Cobb Ap Question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Cobb Ap Question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Is it worth getting and re-mapping before any mods? or shall I wait until I do the up pipe and ...

Cobb Ap Question

Is it worth getting and re-mapping before any mods? or shall I wait until I do the up pipe and such?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #619

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't do the up pipe.

Since you won't be doing that, it leaves you with the choices:

1. Do nothing.
    2. Get an AP, use it and do nothing else.
    3. Get an AP, get parts specifically supported by the AP, install the parts, use the correct AP map.
    4. Get a third-party tune +/- additional parts (but again, no up pipe).

My choices would be 1, 4 without additional parts, 4 with additional parts, 2, 3 in order of preference.

Parts without CARB exemption make the car illegal on public roads in CA. Removing any emissions parts makes the car illegal anywhere in the US.

Happy shopping.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks so is it beneficial to just use the AP or is it basically useless without supporting mods?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #619

I Support ClubWRX
    An uppipe on the 2.5L Impreza is unnecessary and wasted without a custom tune. Even with a custom tune, I wouldn't bother with an aftermarket unit unless you were going EWG or swapping turbos, since the PITA install doesn't justify the minor spool/power gains you'd see.

With no other modifications, a reflash is worth the effort. Whether you go the route of the Cobb AP or OpenECU, it will give you more power everywhere and a better overall driving experience.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thanks EJ just didnt want to jump the gun on getting a AP, and thanks for the info on the up pipe.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #619

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalWrx07 View Post
    Thanks so is it beneficial to just use the AP or is it basically useless without supporting mods?
    I agree with EJ257.

The AP will be beneficial without further mods, but note that it should only be used as-is, or with specifically supported mods as listed by the maker. Contact them for more info.

So either don't get it, or get it and use it with the car as is, or get it plus only what it says it'll work with and use that all together -- or go open source.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 09-30-2011 at 04:43 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for your help SD_GR and EJ appreciate it very much
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #619

What is open source?

I Support ClubWRX
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 09-30-2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: added more links
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.