New to subbies, coming from DSM

This is a discussion on New to subbies, coming from DSM within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey whatsup guys, a buddy of mine has a 03 WRX and something about it just made me love it. ...

New to subbies, coming from DSM

Hey whatsup guys, a buddy of mine has a 03 WRX and something about it just made me love it. I currently own a DSM (99 GS-T) but after it sells Im gonna be looking into an 03-04 WRX. Anything major I need to know? Any info is appreciated im looking forward to getting involved in the community!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome. The best advice is once you get it forget basically everything you learned about how to modify your DSM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

What do you mean exactly =O

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Impreza_T00ner View Post
    What do you mean exactly =O
    They are very different cars. The mods appropriate to a DSM will simply not work, or be safe, or either for a WRX. In any case since you are in CA, do NOT buy a car without a smog certificate. Also, avoid a modified car anyway. Please see the how-to-buy threads in the purchasing forum for any/all info about what to look for in a used WRX.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Well yeah I mean the main things I look for when buying a used car, rust, fluids, mileage, close as possible to stock, and smog ready!!

What are some BPU's you guys would start out with..

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    A good start power wise would be a new uppipe, TBE, 3-port EBCS, and a custom tune. You could throw a good TMIC in there, and port and polished exhaust manifolds to squeeze a little more out of the tune, but beyond that you're looking at significant $$ and reduced reliability.

Ok I think you guys use some different terminology... Uppipe, would be Upper intercooler pipe? Or no?

TBE=?
    EBCS=?
    TMIC- Top mount intercooler?

I Support ClubWRX
    up pipe is a pipe coming from the manifold to the turbo, 2002-2005 wrx with 2.0 liter had a catalytic converter in that pipe.. Best mod hands down for power.

TBE=TURBO BACK EXHAUST
    EBCS= ELECTRONIC BOOST CONTROL SOLENOID
    TMIC= TOP MOUNT INTERCOOLER

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

So you guys dont use Manual Boost controllers?
    and im confused on what the stock intercooler location is, my friend said that top mount is stock on the WRX, was he wrong -_-?

I Support ClubWRX
    NO WE DO NOT use MBCs

stock intercooler on any turbo subaru is TMIC

So your just saying to upgrade the Top mount?

Also seems like everything you do to the car you need a tune... Exhaust.. Intake.. is this true?

The TMIC is stock on the WRX. Here's a diagram of air flow from the intake hood to the muffler, to clarify the intercooler as well as an earlier up pipe reference.

I was kinda late on the draw for the TMIC question, but I'll leave this up.
    2006 WRX Limited -Pro-tuned VF-39, STI TMIC, STI factory I/C Sprayer, Throttle body Coolant Bypass, STI Exhaust, SPT Short Ram Intake, SPT Upper Front and Rear Strut Bar, Red Samco Radiator Hoses, STI Trunk, SPT Short Shifter, Aftermarket Rotors, Lamco Turbo Gauge, Catless Downpipe, Hella Supertones, RallyArmor Limited Edition Pink UR Flaps, 35% Tint, Grounding Mod, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, SPT Heat Shield STI Piston Shift Knob!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #430

I Support ClubWRX

Also seems like everything you do to the car you need a tune... Exhaust.. Intake.. is this true?
    basically.. We usually do things in stages because of that very reason.. I suggest finding a tuner that you like and has a good subaru reputation. You can easily go stage 2 without replacing the TMIC. Stage 2 consists of Up pipe, downpipe, cat back.. Some like to also throw in the EBCS.. If you want to be a little bit on the plus side of things you can do a TMIC, injectors, UP, DP, CBE, EBCS and the custom tune, that way your only saving up at that point for a bigger turbo

I Support ClubWRX
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Not everything, but anything that will make a significant difference to how the car runs. Besides, more aggressive tuning is where all the power comes from anyways.. upgrading parts basically just makes it easier/safer to run more aggressive tuning, which in turn makes more power.

I personally wouldn't go away from the top mount until you've got a 20g or larger turbo.. and I had my entire engine built and blueprinted before I did that.