Second Gear Is Driving Me Nuts!!!

This is a discussion on Second Gear Is Driving Me Nuts!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I cannot get a smooth shift from first to second under power. It is starting to drive me crazy. I ...

Second Gear Is Driving Me Nuts!!!

I cannot get a smooth shift from first to second under power. It is starting to drive me crazy. I can make it go fast, but it is anything but smooth. Every other shift, up or down, is golden. First to second, she falls on her face and I cringe thinking about what is happening to her transmission. I feel like I can't drive my car, and I feel like a damn idiot when she lunges into second.

Any pointers out there? RPMs? Throttle? Clutch? I have to slip it into second in order to go smooth, and that's not fast. HELP!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

as you're engaging the clutch(letting off the pedal) give it a tiny bit of throttle
    also 2nd is quite a bit longer than 1st so(not sure how you usually shift but i like to shift close to 3k) i find if i take first to about 3250rpm it'll shift smoother and easier than if i shift at 2750rpm and you'll be in a nicer spot in the power band

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

Thanks, man. I think I've probably been asking a little too much out of first. The power kicks in and the rpms come pretty quickly. I have definitely been feathering the throttle to get a smoother shift with mixed results at best. It's a much more tempermental transmission than I'm used to. 2nd definitely doesn't like lower rpms, and it doesn't like 'em too high either. If I hadn't had a couple of drinks watching football I would go practice in her right now. I hate the missed shifts. Thanks for your help. I'm gonna look for that sweet spot next time I take her for a spin.