Snow Tires?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Snow Tires? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; New here-- was wondering if anyone could recommend a good set of wheels and a good set of snow/winter tires ...

Snow Tires?

New here-- was wondering if anyone could recommend a good set of wheels and a good set of snow/winter tires to go with them for an '11 WRX. I don't want to put anything expensive on there (it doesn't snow much too much here). Looking for a reliable set, while not breaking the bank (as I said they wouldn't be needed too much).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

General Altimax Arctic. Very cheap and still one of the highest rated snows.
    2011 WRX Base Hatch in Obsidian Black Pearl
    Stink-Eye Mob #027
    My Car
    - Mike

Just get a nice set of all seasons, here in MN it is six months of snow drift'n so I use the blizzaks and they kick some ass!
    STAGE 1 IS MORE FUN BUT STAGE 2 THERE'S MORE TO DO

It would really help if you told us where you were as climate conditions tend to vary from place to place.

Quote Originally Posted by nyr8er View Post
    General Altimax Arctic. Very cheap and still one of the highest rated snows.
    +1 thats what I plan on getting in the coming months.

Quote Originally Posted by jgardiner View Post
    It would really help if you told us where you were as climate conditions tend to vary from place to place.
    I'm in Philadelphia, PA. I would be using these guys from late November through mid-Febuary.

I Support ClubWRX
    I ran General Altimax last year.Great to drive through snow.Not so great in the dry.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Any particular rims? The stock ones? I'm thinking about getting a cheap pair so I don't mess up the stock rims (which I really like).

I Support ClubWRX
    You can get a set of steelies or some cheap alloys.Or even look for a set of used wheels.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Oh I'm in Philadelphia too. I plan on running General Altimax this winter with 16in steelies from tire rack. Currently still saving up haha but hopefully I can get the set by mid november at the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I ran General Altimax last year.Great to drive through snow.Not so great in the dry.
    I concur. I broke 'em loose several times under hard acceleration on dry pavement last season. But, I'm OK with that considering the snow performance is outstanding. In fact, I'm getting excited for snow this year!!
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

I'm in Philly 3, and I run Michelin Alpin A3s. They are like having tank treads. Love em....but the previous owner had them when I bought the car. They were mounted to cheapo ASA wheels from Tire Rack, so they are ugly...I need to paint them in some obnoxious color.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    I was thinking of getting my winter wheels painted but I know that they are bound to get scratched & can't decide whether it is worth it.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I think someone answered this in another winter wheel set up, but for the life of me I can't remember what the answer was...

If I go with Generals with 16in steelies what should I expect for a drop in ride height, or if any at all. My suspension is stock so I'm at stock height with the 17s but with the 16 steelies with winter tires should I expect a noticeable drop? Last thing I want is to have our weak front bumpers act like a snow plow lol.

I was looking at Michelin Alpin PA3, for a winter setup as well. On tirerack.com they only come in 17". Originally I was thinking of going with 16" 215 width instead of the 235 width on 17" for better performance in snow(does 20mm really make that much difference?). But for what seems like such a highly rated tire would it make a huge difference staying with the Alpins on the stock wheels, instead of going to another tire on 16" wheels and having to buy another set of wheels? Driving in snow is a must for me, but I would like to retain dry performance as well.
    ~::2011 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited WRB::~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast