New Guy Looking For Advice

This is a discussion on New Guy Looking For Advice within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey, I just bought my '05 Impreza WRX while I was home on leave from Afghanistan in May. It is ...

New Guy Looking For Advice

Hey,

I just bought my '05 Impreza WRX while I was home on leave from Afghanistan in May. It is currently sitting in a climate controlled garage being driven once a week for about 30 minutes. I am just looking for some tips and tricks on the best way to go with it. For the week I got to drive it, it drove like a champ. I drove it from East Tennessee to Myrtle Beach with no problems.

I bought it for 14K with 52K miles on it, never been in the shop for anything other than fluid changes and part upgrades (new exhaust, sway bars, cam shafts, turbo, air intake, wing and hood scoop). The guy I bought it off of, explained to me that it was his wife's car that he had taken over to mod his own way. I had never been driven hard at all, and only had a few dings and dents in the outside from a hail storm.

I am very happy with it, but I have no clue what to do as far as the smart way to upgrade it or where to look for good deals. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, I am a complete car noob. So the Fisher Price version of any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
    Chris
    Last edited by ReginSupreme; 10-25-2011 at 02:57 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It really depnds on what you're trying to do with it. Are you just looking to make it a fun/fast daily driver? Will you be tracking the car? If so, street ot dirt? Knowing where you want to be (having an end goal) will be the first step to modding it wisely.
    Greg
    Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    First thing figure out what your goal is for it and then figure out how much you're trying to spend.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

Honestly with those mods you should be set on power (What turbo). I would look in to suspension mods, make that thing ride on rails. Bushings, sways...

As for storage, you don't need anyone to drive it every week. I am in Korea (Osan AB), i just have my wife drive my car around every month or two. Once i get back in Jan (Dover AFB) i'll change out all the fluids and run a mild "break in" to get everything flowing again.

Nice car, stay safe.

First of HUA lol. Hope u enjoyed ur leave and come back safe bro. Btw if u get tired of deployments and want to come over to contracting let me know it'd a lot nicer. Now can I know what exactly is done to the car? What's turbo size did u buy it locally? Any change done to altitude can throw off your tuning and could cause costly. Be sure to read up on these cars and this site has great individuals to get advice and learn from. Welcome to the club man be safe.
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KronosPerformance View Post
    First thing figure out what your goal is for it and then figure out how much you're trying to spend.
    ^^ that
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

thanks for the responses.

currently, i dont know the exact extent my car was modded. im gonna get more in detail when i get home in february time frame. i know i want it to be my everyday driver. i like the power that it is at now, but i wanna keep my options open in the future. im not looking to do a whole lot of intense racing with it. not to say i dont want to be able to smoke a rice burner off a red light, but this is really a learner car for me. i want to learn how to mod it myself and really learn the in's and out's of how to work on cars. thus, anything super advanced right off the bat is kind of out of the question. (by the way, an little fisher price explination of what the parts you suggest do would be nice. im still new to the whole modding scene.)

and to 2002_wagon, yeah being 11B on deployment is kind of getting old. 10 months in afghanistan with another 5 years left in the military means that i have at least 3 more tours before im done. contracting would be nice, and feel free to email me at "xamia91@rocketmail.com" with some details. i have some buddies that might wanna hit you up about it.