Noob! Thinking about getting a 2012 5door WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Noob! Thinking about getting a 2012 5door WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey Everybody! I've been following this forum for awhile. Really love this car. I'm in the market for a new ...

Smile Noob! Thinking about getting a 2012 5door WRX

Hey Everybody! I've been following this forum for awhile. Really love this car. I'm in the market for a new car (been driving my 2003 eclipse GT for 9years now!) and I'm really thinking of getting a WRX 5 door. I'm a triathlete and I love the idea of having room for all my gear. The only thing holding me back is the MPG on the car. Now I'm not a Prius kind of guy, I'd rather walk to work than drive one of those! But, I guess I'm concerned that with all the new technology coming out, maybe it would be a smarter decision to get something more fuel efficient. That said, I have yet to find a car that even comes close to the WRX in enjoyment. So, I guess my long question is.....Did anyone else go through this when you were buying your WRX, and are you happy with your decision? Thanks everyone! Excited to finally post on the forum!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Phobos78 View Post
    Did anyone else go through this when you were buying your WRX
    I actually went to look at an Audi A3 TDI.But the salesmen were a couple of jerks & this caused me to revert to my original decision of buying a WRX.

Quote Originally Posted by Phobos78 View Post
    and are you happy with your decision?
    extremely
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

It crossed my mind, but there will always be something better coming out next year

I Support ClubWRX
    I am not much a fan of the vws.. I had a few audis/vws past few years as DDs after I sold my 550 and well.. stuck with subaru

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

VW

Thats funny. I've been test driving cars, and no problem at Mazda and Subaru...but at 2 VW places I've been ignored. I still haven't test drove a GTI. The last guy told me they don't have one I can test drive. Plenty on the lot though. Strange. I do look young, but i'm 33 and have a good job. Its strange to me in this economy that they don't bend over backwards to try and make a sale. So yeah, no love from VW for me.

Probably they're afraid the car will break down during the test drive

you will love the amount of practicality a hatch offers. regarding the current models, you can't have fuel efficiency and great power at the same time, so that is going to be your call. i had a brief stint with a hybrid car, and i'll tell you, you will only enjoy it if saving gas is your top priority. otherwise, it is a soul-less experience that brings no joy while behind the wheel. get the wrx hatch; the triathlete in you will thank you for it.

I had a similar dilemma. I wanted to get a fun car to drive but I'm a miser and hated to pay for fuel (premium at that) more often than my old ride. I took the plunge and got the WRX and overall I'm happy. It is as fun to drive as advertised and the hatch has utility. However, the mileage actually was worse than I predicted. I work 2 miles from where I live and short distance kills the fuel economy since the engine hasn't enough time to warm up. Anyways, it is what it is and am still happy to be a part of the WRX/Sti community.
    2011 WRX 5 Door Spark Silver Metallic

The new Ford Focus ST could be fun, and should be cheaper to drive than the WRX. If you can stomach a FWD. Claimed 250hp from a 2.0 liter engine, and I don't think premium fuel is required.

The differences between the 2011 and 2012 WRX are super minimal. Almost entirely cosmetic color changes to headlight housings and interior trim. Nothing you would even notice had I not mentioned it. If you're serious about it I would just check for deals on 2011's which you might find now that the '12s are out.

And I'm getting 21-22mpg all city (no downtown city though) and I have a heavy foot. That's awesome mileage if you ask me.

And the hatchback is freaking amazing. I'm always impressed with what I can shove back there without any trouble.

I came from a killer Evo 8 (high powered...ahem....low mpg) into this and don't regret anything. I think the WRX is the best deal on the market right now. It strikes the balance of performance, mpg, cargo, fun, and reliability. You just can't beat it.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My 07 WRX got better mileage than was advertised. Highway trips were easily 28+mpg, city was 25 or so. My 11 STI gets worse than advertised. If I baby it, I can maybe squeeze 20mpg with about 50/50 highway/city.

My brother drives a 2010 Impreza sedan. He clears 30 driving all city.

For me, the hit in mileage is worth it. I drive about 2 hours a day and would rather love what I drive and pay for it, than be economy and hate it (previous to the WRX, I had a Focus).
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Thanks everyone for the info! I think I may just have to get one. I've been doing some MPG tests in my Mitsubishi and have been getting around 21-22 MPG. So Looks like it won't be a big shock to me going to the WRX. I'm gonna check out the LA auto show next week to sit in a bunch of cars....but I suspect a WRX is in my future. (=

I've owned a couple of VWs and they're great cars. They have the nicest interiors you'll find on the market, not even considering price. Great transmissions (if you get a manual) and overall very nice driving cars, just like pretty much every German car.

Subarus are great cars too. My STI is the only car other than a 911 that I've ever bought twice. You're always going to sacrifice fun-to-driveness for fuel economy.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I have just over 1100 miles this past week on the new 12' 5 door and have been running around 25mpg average.

One of the biggest selling points that got me when deciding on my 2011 5 door WRX was the room for gear, in a relatively compact car that was fun to drive. The AWD only helped sweeten the pot, as I find front wheel drive cars intolerable to drive, and it does help on some of the gravel roads, fire roads and other trailhead access roads while going hiking/camping.
    That said, the fuel economy is really disappointing. I'm averaging 22-23, even with a lot of highway driving, which is the same my brother gets on his 412 horsepower 2011 Mustang GT, and its a lot heavier and obviously brutally powerful.
    So I have to console myself with the off road capability, which is only marginally better than most sedans.

In retrospect, I feel I might have been better off with the Lexus CTh, which is similarly priced (when equally equipped), has the same room, and much better fuel mileage.

Just being brutally honest. Something to think about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast