TMIC - tune?

This is a discussion on TMIC - tune? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, still kinda noobish to Subies, i'm currently running stg 2 (perrin dp, SPT cbe, AP Perrin custom map, ...

TMIC - tune?

Hey guys, still kinda noobish to Subies, i'm currently running stg 2 (perrin dp, SPT cbe, AP Perrin custom map, sways, endlinks...

Looking to pick up a TMIC from Process West, but was wondering if I should retune my car either with Cobb AP or a shop... or if it's not needed for a TMIC.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It is the TMIC that is not needed. If you insist, look at the map notes for whatever you are running and see if the part is supported. In general you would need neither the TMIC nor the tune for it, but it's always best to check.

If you are getting the TMIC in preparation for something else, do it all together and tune it all together then.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I know it's not necessary, but I'm doing it for the hp gains (~20-30 per other threads)... thoughts?

I Support ClubWRX
    You have a newer car? My choices for what to do would be
    1. Nothing.
    2. TMIC and new map.
    3.TMIC.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2011 wrx. power goal is around 300-320hp. The next two things on my list were TMIC and Grimmspeed uppipe.

I Support ClubWRX
    You shouldn't need to retune for the TMIC, but you're going to see minimal gains without doing so; about the only thing you'll see is a bit of safety margin and a slight increase in throttle response.

Quote Originally Posted by penukoko
    2011 wrx. power goal is around 300-320hp. The next two things on my list were TMIC and Grimmspeed uppipe.
    Don't bother with the uppipe unless you're doing a turbo swap (then it's just the two manifold elbow bolts to remove it) or going EWG. Yours is catless from the factory, and the gain in power/spool will not be worth the PITA install, and even then, you'd need to remap to see them.

Since you listed numbers, contact the shop doing the tuning, and ask them what it takes to reach XXX on their dyno; they will know it and their work best.

My advice if you're looking for a bit more power but want to remain somewhat stock, grab the PW TMIC, an aftermarket recirc valve, BCS/MBC/both, and get a custom reflash.
    Last edited by EJ257; 10-08-2011 at 11:41 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

what about a tune for the uppipe, I am installing both on the same day. I think Perrin will probably send me another map but it's not a Perrin uppipe so they might not hook it up.

I Support ClubWRX
    Not needed.

I Support ClubWRX
    what about a tune for the uppipe, I am installing both on the same day. I think Perrin will probably send me another map but it's not a Perrin uppipe so they might not hook it up.
    Like I said, you won't see much in terms of gains without a remap, but it's not needed to safely run one.

As for the Perrin maps, I wouldn't bother if you're paying for them. If you don't live close enough to a tuner for a custom tune, there are outfits that will tune via e-mail. I believe Torqued Performance does it, and I know PhatBotti TKR on Nasioc does.

UNYSOC

I got the custom Perrin map free when I bought their dp. They emailed it to me based on my current mods and location (altitude?). I will def check out TP, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I think Denver or Vegas are the closest tuner shops... Cobb used to be based here in SLC but have since relocated to Texas.

Any other advice as far as my power goal? Is an upgraded turbo needed to hit 300+whp?

I Support ClubWRX
    I got the custom Perrin map free when I bought their dp. They emailed it to me based on my current mods and location (altitude?). I will def check out TP, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I think Denver or Vegas are the closest tuner shops... Cobb used to be based here in SLC but have since relocated to Texas.
    Regardless of whether they tailored the map at all, it's still a base map, as I doubt they sent you revisions based on logs you gave them.

Any other advice as far as my power goal? Is an upgraded turbo needed to hit 300+whp?
    See:
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257
    Since you listed numbers, contact the shop doing the tuning, and ask them what it takes to reach XXX on their dyno; they will know it and their work best.
    Every dyno is different. What makes 300whp on one dyno may make 275 on another.

UNYSOC