Just Bought My First Subaru!!!

This is a discussion on Just Bought My First Subaru!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys just bought my first Subaru! It's a 2002 WRX hatchback manual, and I have some questions about it ...

Just Bought My First Subaru!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (2).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	99794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	99793Hey guys just bought my first Subaru! It's a 2002 WRX hatchback manual, and I have some questions about it that i would really appreciate some feedback on.

My tires really need replaced and are 215/45zr17 what tires would you recommend? I live around STL Missouri if your wondering my weather conditions.

Would you keep the white bumper or take it off?

I also have a mechanical issue, when i step on the throttle to the floor in 3rd gear or higher, the RPM's fly up about 3k, drop down about 1k, and then continue going up is this normal?

Love the car right now, hardly any Subaru's in my area, Haven't seen a single Impreza yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WRX.gif  
    Last edited by Heyitsadam; 10-06-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Picture not working

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the Forum!

If you need any advice or parts, let me know.

PS: My name is Adam too lol
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

Welcome!

That white bumper is kinda pug fugly IMHO. If it was body color it would blend in much better, but honestly I don't know if I'd have it on there at all. I don't think I've ever seen one that shape/size before either.

WRT your problem with revs, does the tach jump, the engine, or both? Do you get any codes?

WRT new tires, how wide are the rims? Are you going to be using dedicated summer/winter tires or an all season?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

welcome where in MO are you at?
    ~Dan~ 2011 WRX Limited Stage 2 TP Stinkeye Mob #93

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Thanks! And the tach jumps and the engine revs, my code is evaporative control the code is p1443 b. Not sure about tire size i thought 215 was the width, and im wanting all season probably

Quote Originally Posted by kcwrxfan View Post
    welcome where in MO are you at?
    Im around the festus area about 30 mins south of st. Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by Heyitsadam View Post
    Thanks! And the tach jumps and the engine revs, my code is evaporative control the code is p1443 b. Not sure about tire size i thought 215 was the width, and im wanting all season probably
    The simple and most common issue that throws that code is because your gas cap isn't tight. Next you need to make sure the cap itself isn't bad and not sealing properly. Third you should look at all the lines that go into and out of the evap canister and make sure none of them are pinched or restricted in any way.

The rev issue is unrelated. It sounds like an issue with your clutch. Does the pedal travel normally in distance and feel? You should have about a 1/2" of slack at the top where it's really easy to push before it starts to disengage the clutch plate from the flywheel. How many miles are on it? Do you know if the clutch has ever been replaced?

For the tires, I'd highly recommend getting dedicated summer and winter tires. All season tires are called that because they're not good in all seasons. You can pick up an inexpensive set of winter rims and tires already mounted for free from tirerack.com. It looks like those tires are correct to the rims. It's hard to tell without a shot from the front or rear where you can see what the sidewall of the tire looks like. Dedicated winter/summer rims and tires pay for themselves in 2 years because of the mounting charges of about $30/tire that you'll pay twice a year. That's $240/year or $480 for 2 years, which equals the cost of a set of rims. After 2 years, the rims have paid for themselves and you start to save money and trouble because you don't have to take the tires to a shop twice a year to get them swapped.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    depending on the width of the rim I would say 225/45/17 instead of the 215/45/17 since it is closer to the oem 205/55/16

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC