im new to subies... is this a good buy?

This is a discussion on im new to subies... is this a good buy? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i need an awd car for snow season and im deciding between either a 2002 wrx and a 2006 lexus ...

im new to subies... is this a good buy?

i need an awd car for snow season and im deciding between either a 2002 wrx and a 2006 lexus gs350 awd.
    the subie is fully modded with 103xxx but only 40k on the new engine.
    tha lexus is 70xxx and over double the price at 20,000. idk which one to choose. reason being is it good to buy a car thats already modded?

heres the info
    i talked him to down and now getting it at 9k due to the rust issue and minor scrathes thru out

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX with a monster tune.

Upgrades include: 2.5 block at 68,000 miles, STI red intake manifold, Koyo radiator, Perrin front mounted intercooler, Greddy oil cooling system, Perrin fuel rail system with steal braded lines, Perrin manual boost control, Walbro fuel pump, HKS atmospheric blow off valve, Perrin under driven pulley system with lightened crank pulley, Coswrth Kevlar Timing belt, Perrin headers and up pipe, Cobb down pipe, HKS 3" intermediate pipe, HKS 4" exhaust/muffler, Spec stage 3+ clutch, Kartboy short shifter with bushings, Greddy counter weight shift knob, Drive pro oversized axles, Tein adjustable Super Street coil over suspension, Kartboy end links, Cusco sway bars, Cusco front strut tower brace, Perrin front mounts, EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads, Maddad full sweep boost/vacuum gauge with black out feature and carbon fiber pod, HKS turbo timer, Scanmaster 3, Clifford Alarm System, normal minimal rear tire well PA rust, very clean

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    That may be a very nice Impreza but it would not be my first Impreza. Whether it ends up being your first Impreza is up to you of course but I would have it looked over by an independent mechanic first.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ok sounds good and is there anything major to look for? i saw it and checked it over today as im a mechanic for lexus but with these cars im kinda lost. i didnt see any major issues in the engine bay like oil leaks or coolant and everything looked new except some minor rust on some parts

heres the lexus not exact one but very close DSC 0714 - YouTube
    and heres the subie

what would you guys recommend?sub or lex (based on ur opinion of the mods and such with that wrx)

I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't spend 9k on that subaru.. I wouldn't spend 20k on a Toyota either..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

any reason y TOrque?

I Support ClubWRX
    I would not buy a modified WRX. You have no guarantee how the car was driven, and modifications never add to the value of the car (usually lower it, actually). You could be getting yourself into a world of pain and agony in repairs/troubleshooting.

Since you mentioned a $20k Lexus, I'm going to assume a $20k budget. You can find stock 2006-2007 WRXs in the 16-17k range, and usually 2004-2005 STIs for that, so I'd look in that range. Check out the car ad threads on here. I found my 2003 WRX on AutoTrader.

Here's a pretty comprehensive checklist for everything to look for in a used WRX. As you're a mechanic, it shouldn't be hard to inspect, you just need to know what to look for.

Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    I have a huge hatred towards toyota..

The 02 isnt worth 9 Grand.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC