Thanks for the help..

This is a discussion on Thanks for the help.. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I had my code read for the check engine and as was suggested it came up Fuel cap. But I ...

BK3

Thanks for the help..

I had my code read for the check engine and as was suggested it came up Fuel cap. But I took it off and tightend it a few times and the check engine light will not go out. Any ideas? I was thinking of disconnecting the battery to see if that will maybe reset it, really not sure..Thanks again.
    Bobby

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If it actually is the fuel cap leaking, get a new one. Chances are (more realistically) you have an EVAP system leak if your gas cap was seated properly to begin with. Any large leak in the system that is similar to the gas cap being off will trigger a "gross leak in the evap system" code.

Even if you tightened your gas cap it may take a while for the light to go off. Disconnecting your batter will probably cause the light to go off, and if there is still a problem the light will come back on. If not, you're good to go.
    - Jacob

2002 WRX PSM Wagon
    Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs
    Borla XR-1 Catback Exhaust

BK3
    Thanks for the info, My friend just e-mailed me and the local dealer here is having Customer appreciation month next month and they will look over the cars for free. So I'm in for that.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you undo the battery and hold the brakes down for a minute it will clear the old CEL. This will also cause the ECU to reset losing any learning about A/F and knock correction it has done.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb