Stage 2????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stage 2???? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I purchased a 02 wrx with a full turbo back exhaust and some other mods (mods dont affect the engine) ...

Stage 2????

I purchased a 02 wrx with a full turbo back exhaust and some other mods (mods dont affect the engine) So my question is.... do i have a stage 2? and I put on a agency power bov and perrin short ram. I have read, and been told that its not a good idea to do this, and was wondering how to make all these parts work together so i dont lose my $$$ on the parts i put on. I know these are all noob ?s but I am confused on this stage 2 stuff. please help and be nice
    SoMeTiMeS iTs BeTtEr To AsK fOr FoRgIvEnEsS...... rAtHeR tHaN pErMiSsIoN!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    stage 2 is a a TBE plus tune. Do you know if/how the car was tuned?
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    stage 2 is a a TBE plus tune. Do you know if/how the car was tuned?
    I know the car did get a tune after the exhaust, just not sure how or what was done. the guy i bought the car from seemed pretty smart about subies. it also has a upgraded turbo (not sure the numbers on turbo). I believe the turbo work and exhaust was done at same time and then tune was to follow. Would purchasing a accessport solve my ?s and problems?

I just emailed the guy i bought car from with a couple of ?s. let u know what he says, and thanks for the help!!!

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    if the car wasn't tuned with an accessport - that probably isn't the best route to go from here.

Since you aren't saying the CEL is coming on, I imagine the car is still tuned.

It is very important to know what turbo is on the car right now. Do you have a boost gauge? It would be bad if you are boosting very high numbers. Stock, your car boosts around 13.5psi. If you boosting over 18psi, you should expect problems - unless the previous owner also beefed up the engine internals and transmission.

How many miles on the car? What kind of intercooler do you have? What kind of intake do you have?
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    if the car wasn't tuned with an accessport - that probably isn't the best route to go from here.

Since you aren't saying the CEL is coming on, I imagine the car is still tuned.

It is very important to know what turbo is on the car right now. Do you have a boost gauge? It would be bad if you are boosting very high numbers. Stock, your car boosts around 13.5psi. If you boosting over 18psi, you should expect problems - unless the previous owner also beefed up the engine internals and transmission.

How many miles on the car? What kind of intercooler do you have? What kind of intake do you have?
    I dont have a cel and everything seems fine with the car, runs/idles great. I have asked the previous owner what turbo he put on the car, the numbers should be stamped on turbo itself, right?

The car has 201,000 miles on it with the stock top mount. I just took the bov and intake off about 20 mins ago, and went back stock till I figure this out. The intake is a Perrin short ram. Is going back to stock w intake and bov the best thing to do right now? Im not trying to replace engine!

Im pretty sure car has been tuned after mods, because just like you said, im not throwing any codes.

and i do not have a boost gauge

So i just read about 20 pages of "The big bov thread" and to my unstanding a BOV serves no purpose other than the "pssst" sound and it causes no performance gain......actually causes performance loss do to the loss of rpm and spooling of turbo. Also, the running rich of the engine bc its venting into atmosphere as to recirc. so the air has already passed MAF and fuel has been calculated to match the air that has just vented. Now, your running rich and get a "gunky" builup on exhaust. So to my understanding running a BOV isnt going to blow you engine up or cause problems, right?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDude02
    So to my understanding running a BOV isnt going to blow you engine up or cause problems, right?
    A properly-setup valve that doesn't leak shouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDude02
    The intake is a Perrin short ram. Is going back to stock w intake and bov the best thing to do right now? Im not trying to replace engine!
    Depends on whether or not the tune took into account the Perrin SRI.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    A properly-setup valve that doesn't leak shouldn't be an issue.

Depends on whether or not the tune took into account the Perrin SRI.
    The Perrin Sri was a ad on after tune. Why is it bad to add SRI?

SRIs suck in hot engine compartment air and actually make you lose power. All they give you is more sound. They can also cause MAF issues due to the oiled filter. The stock airbox already flows more air than your engine needs.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    SRIs suck in hot engine compartment air and actually make you lose power. All they give you is more sound. They can also cause MAF issues due to the oiled filter. The stock airbox already flows more air than your engine needs.
    Yea thats all i want it for is the sound and look in the engine bay. I have had a CAI and i will never buy one again (water does not compress lol). So my ? is, will the SRI hurt my engine? Ive looked all over the forum for that answer. They said newer cars require a tune after, but mine is a 02. im running a stage 2 w tune and im now adding BOV and SRI.....what problems could i have?

You need to forget about the BOV. For intakes, you can buy a device for the AEM intake that will prevent hydrolock (i.e. the water intake you experienced).

I don't understand the whole thing about wanting the look in your engine bay. 99.999% of time nobody can see it. So for that .001% of the time you have your hood open and it's visible, it's worth it to you that people can see it? I can understand the sound part.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

You need to forget about the BOV. For intakes, you can buy a device for the AEM intake that will prevent hydrolock (i.e. the water intake you experienced).

I don't understand the whole thing about wanting the look in your engine bay. 99.999% of time nobody can see it. So for that .001% of the time you have your hood open and it's visible, it's worth it to you that people can see it? I can understand the sound part.
    I know what device you are talking about. I actually had one in the mail as the hydrolock happened. This was my previous Honda, but i will just avoid CAI for future purchases. I understand the purpose of a CAI vs. SRI and i would rather not go down the road of hydrolock again or even flirt w disaster of buying one again. The 3,200 dollars i spent on a new engine wasnt worth it, lol.

As far as the intake goes, the sound was VERY nice and i guess its my tatse.... but i think it looks good under the hood, and i would rather have a nice name brand upgrade part, rather than the stock black airbox. Its not for showing it off bc your right, my hood is never opened. Why do people buy parts for under the hood in different colors? Its never exposed, its just a preference of something a individual likes.

Sorry, didnt mean to sound rude if i came off that way. Just trying to express my view on subject

I Support ClubWRX
    For intakes, you can buy a device for the AEM intake that will prevent hydrolock
    ? What's this?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast