"In the Process"
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on "In the Process" within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all! This is the frist WRX forum I found and decided to try it out. I have been on ...

"In the Process"

Hello all!

This is the frist WRX forum I found and decided to try it out. I have been on Jeep forums for a while so I know how everything works.

I say "In the Process" because I haven't actaully bought my WRX YET. I am looking for the perfect one.

My budget allows for a 2003/2004 WRX sti OR 2005/2006 WRX.
    I want to hear your opinions on what I should get. I'm leaning more to the 2005/2006 WRX, I'e heard that the engines are more reliable (2.0 v.s. 2.5). This IS going to be my DD.

I look forward to meeting you all and thanks in advance for all your opinions!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome! I just recently bought my first wrx 07 my favorite body style.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #619

I Support ClubWRX
    you're a little off on your facts...

2004 was the start of the STi. between the 04, and the 05... I'd get the 05 every time.

the 06/07 WRX were the same body style and had the 2.5L, 02-05WRXs had a 2.0L.

My car is my daily driver, but has 380WHP (~480 horsepower at the engine block). What exactly are you wanting out of your "Daily Driver"? Are you planning on modifying? Keeping stock? AutoX? Track days? etc etc etc. Give us more as to what you're looking for out of your future subaru.

Welcome to the club!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Okay, wow, thanks Sinister. Yea, I've been researching on the internet, but it's not easy finding out some details, like when exactly they started the sti and engine size etc.

So what I want out of it?
    I'm not planning on doing a lot of modifications, I AM a gear head though, I'll be doing all repairs and maintenece myself. No track days or racing really. Definitely want a turbo, but I understand WRX AND sti have turbos.
    I want a fast Subaru, sick of driving around my '07 Corolla, I'm selling that slow car...
    I've always wanted a Subaru, I love the boxer engine, AWD, low center of gravity, I just think their the best, coolest cars.

Welcome and good luck with your purchase. Dont be afraid to ask ? theres alot of very knowledgeable people on here.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

How can you be a gearhead yet not plan on doing modifications? If you're a gearhead you modify your cars...

A lot depends on your budget and what you're really looking for. An STI will cost you the same for a vehicle with 20k more miles and 2 years older versus a similar WRX. Coming from a slow-as-molasses jeep and the Corolla, a WRX will already be a huge upgrade never mind an STI.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I remember saying I wouldn't be modifying...oh how naive!
    GL on your search/purchase

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    How can you be a gearhead yet not plan on doing modifications? If you're a gearhead you modify your cars...

A lot depends on your budget and what you're really looking for. An STI will cost you the same for a vehicle with 20k more miles and 2 years older versus a similar WRX. Coming from a slow-as-molasses jeep and the Corolla, a WRX will already be a huge upgrade never mind an STI.
    Haha, yea well, I've done so much work on my Jeep, you're probably right on doing mods... haha

I Support ClubWRX
    If you're wanting a DD that you don't plan on modifying heavily... the 2006-2007 WRX would be great. If you plan on heavily modifying your car, and it has a future of driving to the race track.. then the STi is a must.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    If you're wanting a DD that you don't plan on modifying heavily... the 2006-2007 WRX would be great. If you plan on heavily modifying your car, and it has a future of driving to the race track.. then the STi is a must.
    Good thing you took your own advice huh Kevin?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm speaking from a little thing I like to call... experience. It would've taken me thousands less to get to my current point if I would've bought an STi. But it's pretty incredible to own a nearly 400whp WRX that I did almost everything on.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I'm speaking from a little thing I like to call... experience. It would've taken me thousands less to get to my current point if I would've bought an STi. But it's pretty incredible to own a nearly 400whp WRX that I did almost everything on.
    Yea, I saw that. I took a look at your build thread, pretty incredible man. I would LOVE to get an STI, but I would also be incredibly happy with just a WRX. Not sure I'll be able to pull of a 2006-2007, most likely it'll be a 2005 but we'll see what the Subaru Gods have in store. It's basically going to come down to waiting for that "perfect" one...
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts!
    I can tell I'm going to be on this forum a lot, especially once I actually get my Subaru
    :cheers:

Okay guys, I'm looking at two 2005 WRX's on Thurs. One is blk with 58,xxx miles 2.5 L engine and some wierd after market wing, and the other is silver sti wing with 87,xxx miles 2.0 L engine. Both are stock & have minor dings/scratches. Is there a big difference in the engines?
    What you guys think? I'll try and post some pics too

I Support ClubWRX
    The 2.5L engine on a 2005 WRX is a replacement block. So that one is not "stock"
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Interesting, I bet the guy posted it wrong on the site then...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.