New to forum; Need a lot of advice about 2011 WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to forum; Need a lot of advice about 2011 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, Everyone on this forum is really helpful, so I thought I'd pose a few questions. I've searched a ...

New to forum; Need a lot of advice about 2011 WRX

Hey all,

Everyone on this forum is really helpful, so I thought I'd pose a few questions. I've searched a lot on here, but can't really find help about my specific situation. I know this thread should be in the car-buying forum, but I'm new to the forum and wanted to put it here.

I've never had a new car, a manual trans, all-wheel drive, a Subaru, or a turbo. I want to finally treat myself to the Base model WRX sedan, but I have a lot of nervousness about the process:

- I know a little stick (stall once in a while, but not good by any means). Will the salesman give me crap about wanting to test drive the 2011? Will they be patient? How should I handle this situation?

- I'm planning on putting down close to half, and I have excellent credit. What kind of interest rate can I expect from the dealer?

- 99% of the people on here love their 2011 WRXs (as well they should), but does anyone have any regrets about the process? Is there something they wish they did differently?

Appreciate any help you guys have to offer. Thanks -- JA

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyAmbush View Post
    Hey all,

Everyone on this forum is really helpful, so I thought I'd pose a few questions. I've searched a lot on here, but can't really find help about my specific situation. I know this thread should be in the car-buying forum, but I'm new to the forum and wanted to put it here.

I've never had a new car, a manual trans, all-wheel drive, a Subaru, or a turbo. I want to finally treat myself to the Base model WRX sedan, but I have a lot of nervousness about the process:

- I know a little stick (stall once in a while, but not good by any means). Will the salesman give me crap about wanting to test drive the 2011? Will they be patient? How should I handle this situation?
    If he wants to sell you the car.. he'll let you drive it. If not, find another dealer to go through. Stalling is better than revs/slipping.. I've been driving stick for 18 years and stalled the wrx on the test drive. These cars have a odd bite point.. but Again, if the sales guy holds it against you.. find another dealer.
    - I'm planning on putting down close to half, and I have excellent credit. What kind of interest rate can I expect from the dealer?
    Best to get your finances in line before you even go to the dealer. See what your bank will do for you or if you're part of a credit union try that. Interest rate with what you want to do should be really good.. but even if its average, putting half down will keep your payment very reasonable.
    - 99% of the people on here love their 2011 WRXs (as well they should), but does anyone have any regrets about the process? Is there something they wish they did differently?
    I dont own a 11, I have a 10.. however the process is still the same and I love the car. I dont regret selling a 400hp rwd beast and trading my boring daily to get this car. So far I'd say its been the most pleasing automotive experience I've had to date. As for process of buying the car? .. well that will depend on dealer and sales staff. I went to a local dealer and they were very good to me. Which is part of the reason I still go back for services even though I can do them myself.

Oh.. and Welcome!
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    I want to finally treat myself to the Base model WRX sedan, but I have a lot of nervousness about the process:

No worries - you are the one giving them money - enjoy and control the process.

Don't sweat it. You won't be the first or last driver they will have who is new to a manual trans. If you have any experience with it you will be fine - better than many others I'm sure they've sat next to!

SOA seems to have deals on interest rates at some point each year so be sure to see what is currently offered, but as was said ny Mangostick - research your options before you walk into the dealer so you know where things stand.

Love the car (I have an '11), love the performance, and I understood the compromises when I bought it (average MPG, econobox interior, etc) Think carefully about options for the car, as it is cheaper to get them installed on order than later on. My only regret - and I still waffle on it - was not getting the SPT exhaust as it sounds great ... but I also like keeping as low a profile as possible and it doesn't add any performance, just ego satisfaction ... which has its merits.

Find a price you are comfortable with and a dealership who treat you well. Don't be afraid to walk out.

Good luck!
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    My GF hardly knew how to drive stick when she bought her 6spd MS3. As Shawn mentioned... the sales guy only cares about making the sale. Make it a point that you absolutely must drive the car if you wish to purchase. 99% of the time, the sales guy will slap the dealer plate on the car and you'll be off test driving the car in no time.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    1.9% Financing

1.9% Financing on All 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX Models

Offer Ends October 3, 2011
    Ferrari F430/BMW X5 M/Need a Hot hatch!!!!!

I've been driving a manual for the last 6 years, and I stalled the WRX on the test drive as well. I'm confident that everyone else is correct, the salesman shouldn't mind. If he does, then I'm sure that you can find another salesman that will be better.

As indicated by F430, Subaru will generally offer 1.9% for 3 year loans, and 2.9 for 4-6 year loans. Although the current offer expires 10/3, that same offer was supposed to expire at the first of september (they keep extending that offer). You should definitely shop around prior to heading into the dealership though, however I doubt you will find a better rate than that. Since you will likely be getting that good rate, just make sure that you know your exact credit score, and exactly how much you want to pay prior to starting the haggling process.

