Newb
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Newb within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So after owning two Mazdaspeed 3's over the last two and a half years, I finally got my WRX. Its ...

Newb

So after owning two Mazdaspeed 3's over the last two and a half years, I finally got my WRX. Its a 2011 Satin White Pearl premium. Came with tinted windows, homelink and SPT short shifter. Couldn't be happier!

Once I get it detailed, I'll get some pics up.

Not planning to do much to it for now except maybe something simple like an intake and HIDs. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    '11 SWP WRX: Cobb front/rear shifter bushings, Whiteline rear diff front bushings, Nameless axleback

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Greg
    Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Sounds good. Thanks for the info! Guess I'll be waiting to get an AP.
    '11 SWP WRX: Cobb front/rear shifter bushings, Whiteline rear diff front bushings, Nameless axleback

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Checkout our accessport packages to save you some money. Link is in the signature.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Welcome to the forum I respect mazda3speed but I love subies more
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

I loved the MS3 also. They both have their strong suits. The speed had a better interior, HIDs, and more torque. But the subie is a subie. I've always wanted a WRX. The MS3 was moreso a stopgap until I could find the WRX I've wanted.

So maybe you all can help me out. I've searched all over, and can't find what I'm looking for. If I've missed it, please just shoot me a link and I'll be happy to check it out.

Since I've never had a WRX before, should I let the car warm up before driving it? Or is it ok to drive cold? The speed had no break-in period, and took no more than 45 seconds to warm up. The WRX seems to take a bit longer, so I'm not sure if I should let it warm up first, or just go about my day cold.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bradboyd80 View Post
    So maybe you all can help me out. I've searched all over, and can't find what I'm looking for. If I've missed it, please just shoot me a link and I'll be happy to check it out.

Since I've never had a WRX before, should I let the car warm up before driving it? Or is it ok to drive cold? The speed had no break-in period, and took no more than 45 seconds to warm up. The WRX seems to take a bit longer, so I'm not sure if I should let it warm up first, or just go about my day cold.
    Its just like any other car, just let it idle at least for 30 seconds...but as much as I say that, I'm guilty of just driving right after I start it up but I don't get on it until its warmed up all the way.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

Welcome to the forum!
    2011 WRX WRB HB, 2011 FORESTER SSM AWP Premium.

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.
    Kurt Cobain

I just crank it up and go and I have never had any problems.

Thanks for the input. I never get on it anyway due to the break-in according to the manual. I've heard of some cars that you can't drive until at least the needle starts moving.

I recently bought an 11 WRX. Before that I drove a 00 Focus so I know almost nothing about performance cars. I just really liked the WRX so I finally bought one.

Anyway, one of the things I'd heard about the WRX is that you can relatively cheaply increase it's performance, etc by modifying it. It seems like this accessport is something people do as a first step. I'm not sure what an accessport is, but it sounds like you plug it into the car and it does something to the ECU to tune it. Is that right? Does that mean that if you buy an accessport and plug it in to a stock WRX, you'll more-or-less automatically increase performance, or do you need to buy other parts to do so? Is it something that a unknowledgable person like me can do and actually notice some benefits?

Sorry, all very noob questions, but I'm noob so what can I say...
    Last edited by LowLow; 10-28-2011 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LowLow View Post
    I recently bought an 11 WRX. Before that I drove a 00 Focus so I know almost nothing about performance cars. I just really liked the WRX so I finally bought one.

Anyway, one of the things I'd heard about the WRX is that you can relatively cheaply increase it's performance, etc by modifying it. It seems like this accessport is something people do as a first step. I'm not sure what an accessport is, but it sounds like you plug it into the car and it does something to the ECU to tune it. Is that right? Does that mean that if you buy an accessport and plug it in to a stock WRX, you'll more-or-less automatically increase performance, or do you need to buy other parts to do so? Is it something that a unknowledgable person like me can do and actually notice some benefits?

I haven't done enough research to be able to answer some of that. You are right in that essentially all you do is buy the accessport, and through the OBD port you retune the ECU, which can add some extra horsepower. But keep in mind it's not as simple as "plug it in and go". I've never personally used one, but I'm pretty sure you have to download a map from the Cobb website to the accessport. Then when you plug it into the car, you can load the map to your ECU. Gains are usually minimal for a stock vehicle however (for the WRX I don't know what the gains are yet). But, once you add an intake, exhaust, downpipe, or other bolt on mods, is when you notice the largest gains.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by LowLow View Post

Did you read the Cobb Tuning website? They literally answer every question you just asked...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Cobb+tuning+accessport

Sent from my Droid 2
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast