Getting the stock exhaust off
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Getting the stock exhaust off within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yesterday i spent hours trying to take off my stock exhaust so i could put my new one on. However, ...

Getting the stock exhaust off

Yesterday i spent hours trying to take off my stock exhaust so i could put my new one on. However, the bolts are so rusted that it was a complete fail and one of the bolts i got off just snapped off (by accident). Any recommendations on how to get it off, possibly without cutting it into pieces? Btw i have a 2004 wrx.
    Last edited by ETB-L.O.S.-2.0; 10-22-2011 at 06:09 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Use some PB blaster on them . Spray it on . Let it soak in , come back In a few hours and spray again an let sit . Then try again to remove the hardware from the exhaust .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you snapped a bolt get a easy out set. Also what v6 said pb blast is your best friend let it soak then come back. Also use some simple green to help break loose the hangers that are holding on your exhaust.
    08 Sti, Stage 2 Protune.

It's an absolute must that any car with more than a few miles on it needs to get soaked with penetrating fluid for several hours before trying to get the bolts out. Another simple but very important step is to tap the head of the bolts with the end your wrench when you spray them, then spray again and tap again a few hours later. The tapping is critical to getting the fluid to really get down into the threads. Another trick that can be helpful is to use an impact wrench set on low power to vibrate the bolts to break them loose. You can also do this instead of tapping them to just get the fluid down into the threads.

EZ out is the only way to get the sheared bolts out.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

If you snapped off a bolt and not a stud you are good just go to the parts house and get some new hardware.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Please clarify the bolt you snapped.... If you snapped the threaded stud that the downpipe sits on (@ the turbo), you have a real headache in front of you. I can't exactly remember, but the connection between the mid-pipe and the cat-back was odd to me (the springloaded bolts/studs) - I think 1 side turns, but the other doesn't - don't turn the wrong side.

1.) PB Blaster is way better than liquid wrench (my opinion)
    2.) You should never use 12-point sockets, only 6-point
    3.) Impact wrench would be cool to use, but you can't fit it in there (by the turbo)
    4.) Make sure you have the right tool to remove the O2 sensor (if you are replacing the downpipe)
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

heat them up really good with a mapp gas torch.

Im taking the whole exhaust off and the bolt/screw that snapped off was from the heat shield section over the turbo... and does the heat shield need to go back on the aftermarket exhaust?

nope

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ETB-L.O.S.-2.0 View Post
    Im taking the whole exhaust off and the bolt/screw that snapped off was from the heat shield section over the turbo... and does the heat shield need to go back on the aftermarket exhaust?
    You need some sort of shielding... You won't damage the car without it, but you will certainly heat up the intercooler and loose power without it.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.