2011 wrx (Stock) VS. 2011 wrx (Stage 1) Advantages and Disadvantages

This is a discussion on 2011 wrx (Stock) VS. 2011 wrx (Stage 1) Advantages and Disadvantages within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Im new to Subaru world and i have a 2011 wrx. I know the Stage 1 is the accessport but ...

2011 wrx (Stock) VS. 2011 wrx (Stage 1) Advantages and Disadvantages

Im new to Subaru world and i have a 2011 wrx. I know the Stage 1 is the accessport but i just want to know what the ad/disadvantages of having it.Im just planning on with the accessport and cobb intake w/airbox. I know once you put aftermarket parts for it, you will void the warranty and my warranty is 3 years. I've had it about 9 months now. Is it really worth it? has anyone ever regret and end up going to the shop with no warranty?I really dont want to wait that long. I need more sources from everyone or experiences, Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You won't "void" it but you could run the risk of having potential warranty claims denied.. just FYI :]

I did a stage 1 flash with the AP and absolutely love it.. but just remember, sometimes you pay to play.
    Clark Tuned | Cobb SRI, DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | STi Group-N Engine Mounts | Plate Relocation | KB F+R Endlinks, Pitch Stop, Shift Knob, F+R Shift Bushings | Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear, Gearbox +Shift | PST Carbon Driveshaft | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | Yakima Roof Rack + Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    In the end a lot of it comes down to the dealer when warranty issues come up. Some are more willing to work with you than others are. In most cases the AP Stage 1 tune is pretty gentle on the car - maybe even a better fit than the stock tune, so the tune is not likely (never say never) to cause any issues. The more you mod, the bigger the risks.

For me, Stage 1 is a very nice improvement on a daily driver - smooths things out and gives the old but dyno a nice kick as it climbs to redline. I won't regret it ... and I won't complain if SOA voids something that was related to my mod choice. As Stu said - pay to play.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

the other disadvantage to stage 1 will probably be a desire to go stage 2......

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^ ROFL, it's like repelling over a cliff with a butter rope...
    Clark Tuned | Cobb SRI, DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | STi Group-N Engine Mounts | Plate Relocation | KB F+R Endlinks, Pitch Stop, Shift Knob, F+R Shift Bushings | Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear, Gearbox +Shift | PST Carbon Driveshaft | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | Yakima Roof Rack + Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr View Post
    the other disadvantage to stage 1 will probably be a desire to go stage 2......
    this is the biggest issue I have run into so far.To do or not to do.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Registered User EVO_KILLER_2008's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    In all honesty, the wrx is pretty bad @$$, just think your lucky stars that your didnt buy a 2008 wrx.. Im not only wanting to get the AP STAGE1 but finding that im going to have to in order to keep up with my buddy's and their late model wrx, larger turbo's are hard to compete with.. I say do it and while your at it start looking into a down pipe and maybe an up pipe too..

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EVO_KILLER_2008
    In all honesty, the wrx is pretty bad @$$, just think your lucky stars that your didnt buy a 2008 wrx.. Im not only wanting to get the AP STAGE1 but finding that im going to have to in order to keep up with my buddy's and their late model wrx, larger turbo's are hard to compete with.. I say do it and while your at it start looking into a down pipe and maybe an up pipe too..
    If you're only using a base map like the ones Cobb offers, an uppipe is a complete waste of money.

Unless you're going EWG / turbo swap (both of which should have a custom tune), an uppipe is not worth the effort - spend your money elsewhere.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    stage 1 is in my opinion how they should come from the factory. Im not sure Id even bother doing an up-pipe with a turbo swap.. Maybe if you were going with a big turbo but oh well Im weird..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Yea I agree stage 1 is pretty safe. I went stage 1 about 2weeks now almost 3 and glad I did it. I went opensoure instead of AP. Stage 1 definatly smoothes everything out. More HP, better throttle response is the biggest difference and slightly better MPG, you won't be dissapointed except wanting more HP
    ~Dan~ 2011 WRX Limited Stage 2 TP Stinkeye Mob #93