Stage 2???? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Stage 2???? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Sinister ? What's this? Its called a air bypass vlave....and if u have a CAI, I HIGHLY ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    ? What's this?
    Its called a air bypass vlave....and if u have a CAI, I HIGHLY recommend u by one. Trust me!!!!!!
    SoMeTiMeS iTs BeTtEr To AsK fOr FoRgIvEnEsS...... rAtHeR tHaN pErMiSsIoN!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

*buy lol. sorry

So my ? is .......Will a bov and intake without a tune hurt my car? (like blow the engine up) or will it be fine for a month or so til i buy a AP

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDude02
    Its called a air bypass vlave....and if u have a CAI, I HIGHLY recommend u by one. Trust me!!!!!!
    http://www.aemintakes.com/air_bypass_valve.htm

I think I trust AEM's opinion on the matter over yours. They explicitly state that it's not to be used on F/I vehicles...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    I think a change in though process is in need. I would suggest thinking in matters of "will it blow up my motor" and think in matters of "is this the best thing for my motor or can it be harmful and is it truly an upgrade". Do away with the BOV, sell it and move on. You need a way to monitor boost so look into gauges and find out what turbo is on the car, if injectors, fuel pump, etc were upgraded. You need to know everything thats on your
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    AEM Air Bypass Valve for Cold Air Intakes - Prevents Hydro-lock

I think I trust AEM's opinion on the matter over yours. They explicitly state that it's not to be used on F/I vehicles...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    I did not know they coudnt be used on F/I cars. Im sure I have read that before, bc like i said, I purchased one. If u do have a CAI.... my opinion is to get rid of it bc I have locked the motor up on my Honda due to suction of water. It took 4 yrs of having the CAI on before I was a victim to hydrolock. 1 1/2 inches of water in your cylinders is not fun. Thats my opionon off "been there done that"

I do apologize for my incorrect information. Good thing you didnt buy one lol

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    I think a change in though process is in need. I would suggest thinking in matters of "will it blow up my motor" and think in matters of "is this the best thing for my motor or can it be harmful and is it truly an upgrade". Do away with the BOV, sell it and move on. You need a way to monitor boost so look into gauges and find out what turbo is on the car, if injectors, fuel pump, etc were upgraded. You need to know everything thats on your
    Thank you for your input Thats what I will most likely end up doing. I have already purchased a boost gauge and im awaiting an email from previous owner for a list of all the mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    ? What's this?

2003 WRX- Newbie
    1997 S-10 zr2- work/quad hauler
    1991 crx si-r- all motor B16
    1989 crx si- beater

"It looks like Scarface sneezed on you car!"

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The turbo will have the letters stamped on it, but its hard to see - if the previous owner put a proper heat shield on it.

If you "want the sound" and would be willing to give up the "look" under the hood, you can do the snorkus delete mod. Very easy, and cheap.

I am honestly floored that you have these mods on the car with no boost gauge. I really think that should be your first purchase. I also think you need some level of engine management software so you can look at where your current AFR, Boost Targets, and Ignition Advance numbers are.

I don't want to scare you... Like you said, its running and idling fine right now. However, these cars can be modified "and run great" right up until the worst happens.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The Perrin SRI is known for being one of the worst ones for causing turbulence around the MAF sensor that can throw things off. Fortunately it is fairly good about not skewing the readings, like some. Still, I would not drive the car without being tuned for it.

If you want the SRI that bad, I would strongly suggest getting the car retuned for it. If your current tune is good and you can find someone willing to work with you (preferably the previous tuner), then it won't take long to adjust the map to work with the intake. A few tweaks to the MAF scaling and you should be good to go.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    However, these cars can be modified "and run great" right up until the worst happens.

lol.. "it made the most power.. right before the engine blew". I've heard that one more than just a few times.

I have taken the parts off until my Cobb AP arrives. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out! These cars are complete opposite of what im use to, but with all the reading on here, and other forums its all making sense. Boost guage has arrived and im waiting till this weekend when i have time to install. I will post back when i know the turbo number and psi. Thanks again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12