I bought my 11 in August, and I ended up paying about $700 above invoice ($1500 under MSRP). I paid a bit more knowing that there was no supply left in my area, and orders had been stopped. In hindsight I wish I had been more aggressive to get the car at invoice as I feel my dealer would have done it. Due to supply though, the price is going to vary by each dealer.

Other than that, I only regret not waiting for the color I really wanted. I got the short throw shifter, armrest extension, SPT exhaust, SPT trunk trim, and the STI shift knob. I like all of them and would have gotten them all again.

I Support ClubWRX
    - I know a little stick (stall once in a while, but not good by any means). Will the salesman give me crap about wanting to test drive the 2011? Will they be patient?
    They don't want the car. They want the money. Since you have the money, you are in a position of power. Keep that in mind.

Nobody cares. Do not finance from the dealer. Do not visit a dealer without your own financing in place. Visit a credit union first, then another, then a third; after that, visit banks. In case I have been vague, do not go to the dealer without your own financing in place.

If the dealer can beat your pre-existing financing, it may be worth your while to discuss it.

Do not discuss payment options, financing, checks, cash, trade ins, or anything else before settling on the out-the-door final price. Fix the final price first. Then deal with one thing at a time.

Should the salesperson have to "clear something with their manager" and offer to "try to go to bat for you" tell them thanks but that's OK, if the manager is too busy to speak to you at that moment you could come back another time.

If you cannot agree on a fair final price, leave them your card and tell them to ring you once they have made corrections.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

^Nice reply, that well help me a lot when the time comes. Thanks!

Sent from tapatalk.
    2011 Base WRX

I was in the same boat as you. My 2011 WRX was my first manual, first AWD, first turbo, first new car etc. I had little experience driving stick before I went to the dealer. I just wanted to be able to limp through test drive. My dealership was very cool. Stalled it a couple times on the test drive and even slipped and revved it high once. No biggie. Put a deposit down for a base model they had coming in. Got it about 7 weeks later. It has taken me about 1,000 miles to really get comfortable with it but I'm loving it now! Just jump in!!

Very helpful posts, guys. Thanks.

I sucked it up and actually just got back from test driving the 2011 base sedan WRX. Didn't stall once thankfully, but revved it a few times. The car had 3 miles on it, and the salesman was definitely concerned (he was nervously silent the whole time... I guess that's one way to shut a salesman up!), but he was alright for the most part. The car is obviously awesome, but it was hard to fully appreciate it while trying to focus on using the stick.

Lastly, it was the white sedan, which is last on my choice list. I just wanted to get the test drive under my belt. My top 3 colors are 1. Dark Grey, 2. Silver, and 3. Black.

•*•*•

I'd like to address a few of your posts:

- SD_GR, thanks for the financing advice. Heh you were definitely not vague. I've been shopping around – banks, credit unions, etc. – and no one can beat the 2.9% that Subaru is currently offering. However, I definitely understand the importance of settling the selling price before discussing monthly payments with the salesman. Great advice.. I'll keep it in mind for sure.

- SpekN9ne, I actually PMed you asking a few questions about your experience. I was on the fence about the whole thing until I read the post you put up a few weeks ago. Congrats on the purchase.. hopefully I'll join the newb club with you.

- BigDaddyRex, where are you from in NJ?

Again, thanks for all of the help. -- JA

Glad to hear it went good. Hard part is over, now just hand over your check book and enjoy!

- BigDaddyRex, where are you from in NJ?
    Flemington area - actually bought it from the dealer here as well.
    - Chris

Haha that's where I test drove.. I live in Bedminster. I dealt with a guy named Bob Gleissler or something like that. Have you been back there for any servicing? How have they treated you?

Haha that's where I test drove.. I live in Bedminster. I dealt with a guy named Bob Gleissler or something like that. Have you been back there for any servicing? How have they treated you?

I dealt with their Internet guy Alex Leist, as did a friend. He was meh as a salesman, but was upfront and fair when it came to pricing. I ordered mine as there were none on the lot for a long stretch, and got it for below the dealers price. You can haggle with him a bit, but he will likely start you off with a fair enough price. I gathered offers from other dealers (Liberty, Fred Beans, etc. and used them when I negotiated - telling him I'd rather stay local if he made it worth my while.

Since then I've been in for two oil changes and they have been easy to deal with. I don't know how mod friendly they are - I asked about Stage 1 and they quickly told me that it could lead to claims being denied - not that I let that stop me, of course.

Let me know of I can help in any way. DGM all the way!
    - Chris

Another consideration when choosing who to finance with is the dealer may get an incentive if you use their finance company, which means they may be willing to go even lower on the purchase price because they're making up the money elsewhere. There's lots of other good advice in this thread.

At the end of the day, the more you go back and forth, the lower the price usually gets. I paid $1000 under invoice on my STI after probably 10 back and forths.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.