Long block and turbo charger replaced

This is a discussion on Long block and turbo charger replaced within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just purchased a 2008 wrx premium with 32k miles on it. The carfax report shows that the long block ...

Long block and turbo charger replaced

I just purchased a 2008 wrx premium with 32k miles on it. The carfax report shows that the long block and turbo charger were replaced in May of this year when the car had 27k miles on it.

This made me a bit concerned but I went through with the purchase.

My question to the experts in this forum:

1) Should I be worried? What could have happened to this car to require such major repair after only 27k miles?

2) Is it likely that the car has been abused by previous owner?

3) The dealer (not a subaru dealer) told me to let the car idle a few minutes after arriving at my destination to help the engine cool down. Is this sound advice? What do I need to know about my new subbie to keep her purring for years to come?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chadschw View Post

1) Should I be worried? What could have happened to this car to require such major repair after only 27k miles?
    A factory defect, bad luck, abuse, modifications, or a combination thereof.

2) Is it likely that the car has been abused by previous owner?
    You will be the judge. Does the car look well sorted?

3) The dealer (not a subaru dealer) told me to let the car idle a few minutes after arriving at my destination to help the engine cool down. Is this sound advice?
    Whether it's sound or not, it's not significant compared to what's stated in the factory owner's manual. If you have the manual, take advantage. If not, get one and become familiar, it has all the info you need to know. Mine even takes the time to dismiss this common practice.

What do I need to know about my new subbie to keep her purring for years to come?

Thanks!
    Follow the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual, preferring authentic Subaru parts.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.