2011 WRX STI 5-Door

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX STI 5-Door within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Literally just got home an hour ago and parked it in the garage for the first time. I'm all stupid ...

2011 WRX STI 5-Door

Literally just got home an hour ago and parked it in the garage for the first time.

I'm all stupid silly happy...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	contentmediaexternalimagesmedia3.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	99349

So I think my first major purchase will be a set of winter wheels and tires.
    In the spring I'll probly do an exhaust system. From what I just read about
    the other new owners an upgrade to the stereo definitely will happen too.

Does anyone get all crazy about putting an alarm system in their car?
    A long long time ago I had a Viper (whatever) that could do it all, roll down windows, remote start etc.
    Do people still buy/install these things???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Love that color! Congrats on the purchase. I haven't heard much on alarms but you've got the other details pretty much pegged. The factory radio is terrible.. It was the first thing I changed out in my 2010.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.Yes winter tires is a good idea.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Welcome

I wouldn't bother with the alarm. These days if somebody is going to steal your car an alarm is useless. Anybody that's going to try and steal a late model car is going to know how to get around it.

Great idea to start with winter tires and wheels. Time to visit tirerack.com!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I have been looking a lot at winter tire/wheel combos. I see tirerack does indeed have a lot of choices and its nice to have a set mounted and balanced and sent to your door.

I've not been able to find a solid answer as to whether 17" wheels fit on 2011 STi's??? It would seem that the older style STi "gold" wheels in 17" would be a nice cheap set of wheels and tires a bit less expensive too...however I see some ppl say that they do fit and others say 18's only.

I do know the STi is 5x114 bolt pattern.

17" will fit. You just can't use wheels from an '04 STi since those are 5x100.

I just wonder why you'd want to go down to a 17"? I debated it with my STI just because of price, but at the end of the day, it's not that much more for an 18" rim or tire or combo.

On my old STi (an '04) I stuck with 17" for winter because that size just looked right on the car. On the newer ones, especially an 2011, I'd stick with 18" because it just fits the car much better in the looks department.
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

Well thats certainly a good point, if I can find a set of 18's for a reasonable price I'd certainly entertain that option. I've seen lots of (1) each wheels on ebay, used, slightly curb rashed for $50-$100 a piece. If I can piece together a set of 4 for $400 I'm in good shape. I figure I'm getting a better quality product at a lower price while all I'm sacrificing is pristine/brand-new which I don't care about anyway because they're going to get salted and snowed on and basically trashed for 3 months anyway.

I'm still reading as much as I can everyday on here and some of the other WRX forums to try and carefully craft a plan. That way, HOPEFULLY, I only have to spend my hard earned dollars on the "correct" mods and aftermarket parts ONCE.
    2011 Plasma Blue STi 5-door

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    17" will fit. You just can't use wheels from an '04 STi since those are 5x100.

I just wonder why you'd want to go down to a 17"? I debated it with my STI just because of price, but at the end of the day, it's not that much more for an 18" rim or tire or combo.

On my old STi (an '04) I stuck with 17" for winter because that size just looked right on the car. On the newer ones, especially an 2011, I'd stick with 18" because it just fits the car much better in the looks department.
    Price and performance in the snow. From tirerack.com referring to minus 1 sizing for winter tires & wheels "...not only would snow traction be enhanced, but the cost of a Base Model or Minus Size winter tire & wheel package is usually lower than a package maintaining your vehicle's original size tires and wheels."

I'm planning on going with 17" for winter wheels when my STI arrives in a few days. I have a job where I have to go in no matter how bad the weather is, and even though we don't get a lot of bad storms I want the additional peace of mind. The cheaper aspect is nice too.

I Support ClubWRX
    Congratulations........I really love the 5 Door, it looks killer......Have fun and get some good snows, you will have a great time in the snow.......Steve
    Ferrari F430/BMW X5 M/Need a Hot hatch!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SnoopyTRB View Post
    Price and performance in the snow. From tirerack.com referring to minus 1 sizing for winter tires & wheels "...not only would snow traction be enhanced, but the cost of a Base Model or Minus Size winter tire & wheel package is usually lower than a package maintaining your vehicle's original size tires and wheels."

I'm planning on going with 17" for winter wheels when my STI arrives in a few days. I have a job where I have to go in no matter how bad the weather is, and even though we don't get a lot of bad storms I want the additional peace of mind. The cheaper aspect is nice too.
    I guess I can see the price having a bit to do with it, but at the end of the day, it's about $250 more to do the 18" versus the 17". Since you're already spending $1400 or so minimum for the 17" package, I just don't see why you wouldn't spend a little bit extra to get a wheel that looks a lot better on the car. You'll be driving with your snow tires on about 6 months a year, and you'll get probably 3 seasons from those tires. So that means you're paying about $14 extra a month to have the nicer wheels on the car, and wheels are pretty much the biggest appearance option you have. And if you keep the car past 3 years, then the price per month just keeps getting cheaper. I went through this debate a lot in my head when I bought mine, and I was short of cash at the time, but the 18's won out in the end because they just look so much better.

I also don't understand why snow traction is better with a 17" wheel versus 18" per what you quoted from tirerack above. The tire has the same tread pattern and the same basic contact patch. The 18" is slightly wider if you go with the recommended size, but not really enough to make a difference. The standard advice is always "taller and thinner will cut through the snow and give you better traction" but honestly I don't always agree with that. First of all, most roads are pretty well plowed these days so you're going to be driving on packed snow, and I'd rather have a bigger contact patch in that case (within reason). Also, a lot of times when you're cutting down through snow you're ending up on packed, icy snow underneath, and you get better traction if your tires are on the fresh snow on top, which bonds much better to snow underneath than does your rubber tire. But that's just my .02.
    Scott

Welcome to the forum and to the subi family! Absolutely love the color man. Don't know if you or anyone else has heard this but my friend was just at my local dealer picking up a new wrx and while talking to the salesman the guy told him that the plasma blue is going to become a limited addition color now since apparently they lost almost all of the paint to the tsunami. Now im not so sure how accurate that information is because i am pretty sure they can just mix up another batch but if its true you're lucky to have that color and enjoy it dude that would have been my choice if i could have gotten it on the wrx or if i could have afforded the sti!
    Stink-Eye Mob #333
    2011 Lightning Red WRX
    Stage 2+ 93

Well my anecdotal evidence is that of the 6 Cleveland area dealers while I was looking only had one 5-door and one 4-door in Plasma Blue. The hot color seems to be gray of which there were multiple available, second would probably be a toss up between white and Blue Mica.

I personally have yet to see a Plasma Blue on the road anywhere here in this area, STI or WRX.

Does anyone know the production numbers of these cars??
    2011 Plasma Blue STi 5-door

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatic11 View Post
    Well my anecdotal evidence is that of the 6 Cleveland area dealers while I was looking only had one 5-door and one 4-door in Plasma Blue. The hot color seems to be gray of which there were multiple available, second would probably be a toss up between white and Blue Mica.

I personally have yet to see a Plasma Blue on the road anywhere here in this area, STI or WRX.

Does anyone know the production numbers of these cars??
    I don't know about the production numbers but I've experienced the same thing in the St Louis area. I've never seen a Plasma Blue on the road and of the 3-4 dealerships in the area only 1 of them was getting 1 Plasma Blue 5-door. The sales manager told me that he only saw 3 Plasma Blues for the midwest region and they were supposed to get two of them. Course he's a sales manager so I guess take it with a grain of salt.