Painting my Tailights this weekend! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Painting my Tailights this weekend! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by T0rque LOL, could you post a link to the website you can buy them from? I googled ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    LOL, could you post a link to the website you can buy them from? I googled and all I found was people *****ing about the install.
    As far as I know you can only email Mr. Bluebat & he will reply several days later.Another good option is 2008-11 Subaru WRX / STI Hatchback Tail Light Overlays

Bluebat's tail lights installed

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CandyCandice View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I plan on painting my tails this weekend and have seen and read the forums about painting your tailights with krylon and clear coat. However the other walkthrough involves taking the lights out. I was wondering whether anyone has just taped around the tail lights and sprayed directly over it? This seems like a much easier solution? Any thoughts?

-Candice
    You're best removing them from the car. Its pretty easy to get them out and really to do the job correctly they need to be removed. That being said however, I masked mine BEFORE I removed them from the car (area where the reverse light and turn signal are) .. reason for this is so that the paint edges line up exactly when the lights are back on the car. If you want this to come out right its definitely a place where you DONT want to rush. Make sure the surfaces of the lights are as clean as you can get them and oil/residue free. Use a tac cloth to keep dust and fuzzies off of them. Use good masking tape! Nothing sucks more than to have the paint run under the edge of the tape and find out after the whole deal is finished.

I used duplicolor metalcast when I did mine.. and it worked great but faded after 8-9 months or so. Now at just about year and a half they're getting a little orange round the edges. I recommend finding a good candy red two stage paint and some good clearcoat. Same stuff an autobody shop would use to paint the body surfaces. That way it wont fade on you forcing a re-do in the future (like what I've got to do). All in all.. I love the way they look painted vs overlays. They dont look dull like an overlay does/will and paint laid down properly in light coats doesn't care how the surface is shaped. No winkles, kinks or bubbles to worry about.

Here's how mine looked after they were finished

Here's during the process (clearcoat stage)

I didn't get any pics while I had them taped and doing the red portion... minor SD card failure and they disappeared.

Paint is the way to go but its not quick and its not easily reversible .. just things to keep in mind.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Couldn't imagine why you'd ever want to undo it. It looks a million times better. Any 2nd owner would agree, so I wouldn't worry about resale. The paint definitely does look better, but you clearly know what you're doing, mango.
    -Holden
    Bugeye wagon - ERZ Uppipe - TurboXS Axleback - Swift Springs - JNA Lip

growing up around the body shop buiz I should.. lol.. I just dont have squat for patience with body work.

Its not so much that you'd want to reverse it, but if it ever needs to be re-done (like mine do now) .. it'll be a bit intensive but still very doable. I'll have to wet sand mine down to get all the clear/color back off so I can re-do again with the proper paint. Going with a base/clear urethane designed for car use is a much better Idea than doing the rattle can thing.

It does look sooooo much better though, and a proper candy red will always look glassy transparent vs an overlay will have that cloudy look. I've seen overlays look spectacular when done right but that cloudiness they have just turns me off.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12