New member w/o wrx

This is a discussion on New member w/o wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, I'm new to your forum so I can learn more about the wrx and sti's, before I buy one. ...

New member w/o wrx

Hi, I'm new to your forum so I can learn more about the wrx and sti's, before I buy one. My wife has a turbo 2010 forester, and while she was buying it, I drove a new STI. I've owned 9 different porsches, and still own a 75 911 hot rod, but I got hooked after the test drive.
    I know there are certain years that are more popular than others, and also if I buy a WRX how much will it cost to make up the hp difference with a tuner. Also what suspension upgrades are common among owners.
    I'm looking forward to reading and learning so I don't buy wrong. Any advice is welcome.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by FastChef View Post
    Hi, I'm new to your forum so I can learn more about the wrx and sti's, before I buy one. My wife has a turbo 2010 forester,
    How does she like it, those look interesting?

if I buy a WRX how much will it cost to make up the hp difference with a tuner.
    Depending on the model years, from very little to a few $K, but the real money and real differences are in the chassis, gearbox, and brakes, so it's generally not worth the time and $ to not buy what one wants at the onset. In other words, if you want something that behaves like the STi, get that car to begin with.

Also what suspension upgrades are common among owners.
    Usually bars and dampers plus springs since anything more or different gets more complicated, costly, and so on. There's a suspension forum with info, and you can also see the link in my signature for more info still.

Welcome.

Incidentally, do you recall if any of your Porsches had a catalytic converter fitted to the wastegate of their turbo? This came up in a recent thread and it just passed my mind again.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Welcome to the forum!
    2011 WRX WRB HB, 2011 FORESTER SSM AWP Premium.

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.
    Kurt Cobain

Turbo forester

Thanks for the info. It's the same thing on the Porsche boards, if you wanna go really fast, buy a turbo from the start.
    I've owned 3 930 turbos and the waste gates vent to atmosphere. Stock, they came with small mufflers, but most guys upgrade to the f46 tial with a 3-4" straight pipe.
    Then you can hear the wastegate.
    Are you able to modify newer STI's without losing warranty. I've read that the exhaust is the only thing to modify as far as the engine goes.
    My wife and I really love the turbo. My 911 has a 2.7 rs spec motor with pmo carbs.
    I joke with her that she has a turbo now and I don't.
    Kevin

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the info on the Porsche wastegates.

In general, if you use authentic parts and follow their schedule, they'll fix the car if something goes wrong.

If you don't, you'll fix the car if something goes wrong.

In an ideal world the direct answer to your modifications vs. warranty question is "no." Attitudes vary but the safest bet is to assume "no" in my view.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.