agree with this, it happens all the time (I've done it). The repair cost is too high and the offer to buy is too low. Have it towed somewhere else.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Sorry guys, I had windows put in today--very busy

Mechanic doesn't really rebuild and thinks maybe that would be cheaper and possible.

Based on that, I would take to dealer or reputable mechanic that rebuilds and if not over 2-3k, repair then sell. He and his wife want new car anyway. He is original owner and would think once fixed could get 7k or a little more with such low mileage.

Ken
    Last edited by rugmankc; 11-19-2011 at 06:31 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Uh the head gasket issue was only on non-turbo 2.5's up till about 2002. His mechanic doesn't know much.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    The car is an 03 with only 38,000 miles?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    The car is an 03 with only 38,000 miles?
    A lot of garage time, as they used wife's car mostly and very close to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyb0119 View Post
    where in cleveland did your son take this car?
    oh and when you say overheated do you know if the coolant just leaked out, burned, did the engine stop running any other details?
    It seems kind of strange that the thermostat would just all the sudden stick closed and then overheat.
    Don't really know details, sorry.

Well to update

may need short block

dealer took apart for 657.00 and wants 600.00 to put back together or have him tow it home and try to sell

mechanic, according to dealer will buy for 600.00 since dealer still needs to collect the 657.00 from someone

sounds like a loss no matter what

is this car saleable to an enthusiast/mechanic as is for 2500

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.