Concerned for my REX!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Concerned for my REX!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So here's the scoop. Usually I do all my own work on my Rex but life has changed my time ...

Angry Concerned for my REX!!!

So here's the scoop. Usually I do all my own work on my Rex but life has changed my time of availablity. So I took my car to dare I say it(jiffy lube). Ohh that hurt. I figured how bad could they F up an oil change. So let me tell u how they did just that. They put Quaker state 4x4 oil in my Rex I know that it is an AWD car but I believe that it needs more along the lines of a high mileage synthetic 145xxx is what I have put on her. Just curious if anyone has an idea of what possible damage I could incour until I flush my engine of this garbage. Please let me know what u think. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    did your car have synthetic in it before the oil change and did they put synthetic in it at jiffylub. was the weight of the oil the same?as in did you have 10w40 oil and they put 10w30

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    you could blow your motor. Drain the oil and put a good synthetic in it. If it were my car I wouldn't even start the car until its fixed
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabiznas408 View Post
    Please let me know what u think. Thanks.
    I can't imagine a variant of QS 4X4 that could somehow damage your car.

Since you don't have to change the oil again, you might consider using that time to look into how oils are specified and marketed. Bob Is The Oil Guy is a great site, and it will tell you all you need to know and then some.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I've always used 5-30 mobil 1. And these **** for brains must have thought oh it's AWD let's put Quaker state 4x4 oil in there. And they must have not realized that there is a difference between the too. Do my deliemma is to just run with and hope my car is ok and if it blows up since I have the paperwork saying that they put in the wrong oil file a lawsuit and get sumthing nice and shiner on there dime. Or do the nice humane thing and take it back in tomorow and notify them of there mistake and have them drain and flush and put in the correct oil while I'm breathing over there shoulder like an inconsiderate *******. Lol. So u don't think there will be any harm done with this oil in there? Let's say u were in my postion what would u do?

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    If it were me I would do one of 2 things. 1. drive it directly back to them and ask politely for them to put the correct oil in at no extra cost as it was their mistake. or 2. Change your oil back to something proper.

A lawsuit will cost you more than a new motor if you factor in the amount of time you will have in it plus lawyer costs. Your probably not going to hurt your motor but i would not drive with it any distance and during that distance I would drive like a grandma.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I've always used 5-30 mobil 1. And these **** for brains must have thought oh it's AWD let's put Quaker state 4x4 oil in there. And they must have not realized that there is a difference between the too.
    What exactly is the difference?

Why specifically is the oil they used in your car unsuitable?

Do my deliemma is to just run with and hope my car is ok and if it blows up since I have the paperwork saying that they put in the wrong oil file a lawsuit and get sumthing nice and shiner on there dime.
    Why would your car blow up?

Or do the nice humane thing and take it back in tomorow and notify them of there mistake and have them drain and flush and put in the correct oil while
    You could do this, and they would likely simply change your oil. They'd do so to appease you, as there is no rational reason I can fathom (let alone explained in this thread...) why your motor is in some sort of danger.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    If it were me I would do one of 2 things. 1. drive it directly back to them and ask politely for them to put the correct oil in at no extra cost as it was their mistake.
    OK, not unreasonable.

or 2. Change your oil back to something proper.
    I just have to ask: What exactly is wrong with the oil used now?

Your probably not going to hurt your motor but i would not drive with it any distance and during that distance I would drive like a grandma.
    Why? Sorry, I'm just not following. What's wrong with the QS 4X4 oil?

Given the OP's location and motor, I can find no viscosity of QS 4X4 that would not be suitable for use now, or year-round for that matter.

I have lost the plot here, and can't see what the alarm is about.

EDIT: Just thought of something though - if you were charged for M1, and QS is cheaper, then you have every reason to ask for the difference to be refunded or for the more expensive product to be installed.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 11-06-2011 at 09:26 PM.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I choose the Quaker state high mileage synthetic and the paperwork read out QS 4x4. I was just concerned that it was not the proper oil for the car since turbos usually require a synthetic oil correct?

I Support ClubWRX
    I choose the Quaker state high mileage synthetic and the paperwork read out QS 4x4. I was just concerned that it was not the proper oil for the car since turbos usually require a synthetic oil correct?
    What viscosity did they install?

What viscosities are specified in your owner's manual?

What is your usual oil change interval?

I Support ClubWRX
    turbo can handle syn or reg oil. i run reg oil in my 1994 volvo 850turbo and works fine, but cant cross the two oils together. once you go to syn your not suppose to go back to reg oil. please drain oil and do it yourself. only person i trust is myself and this is the reason y.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsorensen View Post
    but cant cross the two oils together. once you go to syn your not suppose to go back to reg oil.
    What data are there to support this?

What effects does using a synthetic have on the motor that then make a conventional oil unsuitable for use in that same motor?

I Support ClubWRX
    Argh, I'm getting "server busy" errors.

I'll cut to the chase:

If the oil installed meets the viscosity and grade requirements stated in the owner's manual, it is by definition suitable for use in the car.

If it were my car, I'd check the oil level frequently (use patterns are one of the few things that can in reality vary between oils, so don't get caught out on the level) and I'd simply drive the car as usual.

Hope this post gets through the errors. Good night all.

I Support ClubWRX
    It isn't the oils... it's the detergents.

You're not supposed to mix different oils because there are different detergents between different brands. So once you find one you like stick with it. And don't top off with a different brand, or fill with multiple brands.

Petroleum based oils, or synthetic based oils can be interchanged between changes. The viscosity is the viscosity. Period. Heck.. there are even synthetic blends on the shelf... which combine the two!

It used to be said that you have to stay synth after you went to synth once, but that has been proven wrong time and again.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    One of the criteria for API oils is (or at least used to be...) that they are miscible. This generally means that in the US, the main area of influence of the API, any oil with the API symbol is compatible with any other bearing that same symbol.

One disadvantage of mixing is that the end user is not a tribologist, and even if (s)he were, (s)he will not have the benefit of the data available to each firm that formulated each product, so it is extremely unlikely that a mixture will amount to even the "sum of the parts" as the saying goes. However I'd not worry about the motor.

The OP is worrying for very little cause, it's a shame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast