On the fence
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on On the fence within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I really like the STI after driving it yesterday, but also really like the 135i. Money is not a factor, ...

I Support ClubWRX

On the fence

I really like the STI after driving it yesterday, but also really like the 135i. Money is not a factor, so it is just preference.

The 135i felt like it had a bunch more omph. I like the look of the STI 5 door better. The six speed in the STI really has a short first gear you got to be fast into second to not loose momentum.

Anyway just rambling........Steve
    Ferrari F430/BMW X5 M/Need a Hot hatch!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The STI can be modified to make it faster if performance is the issue.Plus it comes with storage space & 4 doors.I will agree to the first to second gear issue.But that can be remedied somewhat with a short shifter.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have more specific criterion that you're hoping to get a comparison on or do you want generalized feedback?

I also looked at the 135i but opted for the Subaru. I personally wanted a 4 door vehicle and an AWD platform.
    My Build | Facebook | I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times

Where do you live? I'm in Ohio so RWD was not an option for me. I also like the utility of the hatchback.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i havent driven the 135i, but i drove a 335i and absolutely loved it so im sure the 135 feels even better.

drive both again and make your choice. i'd personally go with the bmtroubleyou. lol

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    The car I drove had the short shifter so I am sure that helps. I am just in the mood for a fun fast car that is different. I have no doubt as to the tunability of the STI there is fantastic after market support.

Like I said earlier, the 5 Door STI in WR BLUE MICA looks killer to me and AWD is a real plus in Iowa winter.

So I think it comes down to the character of the car. Both of them are unique in thier own way.

I think I am noodling out loud just because I can and sometimes having a choice is just as hard as not having one in its own perverted way......Steve

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Where do you live? I'm in Ohio so RWD was not an option for me. I also like the utility of the hatchback.
    I live in the middle of Iowa. If you have dedicated snow tires I find that RWD works fine. I had an 08 M3 as my DD for a year and it worked great in the winter with snows when I lived in Minnesota.......Steve

I Support ClubWRX
    I would go Subaru just because I am unconvinced of current BMW reliability. Both are interesting cars. The 1 series is probably more interesting with the big motor but I don't think I'd be in the mood for quirks.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I just found this link in another thread on the 2012 STI and this is the exact car I want: 2012 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD Limited 4dr Wagon 5M 2.5L Turbo H4 265hp 244ft. lbs. 5-Speed Manual

I really want the 5 door but want the sun roof and all leather. Need to call dealer and see when I can order it........Steve

I Support ClubWRX
    That is a limited WRX.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    That's a WRX though. I'd go for the 6spd gearbox and brakes of the STi personally. Consider it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Man I am a real NOOB when it comes to Subaru........Wonder why there is no Limited STI 5 Door offered..........Thanks for your help.........Steve

I was looking at almost the same cars before I went with another STI. It's the only car I've ever bought twice (other than a 911, but a C4 and a Turbo are not the same cars.). I was looking at the 335 or an M3 but I really need AWD living in the mountains, plus with the thin air here the 335 felt just as fast as an M3 (drove them back to back).

Money isn't an issue for me either, but they came out with the STI Limited (I have a 4 door) and that made up my mind. The car is just as fast, better AWD system than BMW, leather, heated seats, sunroof and is much cheaper to mod than a BMW. Personally none of my cars ever remain stock so it was an easy choice. I'm not very far into modding my STI but I don't regret buying another one. They made huge improvements in the suspension of the 2011 and I'm struggling to think of what I'm going to mod in the suspension. It'll definitely go stage 1 at some point. Stage 2 isn't much better than stage 1, unlike previous STI's, because the car now has a much higher flow cat than previous models.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I was looking at almost the same cars before I went with another STI. It's the only car I've ever bought twice (other than a 911, but a C4 and a Turbo are not the same cars.). I was looking at the 335 or an M3 but I really need AWD living in the mountains, plus with the thin air here the 335 felt just as fast as an M3 (drove them back to back).

Money isn't an issue for me either, but they came out with the STI Limited (I have a 4 door) and that made up my mind. The car is just as fast, better AWD system than BMW, leather, heated seats, sunroof and is much cheaper to mod than a BMW. Personally none of my cars ever remain stock so it was an easy choice. I'm not very far into modding my STI but I don't regret buying another one. They made huge improvements in the suspension of the 2011 and I'm struggling to think of what I'm going to mod in the suspension. It'll definitely go stage 1 at some point. Stage 2 isn't much better than stage 1, unlike previous STI's, because the car now has a much higher flow cat than previous models.
    I really appreciate your experience and insight. I Agree that the C4 and Turbo are not at all the same car.

I like the look of the 4 door and it is not a deal breaker for me, I just wish I could get the STI 5 Door as a Limited.

I have always admired the WRX from a distance and think it is a great car.

So I think I just need to decide if I can live without the few extra perks the Limited offers and get the 5 Door or will the 4 door grow on me.......Thanks again for your help.......Steve

Not sure how the 135i's are but my sister had a 2010 335i and I loved it, but after 4months and having soo many issues with it, that BMW knew existed and fixed she traded it in for Audi. I know money isn't a factor but I read alot of the 335i's an 135i's having some issue and IMHO i do think the 135's are too small, good luck shopping.
    ~Dan~ 2011 WRX Limited Stage 2 TP Stinkeye Mob #93

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast