Learning the Way of the WRX - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Learning the Way of the WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; If you're just starting out, then just slip the clutch for a little longer and you'll get smoother. You're not ...

If you're just starting out, then just slip the clutch for a little longer and you'll get smoother. You're not going to kill the clutch from a one second duration slip. Especially at low rpm's (2,000 is nice).
    I've been driving MT's for 20 years and when I'm driving with passengers in the car, I still slip the clutch a little longer. For one, the extra weight makes a difference on a light car like this with low torque. And passengers generally don't appreciate being tossed around with rapid launches.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Are you hot? If so we demand pics...
    LOL, Down, boy!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Haha!
    My Build | Facebook | I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times

I dont know about the youngies here but pratcie down shifting as well!! this will save on the brakes and get you used to the low gears and rpms for your car. There's time for driving and time for racing if you know how to drive a WRX
    STAGE 1 IS MORE FUN BUT STAGE 2 THERE'S MORE TO DO

I wouldn't go crazy with the down shifting. Brake pads are way cheaper than clutch repair, as I found the hard way with a previous car. It's good to down shift to the gear you want to be in when you exit the turn, but you should mostly be using the brakes to slow the car. Brake fade isn't an issue for most situations, even if you drive aggressively.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwinf0f1 View Post
    I wouldn't go crazy with the down shifting. Brake pads are way cheaper than clutch repair, as I found the hard way with a previous car. It's good to down shift to the gear you want to be in when you exit the turn, but you should mostly be using the brakes to slow the car. Brake fade isn't an issue for most situations, even if you drive aggressively.
    Yeah definitely. You shouldn't use downshifting unless you absolutely have to like for slowing in slippery conditions. The only other time to use it is if you're driving aggressively for fun and want the power there when you go through a turn. Otherwise just use your brakes and save your clutch. $100 for new brake pads is a lot cheaper than $1000 for a new clutch.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Downshifting is not hard on the clutch if you know your rpms for each gear. That was my point for her to get used to each gear to learn her car!!! It's better than riding the clutch in fourth gear comming up to a stop sign.
    STAGE 1 IS MORE FUN BUT STAGE 2 THERE'S MORE TO DO

I'm also interested in any shifting tips for the WRX...I picked mine up recently, and even with experience driving an MT, this one has a pretty abrupt engagement point...haven't stalled yet though.

So you recommend on stop to first, to just use the clutch and no gas? Seems like it would be an easy way to stall, especially if you need to go right away.

I've been slipping the clutch probably longer than I should...are most of you just doing very fast shifts?

Downshifting isnt bad as long as your revmatching...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Quote Originally Posted by CandyCandice View Post
    Hi guys, so ive been driving my sexy blue 2011 wrx for about a week. And I know this is going to make a lot of the guys cringe, but this was the first stick ive ever driven/learned and after about 50 stalls and unintentional abuse i actually can drive somewhat normal within about 3 days! Not too bad for a girl i guess..

Anyways, i find that my shifting is still not super smooth. To begin with from stop to 1st. I still get a jerk forward...might be because im reving too high? And sometimes theres a little jerk shifting from 2-3, 3-4, etc. My friend told me that i was probably letting the clutch out too quickly and that I'll get better in time. Am i doing any excessive damage to my car? And any tips specific to the wrx?

thanks,
    Candice
    I just got my car about a week ago and pretty much learned how to drive stick on it too. I was the same way with the starts and not shifting smoooth AT ALL lol, but as you drive it more you'll get the feel for it.. you just have to find that point where th clutch just barely engages then back off it like a quarter inch and when youre ready to go just take it easy. Do the same on the hills that way you can get the revs up a lil with out sliping the clutch to much and while still using the hill holder to your advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    You should be able to get the car into 1st gear every time without touching the gas after a little practice.
    This is one of the lessons I taught my cousin while he was learning. A lot of people thinks its impossible to do this but I've never NOT been able to do it. It really is a good "clutch-foot-leg-harmony" lesson.
    2011 Plasma Blue STi 5-door

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberfire View Post
    I'm also interested in any shifting tips for the WRX...I picked mine up recently, and even with experience driving an MT, this one has a pretty abrupt engagement point...haven't stalled yet though.

So you recommend on stop to first, to just use the clutch and no gas? Seems like it would be an easy way to stall, especially if you need to go right away.

I've been slipping the clutch probably longer than I should...are most of you just doing very fast shifts?
    Well this is my fourth manual transmission car and by far the easiest to drive of them all. I've had two six speeds and two five speeds. Now my "review/advice" is biased as I have the STS installed from the factory. The clutch no gas takeoff is more of a learning lesson that actual day to day driving lesson, it'll teach you where in your liftoff the clutch is starting to engage and allow you to get a better feel for JUST the clutch as opposed to trying to learn clutch and gas at the same time. Then you take that experience and can build upon it to learn how little gas you need to smoothly take off from a stop light.
    2011 Plasma Blue STi 5-door

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwinf0f1 View Post
    This is interesting... I've got less than a week on my 2011 and I just read the manual cover to cover on Sunday... they recommend downshifting regularly no less than three times at various places in the manual. I had always heard that line about brake pads being cheaper than clutch repair and so didn't down shift that often to slow the car but I've already started to change my driving habits based on what the manufacturer recommends!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.