Newbie with a few questions for those in the know.

This is a discussion on Newbie with a few questions for those in the know. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just bought a 03 WRX (not an STI) just wondering a few things. I believe it is stock as ...

BK3

Newbie with a few questions for those in the know.

I just bought a 03 WRX (not an STI) just wondering a few things. I believe it is stock as of now, what is the best sounding muffler for it. Also is it ok to run the K&N filter in it. I heard some things about some turbo cars dont do well with the oil in the K&N filters, it meeses up the mass air flow. One last one what type of oil should I run in it, Synthetic? Thanks for any info and help.
    Bobby

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BK3 View Post
    I believe it is stock as of now, what is the best sounding muffler for it.
    Tastes vary. Go to a meet and listen. My fav is a Stromung but I like money more than I like mufflers so I kept the stock muffler on the car.

Also is it ok to run the K&N filter in it.
    On your car, sure; I'd never run one on mine though. I doubt it filters better than a paper OEM filter, and I strongly dislike the oiling process and the potential to mess up the MAF and/or allow more silicon than absolutely necessary into the motor. I therefore use the correct filter specified, not a fancy oiled filter. If I owned your car, I'd still use the correct paper filter specified...

One last one what type of oil should I run in it, Synthetic? Thanks for any info and help.
    Bobby
    There are several oil threads, look around, but have an eye out for hype and unsubstantiated claims. Look in the owner's manual for the oil specs, and pick an oil that meets those specs exactly. I happen to use Shell 5W-40 but there are numerous other choices.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the Club Bobby!

Great exhaust sound is in the ear of the beholder. There is no substitute for hearing as many as you can in person.

Simply put, K&Ns do not filter as well as an OEM paper filter. Some time ago I happened across an article that was a real eye opener. At the time I was using a K&N - I quickly switched back to OEM after that. I'll see if I can dig the article up ...

I seriously doubt there is any significant measurable power to be had from a K&N in a WRX.

A catless up pipe is highly recommended. The OEM up pipe's catalyst has been known to break into pieces, sending fragments into the turbo. This is bad.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 09-23-2011 at 05:44 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

BK3
    Thanks for the quick and informational post, I really think I am going to like this site.... Alot..

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BK3 View Post
    Thanks for the quick and informational post, I really think I am going to like this site.... Alot..
    You are quite welcome - enjoy the time here.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics